What's new

When is a Newbie not a Newbie?

Sounds like the start of a good joke, but unfortunately I don't have a good punch line.

I was, however, curious when those of you who do not consider yourself Newbies decided when that was the case...

I have been "traditional" wet shaving for around 10 months and part of this great forum for about 8 months. I have soaked in lots of great advise, and even given some good advice. I have PIF'd away a couple of things and have received a PIF as well! I own 4 modern DE razors including a Muhle R41 and have a few vintage Gillettes as well. Frankly the R41 continues to slap me in the face to tell me I still have much to learn...

I still constantly find myself learning something new on the web (Primarily from B&B), uncertain about lots of stuff, and questioning many things I hear or see regarding this whole "wet shaving" thing. The AD kicked in pretty bad lately - mostly for RR soaps and splashes (I know I am not alone here).

I have yet to go down the SE or Straight razor road, but will probably do so before long.

I want to say I am no longer a Newbie, and maybe I am not, but i don't quite feel like I have the expertise yet to stand on the same playing field as as the plethora of experienced gentlemen (and some ladies) that make this place what it is today.

So tell me...
When did you start to consider yourself as no longer a Newbie? What was the trigger point for you, or was there one? Maybe it was a gradual incline in knowledge on the subject and realization just hit you one day...?
Do you think you are almost there but have not yet reached the point where you turn the page and leave the Newbie chapter behind?

Also, maybe one of you can come up with a good punchline that this title is sorely missing... :biggrin1:

Cheers

Good question, maybe when you have your technique to the point where you consistently get bbs every day? I am over 2 years in and feel I have it down for shaving, however, I still learn new stuff here all the time!

I started DE shaving in the 60s, but I still learn some stuff here so I don't mind thinking of myself as a newbie.

Just because you're not a newbie doesn't mean you're a vet. In general, I think one stops being a newbie when he can show something to the people coming up behind him (or her), and yet realize (s)he still has a lot to learn.

I've never been big on classifications as I feel frankly they don't matter. Unless you are writing the book on the subject, you are still the student. But, I'd say, when you've got the basics down, you've surpassed the newbie status.

I feel the Newbie status is a pretty short stretch. The fact that you're using terms like "wet shaving" "double-edged" "vintage Gillette" etc. means you've already surpassed that phase.

5000 shaves with over 20 soaps/creams. At least 15 A/S's.
5 vintage razors as well as 5 new. And no less than 4 brushes. 1 has to be boar.

LOL. You are no longer a new when you feel like your shaves are consistent with your hardware and software to where you feel like you"got it". Nicks and weepers happen, but when you are getting quality shaves regularly I think you can consider yourself a non newbie.
Also if you have learned to search for answers before asking questions on the forum qualifies you as an experienced wet shaver.

I started DE shaving in the 60s, but I still learn some stuff here so I don't mind thinking of myself as a newbie.

I'm a newbie already for about 30 years ... the reality is that the ways to gain knowledge (and try new products) were very limited in the pre-internet days.

After 3-4 weeks, when I had developed reliable, repeatable technique and consistent DFS/BBS, then I felt like a non-newb. Not a true veteran, but not a total green horn, either.

I think one stops being a compete newbie once they can consistently get a good shave because they have developed a satisfactory technique, and have a good foundation of knowledge and understanding how to get that consistent result. This doesn't mean there is nothing left to learn, as even an expert in anything can always learn something new. It means you've "got it".

It doesn't matter how many razors one has, how many brushes they have, how many soaps they tried, or how many brands of blades they have. Once you can take what you do have and get a DFS for a significant number of your shaves, you have advanced beyond being a newbie.

Of course, it's all subjective so YMMV.

I've been wet shaving for my whole life, doing it this more traditional way for, I dunno, years and years. I still consider myself a newbie.
If you've gone a day without learning something new, you've wasted a day.

a newbie is not a newbie when he starts getting consistently good shaves. therefore, i am still very much a newbie.

a newbie is not a newbie when he knows to post on the newbie forum instead of the general information. i am still a newbie.

Lots of excellent points and views. What I find fascinating is that we all seem to find this task of grooming and shaving has become a very enjoyable experience, a fun hobby, and in some cases a downright obsession. I think one of the reasons for this is that there is always something new to learn, some new device to try, a new soap or AS to use, etc... In that sense many of us will remain Newbies to some extent. I guess if I ever get tired of this and get by facial hair layered off permanently, then I will no longer be a Newbie - at least in this.
Here's to never becoming a Newbie...
Cheers,
NRAM
(ps. Anyone have a good punchline for the title?)

Top Bottom