What's new

Sweater vests CANNOT be worn with a suit, correct?

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Looks to me like he proceeded with caution and succeeded in his sartorial efforts. (Acutally, I'm not sure about the white pants, personally...)

I'm not sure that a golfer is a good example of fashion sense! :lol:

$classy-golf-wear-men.jpg

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
I'm not sure that a golfer is a good example of fashion sense! :lol:

Got to agree there. My niece used to date a guy who golfed regularly. She referred to his golf outfit as his "jackass pants". He went by the name of Disco, so I can understand her comment.

On sweater vests...I really hate them, but if you want to wear one with a suit, or even a tuxedo, go for it, it's your image you're ruining :w00t:

In all of these threads in which someone asks "can I wear X with Y", one must remember the difference between fashion and style. Fashion will give you an absolute answer of right or wrong, but the irony is that the definitive answer changes with the time. In other words, it's absolutely wrong today, but in two years, it's absolutely right. It has nothing to do with style.

Style has to do with character. It's a reflection, when done right, of what makes you who you are. One of my favorite Nietzsche quotes is:

“Giving style” to one’s character - a great and rare art! It is exercised by those who see all the strengths and weaknesses of their own natures and then comprehend them in an artistic plan until everything appears as art and reason and even weakness delights the eye.”

This is all a bit overboard on my part to make a simple point. If you think you can pull off a sweater vest with a suit, then go for it. People whose minds run along rails where this is permitted but that is not, will tut tut, but those people don't add much to the total sum of happiness and creativity in the world. You shouldn't care what they think because the minute you do, then you're their slave.

On the other hand, be aware that you might look very much like a tool. It's a real risk. As others said above, you may want to proceed with caution and that, in my opinion, means a subtle, single color v-neck of silk or silk/linen blend that is very nicely tailored and not at all baggy. Done right, I think you'll look elegant. It can be done and maybe you're the guy to do it. Besides, so what if it fails. You tried. What are they going to do? Take your birthday away from you?

I'm 30 and in the winter I wear either a cardigan or pull over v-neck sweater with a tie and slacks. I am regularly complemented on my office dress by my customers and co-workers and thought of as a good dresser. I'm in Kansas City, not exactly the fashion mecca of the mid-west, but I know how to read GQ and pick my own personal style.

I personally think sweater vests look silly at all, especially worn with a collar or tie.

That being said, try it on, look in the mirror. If you like it, wear it. If anyone disagrees with it, tell them to turn up the temperature in the office.

Top Bottom