What's new

Parker 51 Vacumatic probably needs repair work. Info needed.

I bought a 51 vac on ebay and it's not holding ink. It bubbles when in water, but it seems to only suck up enough ink to write a sentence or 3. I love the pen and I'd like to get it working properly. I know there are repair kits online, but I don't think I want to risk breaking this pen. I'd rather pay someone to do it, as long as the price is right. The problem is, I don't know where to start...but I'm pretty sure you guys do.

So, where should I start and who should I email if it's busted?

Thanks!

That's what I gathered from my initial searching around. They require too many specialty tools for my liking, especially considering the cost of replacement.

That looks perfect. I inked it up after posting and it held out for at least half a page or so of solid writing. I'm going to ops test it and see how it holds up on the ground and in the air before sending it off. Thanks for the info!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
That looks perfect. I inked it up after posting and it held out for at least half a page or so of solid writing. I'm going to ops test it and see how it holds up on the ground and in the air before sending it off. Thanks for the info!

Wear an old shirt!

If its your only 51 Vac, and only one you plan to have for some time, its better to just send it off to someone. If you were planning on getting a few 51 vacs, Normal Vacumatics, or some Duofolds, the tools would be worth it.

Your usually looking at around $30 for sac replacement from a pen repairer. To do it yourself your looking at $35 for the tool, if you need a new pump $25, $3 for the sac, $2 for powder, $3 for lubricant, plus a couple bucks for a pellet pusher (or can just use a cut down q-tip if you get the really stiff kind).

If you are planning on getting more, I will say its very rewarding to restore your own pens.

I'll probably just have the one. I'm not so much into pens as a hobby as I just like a nice pen. I have several on hand because I wanted to try a few and narrow down a favorite, but I don't see myself becoming a collector in any sense of the word. I have too many hobbies already and just like nice tools for the job at hand. Besides, I'm usually only marking initials on flight orders, copying down clearances and marking times with black ink.

Wear an old shirt!
Hopefully I won't need it. I havne't had a pen leak while flying to the point that it ruins my cloths. I've come out with black hands a few times, however. So it goes with a FP sometimes though, right? :)

Top Bottom