What's new

Blended Scotch Whisky

I'm normally drinking something from Islay but when I want something less intense I have been turning to Speyside 10 yr old. Only $25 and a nice easy to drink scotch.

JW black or Monkey Shoulder.

Black&White if i'm on a tight budget.

always wanted to try Black and White and Teacher's and White Horse, never found them in less than a handle (1.75) around me and they are never seen in bars...both have been recommended by other's to me...one day I will find a place I can get a pint or half pint to try

I'm normally drinking something from Islay but when I want something less intense I have been turning to Speyside 10 yr old. Only $25 and a nice easy to drink scotch.

Excellent, and even better, Speyburn is actually a single malt and not a bad one at that. An absolute bargain at $20-25.

How do all Blended scotch threads always turn to a general scotch and single malt discussion...? Stay on track folks, cheap is not why we drink blends. Some are in fact not cheap: JW Blue, Platinum and Gold, Buchanan's 18, most of the Compass Box line. We drink them for there flavor profile and consistency.

Sorry had to pipe in there

Excellent, and even better, Speyburn is actually a single malt and not a bad one at that. An absolute bargain at $20-25.

LOL...thank you, yes Speyburn, not Speyside. Was thinking location I guess. Anyway, I quite enjoy it. My girlfriend bought it for me as an Xmas gift, quite the surprise how good it was.

How do all Blended scotch threads always turn to a general scotch and single malt discussion...? Stay on track folks, cheap is not why we drink blends. Some are in fact not cheap: JW Blue, Platinum and Gold, Buchanan's 18, most of the Compass Box line. We drink them for there flavor profile and consistency.

Sorry had to pipe in there

While I agree with you on blends, I don't think the thread had turned with one mention of a single malt. Not a soul said anything about buying a bargain single malt instead of a quality blend. It was previously mentioned and commented on in return.

On a side note, why anyone in their right mind would pony up the $$ for JW Blue is beyond me. Or any of the others above the price point of JW Green for that matter. Not because they are blends, per se, but because there are so many others that are better and much less expensive, IMHO.

While I agree with you on blends, I don't think the thread had turned with one mention of a single malt. Not a soul said anything about buying a bargain single malt instead of a quality blend. It was previously mentioned and commented on in return.

true, but there were several single malt suggestions when the OP had inquired specifically about blends; I did not think the thread went off track, more I was commenting that all threads tend toward singles despite the blend intention, have seen it before, just an observation, more than a critique. Just seems like when mentioning blends folks tend to comment on their good single malts at the low end price range.

a side note, why anyone in their right mind would pony up the $$ for JW Blue is beyond me. Or any of the others above the price point of JW Green for that matter. Not because they are blends, per se, but because there are so many others that are better and much less expensive, IMHO.

now this I can't agree with you more, Blue is so out of range for what it is, So much better scotch for the same money or less! single, Blends or otherwise..shows you what a good marketing campaign can accomplish!

now this I can't agree with you more, Blue is so out of range for what it is, So much better scotch for the same money or less! single, Blends or otherwise..shows you what a good marketing campaign can accomplish!

I cringe when I see the price tag on JW Blue. It may very well be a fine blended scotch, but there are so many really good blends available at much better prices that it just isn't even close to being reasonably priced. Yup, the Diageo marketing machine is a mighty beast.

true, but there were several single malt suggestions when the OP had inquired specifically about blends; I did not think the thread went off track, more I was commenting that all threads tend toward singles despite the blend intention, have seen it before, just an observation, more than a critique. Just seems like when mentioning blends folks tend to comment on their good single malts at the low end price range.!

Does that surprise you?

When people ask about a good new DE razor here, you can wait for the guys advising a Tech or SuperSpeed. Or a "NEW" instead of a "new razor".

It's the nature of the beast :wink2: (and I am probably guilty sometimes as well).

Has anyone tried Cutty Sark Prohibition? I ran into it today for $30, but didn't pull the trigger.
Picked up a bottle today for $23. I like it! The nose is toffee and vanilla, the taste is honey and caramel, and the finish is spicy and peppery in a good way. No alcohol burn at all.

China's, JW Black, or some Dimple are my go to blends. Have definitely enjoyed the Monkey Shoulder as well in the past though.

As far as the JW range goes, I have always found the Green to be my favourite. I prefer it to the Blue and Gold, not just on price point.

Finally got me some Monkey Shoulder. It's really good. But it's not twice as good as whiskeys half its price. I think I'm just too frugal to buy it again.

Finally got me some Monkey Shoulder. It's really good. But it's not twice as good as whiskeys half its price. I think I'm just too frugal to buy it again.

How much did you have to pay?
It's about $40 around here. I think it's a steal for that price.

Top Bottom