What's new

OC Slant

You're very welcome Bill. I couldn't exactly recall who I sold the Valencia to.

I used it a fewer than ten times, the rest of the time it sat on my shelf.

I'm glad it went to a good home and that you're enjoying and using it.

My German D.Corrado OC double slant came in last night. Gave it a spin this morning - Great shaver! Here are a few pics.

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

I own a Ziglar and a Henckels open comb slant, likely of early Merkur manufature- just like the above D. Corrado which was a Chicago based apothecary. That is not a double slant.

This is a double slant:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow Jeff - thanks for posting that beautiful slant! I've been keeping my eyes open for slants - that has to be the most gorgeous slant I have seen to date. I bet it smells like MINT :wink2: !

Here are a couple more pics of OC slants - Fasan (top of pic 1 & pic 2); Trumpf, KWC, & D.Corrado (bottom row pic 1).

$image.jpg

$image.jpg

Thanks Jeff - I hadn't seen nor heard of Trumpf, KWC, nor D.Corrado slants before today! Very nice selection, are they all in active rotation?

There were a LOT of bakelite slants being made back then. I wonder what was the practical reason for using bakelite for manufacturing... I have a couple - they sure are light and can zip around the face.

Ciao

Hi,

It is easier to make something with multiple curves, like slant parts, from plastic (which is moldable) than metal. That, in turn, makes it less costly. Plus, a lot these were made when plastics were the 'in' thing, so many people were preferring plastic over metal.

I have a later production Fasan with a metal top cap and a plastic base plate and handle. My earlier one is of the same design but sports a plastic top cap. I have seen others with metal for both the top cap and handle, with only the base plate made from plastic. So, it varies.

Stan

hdjj00,

thank you for sharing the pics of your new Corrado OC slant. Yes, that one looks exactly like my Merkur OC slant, except that the handle on the Merkur has a different plating.

So Merkur sold their razors under the Corrado branding, also.

Btw. the comb baseplate fits on a Hoffritz travel slant and a Merkur / Hoffritz 3 - piece slant.

Shanman,

I posted these pics in another threat a while ago but I think I should post them here also as it is becoming an interesting threat IMO:

$1.jpg

$2.jpg

$3.jpg

$4.jpg

That Merkur no. 18 is probably from the late 40ies or the mid 50ies.
The top cap has the same steep angle like your Hoffritz slant; the top cap is identical.

There was also an Abercrombie & Fitch OC slant out there. It has a different top cap but the same bottom plate like the Merkur no. 18.

So one could say that the Merkur no. 18, the early Hoffritz slant and the Abercrombie & Fitch OC slant are cousins.

Last edited:
At the moment only Merkur, Ikon, RazoRock(they did release the Stealth with full production promised) produce a slant, but those are all closed combed slants... So no modern day open-comb slants are being produced that I know of..

Here's a pic of the bottom end of the fixed Valencia slant head razor and a Ziglar open comb slant ... When I get my camera back I'll add some of the 3 Piece Valencia, skinny handle, that can inter-change with other handles..

$ziglar & Valencia 005.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice looking razors I wish I could find one on the Bay but they are probably snatched up within seconds of being posted.

Hi,

OK. I am remiss. I have not added pics of mine. Sorry. Will y'all ever forgive me?

Fasan Double Slants:

$Fasan_1_2.jpg

Fasan #1 with Gold Fat Tech Handle:

$Fasan_1_Gold_Tech_2.jpg

Fasan #2 with Rhodium plated Common Bar Handle:

$Fasan_2_Bar.jpg

Might as well do the #2 with the Gold Fat Tech and create a 3-tone effect:

$Fasan_2_Gold_Tech_2.jpg

Both the Fat Tech and Common Bar handles are loaded with #8 shot to make them heavier. ;)

Stan

Tried the best I could to illustrate the versatility of the Valencia 3 piece( I call it "the skinny handle Valencia)... Just a magnificent razor!!!

$2014-07-31 jerry & Valencia 3 piece1.jpg

Top Bottom