What's new

Maybe Gillette won't bring back the DE, but they could bring back the names of DEs

Perhaps one day Gillette will bring out some fancy gizmo that's got 16 blades and has some element of adjustability to it. And then they could use the name "Adjustable" again. Or perhaps Fatboy. I could also see them releasing some fancy gold Fusion, maybe all metal, and call it the All New Aristocrat.

But then, I guess only guys who hang around here would recall these names.

Whatever happens, I do see Gillette and other companies coming up with some creative responses to the increasing demand for higher quality shaving products. I think it will be many years before the "long tail" market of DEs gets to the point where Gillette would want to make them again, but it could actually happen one day - I

I strongly doubt that they would care to bring back even the names. The names are quite old fashioned and classical and don´t fit the current marketing image of the company as being fancy, hip and young. Maybe in the 1940´s "Aristocrat" sounded nice and gave good associations to the customers, but companies seem to think that names like "Mach 3" or "Fusion stealth" sound better in the ears of the customers. And "fatboy" seems to have been no official name when it came out, but rather a nickname given to it by today´s collectors.
By the way, I much prefer the names that Wilkinson gives their products these days. They are much more down-to-earth than Gillette´s.

Fatboy is simply the Gillette Adjustable Razor. The nickname Fatboy comes from the later Slim Adjustable. The old was fat and the new is slim.

that new thing of their's with the pivoting ball thingy could be the Gillette Dyson in honour of the uncanny resemblance to the vacuum cleaner of the same name :blink:

PhatBoys!
Hip name
shaves like this.
$brittles.jpg

Last edited:
Gillette really shot themselves in the foot by making a product that will last more than 100 years. They will never make that mistake again. Instead, every year they will tack some gizmo to a razor that has been designed to break within two years. What's the next gizmo? How about a self lathering blade? Sort of a super goo strip that lasts almost a week?

Hi,

Ok. They can make the eBayers happy. Stick an on/off lever onto the Fusion Ball so one can lock the ball motion off....

....and call it Toggle....

Come to think on it, they have yet to plop a free Fusion Ball into my mailbox like they have done with all the models prior....

Stan

Using the classic Gillette names (such as - New, Old, Aristocrat, Superspeed, Deluxe, Tuckaway etc) on the modern disposable cartridges would be an insult to the quality products they once produced. I hope that it does not happen, although I saw the thread link about the Tech.

It would be amusing for them to reuse names or nicknames from their old school razors, but I like that their modern carts don't share the same names. Not that I'm a fan of the modern razor names, but it would be annoying if a search for "Gillette Aristocrat" would lump the older and modern razors together. So anyone looking to find info might get confused, and even the people who are aware that these are two entirely different razors would have to wade through the results to find what they're looking for.

Even if we were 1million DE users across the Americas, that would still be insignificant in comparison of the billion of cart users. Why would Gillette promote a shaving method that is mildly profitable at best ? They are trying to eradicate us like the plague, all our hope is turned toward Russia and India... if those 2 to fall... we are doomed! DOOMED!!!!

I scared myself, I need to buy a couple bulk of blades now loll

Top Bottom