What's new

Found Bank of England Notes One Pound and 10 Shillings in Bible

I bought a bible at a garage sale today for 25 cents and when I got home I found a Bank of England One Pound Note and a Bank of England Ten Shillings note inside of it. I tried to research the notes but not a lot of info was available, by the signature it appears they are both from the early 60's with Jasper Q. Hollom's signature on them as Chief Cashier. If anyone knows something about them or what to do with them, I know, spend them, hehe, not sure about if they are collectors items etc. thanks

$photo.jpg

Ha, back in the good old days when 10s was a lot of money! I haven't seen a 10 bob note in years - we got decimalised in 1971 and lost all our proper money.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Um ... back when the English used shillings and pence and stuff ... a pound was 20 shillings.

So ... 20 shillings + 10 shillings = 30 shillings. Shillings were made of silver originally ... thirty pieces of silver ... get it?

The old green pound note went many years ago with the introduction of the pound coin.

I have an amusing story about pound notes. Some while ago, I was working with an Punjabi Indian guy and I was off to Scotland for a holiday. He gave me £50 and asked me to change it into Scottish pound notes as they kept them for a long time after England and Wales turned to the coins. Don't know if they still do them.

The reason was that when Indians go to weddings, there is a tradition of pinning money (notes) to the bride's dress to ensure the couple plenty of money in their future. He said it was costing him a fortune pinning on £5 notes! Apparently they were all converting to Scottish £1 notes to save money as they went to lots of weddings!

Gareth

PS. I'm old enough to remember having a decent night out on a ten bob note!

The old green pound note went many years ago with the introduction of the pound coin.

I have an amusing story about pound notes. Some while ago, I was working with an Punjabi Indian guy and I was off to Scotland for a holiday. He gave me £50 and asked me to change it into Scottish pound notes as they kept them for a long time after England and Wales turned to the coins. Don't know if they still do them.

The reason was that when Indians go to weddings, there is a tradition of pinning money (notes) to the bride's dress to ensure the couple plenty of money in their future. He said it was costing him a fortune pinning on £5 notes! Apparently they were all converting to Scottish £1 notes to save money as they went to lots of weddings!

Gareth

PS. I'm old enough to remember having a decent night out on a ten bob note!

Neat tradition, thanks for sharing! I guess I'm a bit of a geek for these kinds of culture tradition things and don't know why.

Ah yes the pound note. Back when.....I was a kid you could buy a pack of fags for under a £1. I dont smoke any more and fags are way past a £1 for 20.

Top Bottom