What's new

Soft Bits

What a niche topic, but here goes...

I like having soft bits on my pipes... the kind that every store sells... partly for comfort, partly for protection. But what I don't get is, why the thick collar? When I put them on a stem, flush with the tip of the bit, the tip of the bit is so darned thick. I have gone to trimming the thick collar off, but then the soft bit is kinda short.

Anybody use any alternatives? Would be nice to just get this in a tube and trim the length I want.

Dave

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Yes.

However, I don't use it. I actually like the thickness of the softies. My pipes tend to be big, and I clench, so the extra cushion makes them easier to grip. Now if I could just find someway to prevent the TMJ. :lol:

Yes.

However, I don't use it. I actually like the thickness of the softies. My pipes tend to be big, and I clench, so the extra cushion makes them easier to grip. Now if I could just find someway to prevent the TMJ. :lol:

I'm not big on clenching, for me i end up slobbering more while clenching and it can get kind of gross :lol:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I'm not big on clenching, for me i end up slobbering more while clenching and it can get kind of gross :lol:

For some reason clenching a pipe does not have that effect on me, but clenching a cigar does. Trying to do yard work work with a cigar is twice as much work as without.

I bought some plastic tubing for my pipes and it works pretty well.

I am a cascading clincher as well.

I just do this every once in a while:

$2678_1036874367386_3576981_n.jpg

Why not put the bit on backwards, so the flared part is beyond where your teeth go? Otherwise I'd go to the hardware store and get some tubing, there's some in the plumbing section that's probably perfect for this, thick and soft but tough.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Not all softies are equal, the cheaper ones initially have a rubber taste, the more expensive ones don't and are a bit thicker and more cushion as well.

Fry's Electronics has shrink tubing in various sizes and colors, probably Radio Shack, too.

Dave

Top Bottom