What's new

Nib Acquisitions July 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
$20140630_182044.jpg$20140630_170840.jpg

Landed this standard size Eversharp Skyline with an extra fine flexible nib. Turns out it had the ink window too!:thumbup:

I just had to install a new sack.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
The longitudinal lines make it scarcer than the other gold-filled caps, congrats Gus!

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
That's Gus Muranko thank you very much:w00t:

It writes great nonetheless, and gives it some character too.

Have you done a Google search yet? I've enjoyed looking up previous owners, I've got a few good stories.

Have you done a Google search yet? I've enjoyed looking up previous owners, I've got a few good stories.
I tried, and Google didn't know who he was either:laugh:

I have had a couple of pens come my way that have been personalized, but have yet to come across one that has a story with it.....its not like it belonged to John Voight!

Last edited by a moderator:
$20140702_074001.jpg

Those little black flakes you see...part of the sac. A bit of an impulse buy on da bay. i think i got the set for about $25. Now I just need to learn how to resac and clean and polish.
Yep, I said RESAC.

View attachment 468028

Now I just need to learn how to resac and clean and polish.
Yep, I said RESAC.

Very nice set. Not hard to resac...the hardest part/scariest part for me is getting the pen apart without damaging it. Just the right amount of heat usually loosens the section from the body without damaging the celluloid/plastic. Putting the new sac on is easy. Richard Binder's site has a wonderful walk through FYI...its under the reference page of his website.http://www.richardspens.com/

View attachment 468028

Those little black flakes you see...part of the sac. A bit of an impulse buy on da bay. i think i got the set for about $25. Now I just need to learn how to resac and clean and polish.
Yep, I said RESAC.

Nice deal on a very nice pen & pencil set. They look fantastic and, once restored, should be a worthy addition to your collection of writing tools. Resacing a lever-filler pen is generally pretty easy. The link that jochums referenced should give you plenty of information. If you get hung up, feel free to give us a shout.

Not totally new this month, but sort of new since I just finished restoring and resaccing these recent acquisitions. My obsession with old, pretty celluloid pens still seems to be going strong. :tongue_sm

$IMG_1639.jpg

$IMG_1640.jpg

From left to right:

1) Vacuum-Fil (Sheaffer sub-brand). Pretty little pen, but it's going to need a nib transplant before it's usable. There's a nasty split running from the breather hole almost to the section.
2) Parker Parkette (1949). Also going to need some nib work, as the Iridium tip is mostly gone. I might try grinding it down to an italic if I feel ambitious.
3) Parker Deluxe Challenger (1st quarter 1938). This one should be ready to roll.
4) Wearever Pacemaker. One of the few Wearever pens with a 14K gold nib. I'm really looking forward to filling this one up and giving it a try.
5) Majestic. Also with a 14K nib. The pocket clip is loose but otherwise it's a beauty.

4) Wearever Pacemaker. One of the few Wearever pens with a 14K gold nib. I'm really looking forward to filling this one up and giving it a try.
5) Majestic. Also with a 14K nib. The pocket clip is loose but otherwise it's a beauty.

Larry, Nice work. All the pens look nice, but these two are really eye catching imho.:thumbup1:

Some recent purchases arrived in the mail today :w00t:

$DSCF6685.JPG

Platinum 3776 Century (UEF)
Pilot Metropolitan (F)
Pelikan Brilliant Black
Namiki Black
Misc carts

Am really liking the Platinum :001_tt1: could quite happily never purchase another pen again....

Should we hold you to this?:laugh:

Seriously, Nice hall, have never tried a Platinum, but have been wanting to.

I can honestly say that my fountain pen purchases will be severely impacted after purchasing this beauty. The bar has been raised significantly.

Great pen all around, there is some feedback/scratchy-ness on the nib, but considering that the nib is UEF, not unexpected.

Just back from a quick July 4 visit to the local antique mall. Managed to score a Waterman 52 1/2V BCHR pen, a Sheaffer Sentinel Snorkel pen and pencil set in burgundy, a junk Esterbrook J with 9668 nib (bought for nib and parts), and a mostly-full bottle of vintage Parker Quink Washable Blue ink. Good haul for not a lot of $$$. The Waterman needs a good cleaning and a new sac, and the Snorkel will have to go out to Danny Fudge for a filler restoration.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
This should have been posted in the June thread, but I came back sick from Germany and had no will to go online.
OK, here it is:
two bottles Pelikan Blue/black
Pelikan M400, medium gold nib for my 200 demonstrator
Pelikan lim. ed. 200 demo in the nice goldenbrown cognac color with italic nib

Excuse me for bragging a bit, but I just had to share this with folks who would appreciate it. My wife, her girlfriend, and I were at an outdoor flea market yesterday. I had thought I had checked all the sellers for interesting items (I was primarily looking for old safety razors and pens), when my wife walked up to me and excitedly asked if I had seen the fountain pen. She pointed to a vendor's table all the way at the end of the row of sellers, separated from the rest by several empty tables. I had briefly looked at his items but didn't see anything of interest. She and I walked back to the table and there, partially buried under a bunch of miscellaneous junk, was a red Caran d'Ache box. I opened it up and found this:

proxy.php

proxy.php

It's a Caran d'Ache Leman fountain pen, the "Rhodium Mirror" model. It's engraved "C & W/CRC Merger 6/27/01" Both companies are New York-based real estate investment firms. Apparently the pen was used in the merger signing and put away for the last 13 years. There was an empty ink cartridge and plenty of dried up ink in the feed, but otherwise it was pristine.

Here's the real fun part...the seller was asking USD $25.00 for the pen, but I offered $20 and it was accepted.
proxy.php
(When new, this pen retailed for $500+)

I just filled the converter with Iroshizuku Ku-jaku and the 18K Medium nib is writing wonderfully. We're planning on hanging on to this one for a while. It's a beauty, and except for the rather loud engraving, is a lovely addition to our collection of writing instruments. Since my wife is Swiss, she's particularly happy with her find.

Excuse me for bragging a bit, but I just had to share this with folks who would appreciate it. My wife, her girlfriend, and I were at an outdoor flea market yesterday. I had thought I had checked all the sellers for interesting items (I was primarily looking for old safety razors and pens), when my wife walked up to me and excitedly asked if I had seen the fountain pen. She pointed to a vendor's table all the way at the end of the row of sellers, separated from the rest by several empty tables. I had briefly looked at his items but didn't see anything of interest. She and I walked back to the table and there, partially buried under a bunch of miscellaneous junk, was a red Caran d'Ache box. I opened it up and found this:

proxy.php

proxy.php

It's a Caran d'Ache Leman fountain pen, the "Rhodium Mirror" model. It's engraved "C & W/CRC Merger 6/27/01" Both companies are New York-based real estate investment firms. Apparently the pen was used in the merger signing and put away for the last 13 years. There was an empty ink cartridge and plenty of dried up ink in the feed, but otherwise it was pristine.

Here's the real fun part...the seller was asking USD $25.00 for the pen, but I offered $20 and it was accepted.
proxy.php
(When new, this pen retailed for $500+)

I just filled the converter with Iroshizuku Ku-jaku and the 18K Medium nib is writing wonderfully. We're planning on hanging on to this one for a while. It's a beauty, and except for the rather loud engraving, is a lovely addition to our collection of writing instruments. Since my wife is Swiss, she's particularly happy with her find.

Larry,

Great find. Congratulations.

I'd be bragging to if I had made a find like that...I'd be bragging more if my wife was excited to be helping me make a find like that. Mine does not seem to impressed with my AD's.

Larry,

Great find. Congratulations.

I'd be bragging to if I had made a find like that...I'd be bragging more if my wife was excited to be helping me make a find like that. Mine does not seem to impressed with my AD's.
I think she's more impressed with the fact that it's a Swiss pen, rather than that it's a nice fountain pen. She generally prefers ballpoints. :ohmy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom