What's new

Aussie Pass-around box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the box is packed up and ready to be sent on. Its been an enjoyable time trying some new things. Once I get shipping details I'll post those this afternoon.

I've added into the box a few Derby shave sticks, an unopend Valobra Almond soap and a few more blades for others to test.
$photob.jpg

Out of the box comes a sample of the mama bears iceberg and box of kai blades. Hopefully those to come have as an enjoyable time with the box as those before them have.

Well guys I couldn't wait to open the box. On the account of so much stuff [emoji2] I devised the battle plan and drawn the lines. About to have a bite to eat and brew some coffee. First review to come shortly !

First order of business I thought I'd add some picks of my den.

I don't have a million things but what I do have I treasure and enjoy each and every day.

Attachments

• $Den shot 1.jpg
    $Den shot 1.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 32
  • $Den creams.jpg
    $Den creams.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 32
  • $Den soaps.jpg
    $Den soaps.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 32
Razor: Gillette New Short comb
Brush: B&B Essential
Blade: Crown
Cream: Musgo Real original
Aftershave: Royal Musk
Prep: A wash with face soap followed by a hot towel

The shave:

Razor: Gillette New Short comb

I have been wanting to try this razor for a long time as it is very popular and get often mentioned as one of the must have vintage razors. I have hesitated to buy one in the past as had bad experiences with other vintage open combs such as the Gillette Senator. The senator for me was not a smooth shaver and the handle, not very ergonomic; due to it being small and thin.
Again the handle on the new is smaller, however benefits greatly from extra girth. As for the shaving characteristics I really enjoyed it. Being the first time I have used this razor I found it easy to use first go. My main like/dislike of any razor is whether it feels smooth in use. For me the Gillette New is smooth and efficient due to it being an open comb. I think with continued use the shave will only improve.

Brush: B&B Essential

To date I have owned Semogues and Omegas. The B&B essential is the partnership of two great elements. Semogues have well finished handles that have some heft, giving the user confidence that it is a quality product. Omegas have great knots that remain compact and present a sense of fullness on the face. Omegas have disappointing handles and Semogues tend to want to splay after continued use. The B&B essential on the other hand has a great handle and nice knot.

I found the brush very easy to hold and liked the extra weight and it likened to what you might get in a badger handle. The knot had a nice density that was very soft and felt full on the face. Flow through was fantastic and resulting in a very protective lather.

Cream: Musgo Real

A classic I had yet to try. A mild green cologne scent. Found it very easy to lather with a pleasant cooling sensation on the skin. For me it had better cushion to say Proraso and also left the skin more moisturized in comparison. Took two rinses to remove the residue. I believe this is on account of the lanolin which feels ever so slightly oily on cleanup.
This is something I could see myself purchasing.

Aftershave: Royal Musk
Fresh sweet scent. Left skin feeling smooth. More sting than my usual Proraso green splash. For me Proraso is the better performer.

Blade: Crown
First use. Found it to be smooth however lack of sharpness resulting in tugging. Swapped it out after the second pass. Typically use Polsilvers, Feathers, Astras.

Attachments

• $Shave 1.jpg
    $Shave 1.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 38
  • $soaking.jpg
    $soaking.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 34
  • $bowl.jpg
    $bowl.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 35
  • $lather shot.jpg
    $lather shot.jpg