What's new

My Mental Hang-up on Vintage Brushes

So, I understand that the knots to vintage brushes can be sanitized and used with no problems or worries of any nastiness that may have once lived in the bristles.

Now, I collect vintage razors. I clean, sanitize and use them without a care in the world. Somehow, the idea of using a vintage brush bothers me, though. It's technically the same thing. If it's the same, why can't I get over it?

Do any of you have the same issue? Can anybody talk some since into me, so that I might feel OK with using the old brush? Thoughts?

Technically it's not the same thing - you can see that you get a old vintage razor sparkly clean, but you can't get into the nooks and crannies of a brush know.
If it's NOS, you've really got nothing to worry about. See if bristles are stable and not falling out, then go to town.
If a used knot is giving you heebie jeebies but you like the handle, then just replace the knot.

I'm not crazy. I'm not crazy. I'm not crazy. I'm not crazy. I'm not crazy. I'm not crazy. I'm not crazy. I'm not crazy...

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
The majority of my 20+ brushes were purchased used. Never contracted anything in 3+ years of using them. As said above, if it really bothers you, reknot

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I can't think of anything that might be residing on the hair of a second hand brush that wouldn't have been residing on the hair of the badger or boar that donated, and they manage to get those pretty clean.

Hmmm... If they get slathered with shaving SOAP everyday, they might be much cleaner than we are. And don't forget the daily rinse that follows...

Top Bottom