What's new

Handwriting Change

In the past six months I have been making an effort to improve my handwriting. I have changed over from printing to writing cursive again.

Being left handed it does present challenges, I have been under hand writer for years. Personally it worked great for printing and I have been trying to write cursive underhanded. For some reason writing cursive underhanded I find to be difficult.
Being left handed one becomes a pro at adapting to foreign world.

Experimenting with the hook to write cursive, did not work too well either. I have been adjusting it to come up with a position that will work. Eureka, I think I have found the solution.

It might look awkward I find it to be comfortable and best of all producing good results (in my opinion). I'm using sideways down ward hook withe the paper angled to the right. Presto fairly decent cursive hand writing.

Now the quest is to find paper that will absorb the ink quickly.

Glad you're making progress. As a fellow lefty, I know the difficulty. Have you been using something like the Palmer Method, or just winging it on your own?

Pics or it didn't happen, lol. Glad you're finding your stride, as a lefty myself, I feel your pain. I'm a hooker, errr...over writer and always have been, but when using a dip pen and nib, I underwrite. The odd part is that I've tried (and I mean TRIED) to switch to underwriting with normal fountain pens, and cannot do it to save my life. Don't know why, but like you said, we lefties have learned to adapt, so I've just gone with it. Keep at it and show us some pics...we like pics, did you know? :lol:

Pics or it didn't happen, lol. Glad you're finding your stride, as a lefty myself, I feel your pain. I'm a hooker, errr...over writer and always have been, but when using a dip pen and nib, I underwrite. The odd part is that I've tried (and I mean TRIED) to switch to underwriting with normal fountain pens, and cannot do it to save my life. Don't know why, but like you said, we lefties have learned to adapt, so I've just gone with it. Keep at it and show us some pics...we like pics, did you know? :lol:

Not to derail the thread, but every time I see something you post I can't help but read it in my head with the voice of Sheldon.

Anywho, why is underwriting left handed so difficult? I tried it for while but my handwriting was severely degraded. I find that writing with the paper straight and my perpendicular to the page, with the nib facing 11 o'clock gives me the best results. A higher grip for wetter inks eliminates smudges.

Anywho, why is underwriting left handed so difficult? I tried it for while but my handwriting was severely degraded. I find that writing with the paper straight and my perpendicular to the page, with the nib facing 11 o'clock gives me the best results. A higher grip for wetter inks eliminates smudges.

Personally, it worked for printing, writing cursive did not seem natural for some reason. It has been a long time since I have wrote with the hook.

Top Bottom