What's new

Best Fountain pen under $25?

Im trying to improve my writing and i was told fp's help. Whats the best pen to get for under $25 I saw some on amazon for like $10 like the pilot metropolitan or the jinho stuff. I saw a cross dubai at staples for $15 it was usually $35 supposedly. I have bigger hands then most so keep that in mind also please recommend good ink.

My standard recommendation for new FP users is still the Pilot Metropolitan/MR. It's a good looking pen, writes well, good quality, and inexpensive. Even if you decide you want to move on/upgrade to a different pen, it's a good introduction to fountain pens and gives you a standard to determine what your preferences/needs are.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Pilot 78G

proxy.php

Last edited:
There are decent, usable pens for under $25 new, but eventually many of us come round to justifying paying much, much more.

I'll just add a couple of models that I personally like. First, you can get a great bargain on Pilot Varsities. These are designed as disposables, but there is at least one way to refill them. They write surprisingly well, although the line they leave is rather broad.

A step up is the Pilot 78G, which comes with a converter. Some sellers, but not the one I linked to, include a cartridge as well. You might find a better deal on eBay, but I don't have a specific seller to recommend for that. I recommend the medium nib as a good width for general writing.

Many choices on inks. Here is one blue black ink, and one black ink that I would trust in any pen. Of course there are many other good possibilities, so many that it's possible to get paralyzed by all of the choices. I have actually seen bottles of the Parker Quink in Staples, but not for a while. At any rate, it can be ordered from them on line.

Another way to get a good fountain pen for not too much is to buy a decent quality vintage pen, like an Esterbrook, and fix it up. If you aren't sure you want to use a fountain pen in the first place, though, this may not be the best way to start.

And don't overlook the paper. If you find the ink from your fountain pen (whatever it is) spreading out like a magic marker and soaking through to the other side, it may just be cheap paper. Many everyday papers work well enough with FPs, but keep in mind that you may end up wanting to buy something of better quality.

Last edited:
So it seems the cross dubai is a bad pen right

I hope that someone who has actually tried one will answer. I haven't, and it may be that not many around this forum have. That doesn't mean it's a bad pen. You could also ask on Fountain Pen Network. They even have a Cross sub forum, and someone just started a thread on this pen.

Cross should be okay as a brand. I think that the cartridges they use are a proprietary design, but don't know for sure. One thing you would want to find out, if you want to use bottled ink, is whether this pen comes with a converter, or whether you can buy a converter that will fit it.

Whats the best pen to get for under $25... I saw a cross dubai at staples for $15 it was usually $35 supposedly. I have bigger hands then most so keep that in mind also please recommend good ink.

Shameful7 ... I'm a noob so recieve my words with the grain of salt requred to taste. I purchased the Dubai just last week from my local Staples, and I like it (having nothing else to compare it to, add salt here).

Pro's: Wrote very well out of the box , and looks great (I purchased the blue). Not overly wet when putting pen to paper, ink dries well.

Con's: No converter available for the Dubai, must use the Cross ink cartridge (1 black cart. included inside).

If you are wanting to write with a FP right away, Staples isn't a bad deal, just buy extra ink carts (the small ones). If you are willing to wait a couple of days for delivery, go for the Pilot Metro ... $15 for a fine nib, and a converter is included.

Best of Regards...

Start with a Pelikan Jr. Great robust pens with superb nibs for less than $10.

One of my first. Nice pen, but I find the plastic a little brittle and the cap cracked.

My standard recommendation for new FP users is still the Pilot Metropolitan/MR. It's a good looking pen, writes well, good quality, and inexpensive. Even if you decide you want to move on/upgrade to a different pen, it's a good introduction to fountain pens and gives you a standard to determine what your preferences/needs are.

Staples on line has Metros for 10 bucks. Add some ink to get over 20 bucks and they will ship free.

This comes with a converter. Some people find the difference in size between the barrel and section (where you hold it) uncomfortable. I am one of them but still a heck of a deal.

Pilot 78G

Another good pen

And for 2Bucks shipped from China you can buy 5!!!
View attachment 466293

Got my son one of those though it cost me more and am quite pleased with it for the price.

Welcome to the nib.

The Metro is my favorite FP (I own three Metros now), and for your price range I don't think you'll find anything better. Comes with a cartridge and a converter, and is now available with a Fine nib (which Staples doesn't carry, but the Goulets and Jet Pens do). All of mine are Mediums, but I don't find them to be overly bold/wet.
I also have a Jinhao X450. It is rather substantial, some may say heavy, but I like it. The grip section is a nice rubber triangle-shape, so it's pretty comfortable in the hand. I used to find it a bit scratchy, but I loaded it up today and took it to work with some J. Herbin Eclat de Saphir and it was a lot smoother than I remembered (haven't used it in a few months). They also look really good for being so inexpensive. The one thing that keeps me from giving the Jinhao a stronger recommendation is that the filling mechanism seems extremely flimsy. Mine hasn't caused any issues, but I can see how one might break easily.

I did some research and some people love the cross others hate it so im gonna get the metropolitan which has a universal good for the price approval.

So it seems the cross dubai is a bad pen right

I don't think it is a bad pen, but it is not the pen I would start out with. The Metro is an excellent choice.

The Dubai is a Cross pen that is made specifically for mass-market retailers like Staples. You won't even find mention of this pen on the Cross website. It is definitely not up to the usual Cross quality standard, in my opinion. I have to say that I am biased and I am a very big fan of Cross for a number of reasons.

Although having a "cheaper" feel to it and feeling of a lesser quality, the pen isn't really that bad. Some people say they aren't able to post the pen because the cap won't stay on. I have not had this issue. I can post the pen perfectly and I find that the weight and balance is very good when posted. The section is a chrome colored plastic. A little cheap here and it can get slippery after a longer writing session, but not the end of the world. I have the medium nib and it puts down a smooth, solid line. I've never had a complaint about a Cross nib.

So to answer the question - IMO, the Dubai is not a bad pen, but not the best pen either. That being said, it is still covered by Cross' lifetime guaranty. I wouldn't pay more than $15 for the Dubai.

I think the Metro is a great pen for under $25. I would certainly pay twice that much for one.

How about a vintage Parker 45? My first 45 was a Flighter (stainless steel) with a 14k nib. 1960's vintage. Paid $15.50 + shipping of $5.80 on ebay. Mine was a bit of a sumgai find though. The seller was thinking it was a plated steel nib.

You can certainly get a standard 45 in a variety of colors for similar pricing as a regular thing. Flighter's usually go for more.

Im ebaying right now for vintage stuff. I found A nicer parker im thinking of getting. The person misspelled the name so no one bid on it so far.

Top Bottom