What's new

Most Compatible Ink Brand

I have a Sailor Pro-Gear II pen that seems to prefer Pilot Iroshizuku over the Sailor Jentle ink. I know that not all inks are created equal and I'd like to build up a stable of inks. Right now I just have the Pilot and the Sailor brand of ink. So, my question to the community is what brand of ink seems to be the most compatible with all the different pen brands?

I have settled on J. Herbin inks as being the best and smoothest for my pens; in fact, I have decided to stick with one Herbin ink, Violette Pensee, the violet ink millions of French schoolchildren used to learn to write with.

Diamine is, generally, a wonderful ink. Easy to use, easy to clean and a great color palette. Of course, in any extensive line there may be a clunker here and there. Pelikan inks do not offer the breadth of palette but are solid, dependable inks.

There are a great many choices in bottled inks. Part of the fun is trying new inks, IMHO. Keep in mind that ink performance will greatly depend on the pen, the paper and your expectations. Good luck finding your most compatible inks.

I find Pilot inks completely reliable, both the expensive Iroshizuku ones, and the less expensive "regular", whether sold under the Pilot or Namiki brands. I use them almost exclusively in my older vintage pens. Well, I have only tried three colors of the Iroshizuku and three of the regular, but I would try their other varieties without any worries.

I'm more interested in ink properties than in finding precisely the right shade of something.

I'm having very little trouble with Namiki blue. I've also had good luck with some less saturated private reserve colors.
Pelikan inks are wonderful. Great shades and really good flow. I trust it in my vintage Pelikans

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Noodler's inks can be wonderful ... or troublesome.

It all depends on which ink you get. There are plenty of them which draw compliments, plenty which draw criticisms, plenty which draw both.

But one ink that is generally well regarded is Noodler's Black. A very nice ink, and if you are at all interested in waterproof ink, forgery-proof ink, anything like that, this is your baby.

After having Baystate Blue ruin a pen I've decided to avoid Noodler's inks. I'll probably just end up buying an assortment like Diamine, Aurora, J. Herbin and Pelikan.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
After having Baystate Blue ruin a pen I've decided to avoid Noodler's inks. I'll probably just end up buying an assortment like Diamine, Aurora, J. Herbin and Pelikan.

BSB is one of those "special" Noodler's inks that is ... um ... special. Don't judge the whole brand by it.

I enjoy using Diamine inks, I also use J Herbin inks, DeAtramentis inks and Organic Studios ink

I read a very positive review of Kaweco inks, I'm thinking of getting a bottle.

Top Bottom