What's new

Kansas City Meet up October 25, 26, 2014

Ah, another wonderful day!!! A lovely scented tube of Lavender Geranium shaving cream just came in from St. James of London. I could smell it through the box. I've never considered geranium before as a scent but this is making me think about it.

$St. James  (2).jpg

Go check out all the other shaving items that St. James of London has to offer. St. James of London

Woo hoo!!! Look what LBussy is bringing to give away as door prizes!!! Some Peppernilla and Three Wise Men shaving soap. Can't wait to catch a whiff of those. Thanks Lee for your donation.

$silver fox.jpg

For those of you DE guys, ArmyMedicDad is bringing several samples of DE blades to give out as a door prize. Thanks for doing that. It's going to make some DE guy very happy.

What a great way to start the day!! Kevin (hidestoart) is donating a bottle of Orange Blossom aftershave for a door prize. I'd love to get a whiff of that stuff (hint hint). Thanks Kevin, that's going to make someone's day.

$orange blossom AS.jpg

Last edited:
Oh my word!!!! I just got a heavy box in from St. Charles Shave and look that was inside!! And the scents??? Oh yeah, there's a bunch of them. There is a lot of soap samples to hand out and several kinds of aftershaves/balms and a tin of Bay Rum W/Twist soap for door prizes. Thank you Wendy for donating them for our meet up.

$St Charles Shave (4).jpg

$St Charles Shave (2).jpg

$St Charles Shave (5).jpg

Go check out all the other wonderful shaving items St. Charles Shave has to offer. Saint Charles Shave

Wow! I wasn't truly excited about the door prizes until now! I'll take that Woods aftershave please! Pretty please?

Thanks Wendy! SCS is awesome! That box will make a whole bunch of guys happy.

It has never crossed my mind that I ought to live closer to Kansas City, until now. Jeepers, you guys are going to have a blast. Pictures, we all need pictures of the event!

Wow! I wasn't truly excited about the door prizes until now! I'll take that Woods aftershave please! Pretty please?

Thanks Wendy! SCS is awesome! That box will make a whole bunch of guys happy.

Woods Aftershave??? I don't know what your talking about. There isn't any Woods Aftershave. But if there was, it sure would smell good! Just saying. :001_rolle

It has never crossed my mind that I ought to live closer to Kansas City, until now. Jeepers, you guys are going to have a blast. Pictures, we all need pictures of the event!

After my 2000+ mile drive round trip I'm going to wish I lived closer too!!! :lol: Its going to be worth it though, I already have a few folks who said they would spend some time with me to help me on my honing skills and to get a few pointers on shaving.

And pictures, lots of pictures!!!

Yay! Samples.

Ditto!!!

All the vendors I've talked to have been amazing! And there several more vendors who will be sending stuff for the meet up as well. As soon as they come in, I'll post them. The vendors have been very supportive and are interested in our meet up. And what a great way to find and try items. Make sure you check out the vendors' web sites or pm them a thank you for their donations especially if you win one of the door prizes and let them know we appreciate them. As a result of handling the donations I've received so far, I've already placed some orders for myself and have a few more to place. Hopefully, LOTH won't find out!! :001_rolle

I'll tell you what, even more members are bringing stuff to give out as door prizes. Modine (Mike) is bringing this stuff to the meet up. The Barber hone is NOS. Thanks Mike.

$modine.jpg

I.thought it might be interesting to ask what members are looking to get out of the upcoming Kansas City Meet, in addition to meeting other members and camaraderie, of course.

I’ll start; I’d like to come away from the event with:

A solid feel for bevel setting and testing,

Some “problem” honing strategies,

Try finishing stones I don’t have (reasons to feed the HAD),

Experts’ id and evaluation of a roadside stone,

Techniques for problem shave areas,

Whiffs and sniffs of soaps, aftershaves and other products (reasons to feed the other AD’s),

Lots of pics and a door prize would be fun too.

I.thought it might be interesting to ask what members are looking to get out of the upcoming Kansas City Meet, in addition to meeting other members and camaraderie, of course.

I’ll start; I’d like to come away from the event with:

A solid feel for bevel setting and testing,

Some “problem” honing strategies,

Try finishing stones I don’t have (reasons to feed the HAD),

Experts’ id and evaluation of a roadside stone,

Techniques for problem shave areas,

Whiffs and sniffs of soaps, aftershaves and other products (reasons to feed the other AD’s),

Lots of pics and a door prize would be fun too.

I mainly want experience with different stones of all types.

I learn a lot just seeing others honing techniques and practices as well as their different strategies of dealing with the problem blades.

I also have a Colorado natural I want input on. I hope to get another example of the same strata, as I've found the one I have has some problem particles. I'm not sure I'll have time to do that though.

I enjoy seeing all the different razors that people bring, especially customs or razors from custom makers.

im looking to get a better idea of how to use my straights, and possibly how to hone them. i haven't decided if i want to take that on myself, or leave that to the pros.

im looking to get a better idea of how to use my straights, and possibly how to hone them. i haven't decided if i want to take that on myself, or leave that to the pros.
You will almost surely want to take it on yourself after the meet IMO.

Its quite seductive. You will see people, with similar skill levels and knowledge to yourself, having successes and breakthroughs.

If you decide at the meet or after, that honing is not for you that's OK too, and is a valuable experience because you will know that you didn't just dismiss it without getting up close to make your decision.

Well, first of all, I want to rekindle my interest in actually using my straights, which won’t be hard. I have a bunch of straights, but hardly use them anymore because I don’t hone and don’t want to get them down to the point that they need to be sent out. I primarily use shavettes anymore if I want a straight type shave.

I want to observe and learn what this honing stuff is all about. I will be bringing a bunch of my straights (shave ready and not) for evaluation, and I want someone to help me get some of them honed up. If someone can teach me I’d like to learn how to do them myself with a few different types of stones, to learn which system I like. (Tall order probably, not sure how much individual attention I can get).

I also have a couple of barber hones, and another piece of a stone (coti?) that I want someone to tell me what they are and what I can use them for & how to use them. I haven’t attempted to do any touch ups with the barber hones, because I don’t’ want to screw anything up.

I’m also hoping someone there will have some lapping paper set up and can explain that process.

I definitely want to check out and sample (sniff) some of the products that have been donated by the vendors. Stuff looks AMAZING.

After that, just good company and good food!

Top Bottom