What's new

5 gins any serious gin drinker ought to be drinking?

I have only tried Broker's and Plymouth on that list. I'd have to say Plymouth is the smoothest and best gin I've tried and believe me, I've practically run the gamut on those. Another good one is Happy Gin; the same company makes vodka, rum and tequila. All come in a roundish bottle with a happy face on them. The vodka is OK, nothing to write home about. I was paying close to $20/fifth for the gin until it became no longer available here.

A couple of members mentioned Tanqueray and I forgot to mention their Malacca. It's expensive but not as much as the Monkey 47 per ounce. Someone else mentioned Tanqueray 10 and I also forgot to mention that. It's pretty darn good but I still prefer Plymouth to anything else I've tried.

Haven't had a gin and tonic in quite awhile. Good post, and will check a few of these out, four of five were new to me. Thanks,

The wife went out for a bottle of gin after emptying the Tanqueray bottle making a Grapefruit Collins last evening. She returned with a bottle of Plymouth Gin, and I'm glad to see the positive reviews here.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
Quite honestly, I hope never to be considered a "serious drinker."
The only gins I've tried are Sapphire and Beefeater.

My personal top 5 are:

1. Nolet's Silver Dry Gin - Very expensive at ~ $45 but makes for a sublime gin & tonic
2. No. 3 London Dry Gin from Berry Bros. & Rudd - Try it for a fantastic dry martini
3. Bluecoat American Dry Gin - More forward citrus and slightly restrained Juniper. Equally good in a dry martini and gin & tonic.
4. Hendricks Gin - Love it in a gin and tonic, but a little too delicate to stand up to the vermouth in a martini.
5. Cadenhead's Old Raj Gin - A traditional gin recipe with saffron added after distillation. Bottled at 55% ABV.

--Jerome

I haven't tried any of those mentioned in the article.

Tanqueray have just come out with an Old Tom that I'm looking forward to trying. Otherwise, I like their No. 10 and Rangpur lime. Also enjoy Hendrick's.

Back when eBay allowed alcohol sales, I picked up a bunch of miniatures so that I could sample various ones without breaking the bank. I wish there were an easy way to get a variety of minis.
The ABC store in Gastonia has the Minis out from behind the counter, so you can "browse" without holding up the line. All of the others I've been to keep them behind the counter. I have a few gins in my mini collection, but will have to add to that section. currently I'm at around 100 in my collection. I try to replace the ones that have been "taste tested".
Tanqueray Rangpur Lime is my go for Gin and Tonics.

sampled the

Prairie Organic Gin

loved the price point- curious about the taste- very smooth, VERY smooth, no crippling bite, I'm a first-timer to Prairie- looking forward to challenging it...probably not very stimulating for the old timers- but I would recommend it to folks just getting into the gin thing...

sampled the

Prairie Organic Gin

loved the price point- curious about the taste- very smooth, VERY smooth, no crippling bite, I'm a first-timer to Prairie- looking forward to challenging it...probably not very stimulating for the old timers- but I would recommend it to folks just getting into the gin thing...

Agreed. I tried Prairie gin and it was very nice and smooth.

Has anybody tried Gin Mare?
It's a Mediterranean gin, rather than the London gins we're used to, and you can definitely taste the flavours in it - olives and herbs take the bite of the juniper, and it's really quite a different experience.

Mixed with a good quality tonic like Fever Tree Indian Tonic Water, this is one hell of an easy drink, but one to savour.
Seeing the oiliness of the gin swirl around your ice cubes is an interesting sight, and certainly one to relish.

In my cabinet at the moment I've got Tanqueray standard and no 10, Bombay Amber, Hendricks (always), Martin Miller and Gin Mare, and find myself reaching for the very different Gin Mare about half the time I grab a glass.

Top Bottom