What's new

5 gins any serious gin drinker ought to be drinking?

Great stuff! I discovered it at the distillery. Even here it's a special order at many stores.
I cant believe nobody has mentioned Botanivore Gin by St. Georges. It is one of my favorite (if not my absolute favorite) and anyone who enjoys gin needs to give it a try. St. Georges makes a few different gins, however Botanivore is the one that everyone needs to try. I was under the impression that you could find it anywhere, but perhaps its a west coast specialty?

I have always liked plain old Tanqueray. I prefer its edgier profile. Recently I tried a bottle of Bombay Saphire and i am not a fan, too soft.

I am am interested in knowing the qualities of #10 and Rangpur as compared to plain old Tanqueray. I appreciate y'all's input.

ETA - my primary use for gin is in gin & tonics.

Last edited:
I have always liked plain old Tanqueray. I prefer its edgier profile. Recently I tried a bottle of Bombay Saphire and i am not a fan, too soft.

I am am interested in knowing the qualities of #10 and Rangpur as compared to plain old Tanqueray. I appreciate y'all's input.

ETA - my primary use for gin is in gin & tonics.

Rangpur has a very "lime-y" quality to it, my wife likes it and does good in G/T's, I dont appreciate it as much. I think the qualities of Tanq 10 would get lost in a Tonic Highball, works better where it is the star. If you can find one of the last remaining Malacca's or the new Old Tom, you may experience something different; Regular Tanqueray is IMHO a great standard mixer. Would not hesitate to use in a G & T. Again, the complexities of the others may get lost on you where the Tonic is the true star.

May I suggest Fever Tree Tonics? or "Q" tonic?

Rangpur has a very "lime-y" quality to it, my wife likes it and does good in G/T's, I dont appreciate it as much. I think the qualities of Tanq 10 would get lost in a Tonic Highball, works better where it is the star. If you can find one of the last remaining Malacca's or the new Old Tom, you may experience something different; Regular Tanqueray is IMHO a great standard mixer. Would not hesitate to use in a G & T. Again, the complexities of the others may get lost on you where the Tonic is the true star.

May I suggest Fever Tree Tonics? or "Q" tonic?

Thanks.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've always enjoyed gin, although I've not been anywhere nearly as adventurous as many of you have. Hendricks and Plymouth are my favorites, but Beefeater always holds a place in my heart and liquor cabinet. I do like Tanqueray, but I've never been much on its variants. I'll need to look into the others mentioned here. Thanks for all the tips!

TL

Plymouth is not to be missed. It's very versatile, works perfect for almost any cocktail.

If you can find it, Bluecoat is very good, especially for the price point. It's made in Philadelphia, so I find it easily here in NJ, but I didn't see it as often before I moved.

Rogue has been getting into distilling lately, and they have a gin that I just bought for the first time. If you're familiar with their beer, the same ethos (i.e. in your face, very aggressive and heavy handed with the tasting notes!) carries over. I really enjoyed it - it is strong on juniper and spruce, just how I like gin.

For something slightly less junipery and more floral, Magellan is an interesting bottle. I think a lot of people don't take it seriously because it is blue (natural not artificially colored), but it's actually a pleasant gin on the more floral side. I wouldn't call it perfect for everything (not really the best bet for a martini or negroni), but it can work well in citrusy or sweeter cocktails.

Last, I'd recommend trying some of the other styles of gin like genever/Holland Gin or Old Tom Gin. These have totally different flavor profiles. Bols Genever is an easy introduction to the the toasty/bready taste of genever. If you like that, you can really jump off into some more expense genevers.

The fact that you listed Monkey 47, made just up the road from where I live, gives you all sorts of cred in my book.

That you didn't list Hendricks gives me pause.

I think it only fair to the members of this forum that you invest in a bottle of Hendricks, a cucumber, and a bag of ice, and begin a long, slow evening of taste-testing with some Dean Martin, Tony Bennett, and the Chairman of the Board tunes for company.

Then get back to us...in the morning. :lol:

I think it only fair to the members of this forum that you invest in a bottle of Hendricks, a cucumber, and a bag of ice, and begin a long, slow evening of taste-testing with some Dean Martin, Tony Bennett, and the Chairman of the Board tunes for company.

Then get back to us...in the morning. :lol:

I like me some Hendricks...I take it as a huge personal short-coming that I haven't had the night you describe yet.

Ungava is a gin of a different colour, as well. Listened to a radio interview with the distiller . . . apparently it is caused by one of the botanicals they use which only grows in northern Quebec/Labrador. Produces a Gin that is almost a neon yellow in hue, but with a wonderful tasting note.

This is my go-to gin. I don't mind the 'electric' yellow hue. In fact, I like it.

+1 for the Hendricks!

I went from Tanqueray to liking Bombay Sapphire to Hendricks. I beginning to feel like a gin snob but the cheaper brands now taste like lighter fluid to me :tongue_sm.

.... I beginning to feel like a gin snob but the cheaper brands now taste like lighter fluid to me :tongue_sm.

:laugh:

We have several local varieties that... well, they seem to have a way to go. Lighter fluid with a dollop of pine resin. They're not my cup of gin, anyway. And they aren't all

I really like the various London Drys. Wonderfully clean spirits with well balanced botanicals suit me better.

Hendricks, tanqueray, Bombay blue sapphire are my 3 favorites

I recently stumbled upon this gem for $13 and I guess the name recognition is what made me make the impulse buy. I have to admit, not half bad (don't mind the other impulse buy lol)

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1420301773100.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1420301773100.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 85
I am am interested in knowing the qualities of #10 and Rangpur as compared to plain old Tanqueray. I appreciate y'all's input. ETA - my primary use for gin is in gin & tonics.

Rangpur makes a great G&T but I wouldn't drink Tanqueray 10 that way. I place it in the same high caregory as Plymouth for drinking straight, as in a very dry martini sans vermouth.

:laugh:

We have several local varieties that... well, they seem to have a way to go. Lighter fluid with a dollop of pine resin. They're not my cup of gin, anyway. And they aren't all

Yep, cheap gin to me smells like Pine-Sol cut with lighter fluid

Greenhook Ginsmiths (greenhookgin.com) is an artisan distiller out of Brooklyn that makes a wonderful, complex American Dry Gin. It can be hard to find outside of their area, but it is well worth looking for. I took it to a friend's house and did a blind tasting against his fave (Tanqueray Ten) and Greylock (Berkshire Mountain Distillers), and the three of us all chose the Greenhook for both martinis and G&Ts.

Greenhook Ginsmiths (greenhookgin.com) is an artisan distiller out of Brooklyn that makes a wonderful, complex American Dry Gin. It can be hard to find outside of their area, but it is well worth looking for. I took it to a friend's house and did a blind tasting against his fave (Tanqueray Ten) and Greylock (Berkshire Mountain Distillers), and the three of us all chose the Greenhook for both martinis and G&Ts.

Its available at a shop around the corner from me; Guess I have to make a stop on the way home today!

Top Bottom