What's new

5 gins any serious gin drinker ought to be drinking?

+ another for Hendricks, especially in a G&T with cucumber slices instead of lime.

Plymouth is one of my favorites, best Negroni I ever had was with Plymouth.

Rear Admiral Joseph's is a surprisingly good and shockingly cheap gin from Trader Joe's. They also have a "higher end" store brand gin that I haven't tried yet. Can't remember the name.

Greenhook Ginsmiths (greenhookgin.com) is an artisan distiller out of Brooklyn that makes a wonderful, complex American Dry Gin. It can be hard to find outside of their area, but it is well worth looking for. I took it to a friend's house and did a blind tasting against his fave (Tanqueray Ten) and Greylock (Berkshire Mountain Distillers), and the three of us all chose the Greenhook for both martinis and G&Ts.

Grabbed some today on the way home, and made a 3:1 Martini, That is quite good, rivals one of my favorites, another American Dry...Bluecoat.

I drink gin on a daily basis either in a G&T or on the rocks. I don't like citrus gins. My preferred gins are:

Beefeater
Brokers or City of London (when I can find them)
Gordons (the best cheap gin for G&T)

Plymouth is good. I drank it when it was under $20 a fifth. I refuse to pay $35 because it's now in a fancier bottle. Bombay (regular and sapphire) and Tanqueray are good, but I don't think they're worth $8-10 a bottle more than Beefeater.

If you're ever on I-95 in New Hampshire, stop in their State Liquor Store on I-95. Brokers is $17 a fifth, Beefeaters is $27 a 1.75L and no sales tax. I always stop there to stock up on our way back from Maine.

The Botanist is by far the best gin I have ever had. It's an amazing room temperature sipper, the different botanical elements really come through.

......If you're ever on I-95 in New Hampshire, stop in their State Liquor Store on I-95. Brokers is $17 a fifth, Beefeaters is $27 a 1.75L and no sales tax. I always stop there to stock up on our way back from Maine.

This is "dock weekend" in Maine, so I always stop in New Hampshire to stock up on some wine and liquor. I picked up my bottle of Hendricks in the spring (dock in) and now that it is fall (dock out) I will do a restock.

Gin and bourbon are on the shopping list, with perhaps a small bottle of sweet vermouth for some Manhattans

I am curious. Are there very many folks that drink their gin neat or do most of you mix it? I mix mine with tonic but am interested in perhaps trying some straight up.

I am curious. Are there very many folks that drink their gin neat or do most of you mix it? I mix mine with tonic but am interested in perhaps trying some straight up.

I generally mix with tonic and a lemon slice, but sometimes when I'm sitting in front of the computer at night I have it neat. I like it chilled so I always keep a fifth in the fridge for those occasions.

I generally mix with tonic and a lemon slice, but sometimes when I'm sitting in front of the computer at night I have it neat. I like it chilled so I always keep a fifth in the fridge for those occasions.
Like Vodka. I like it. Might have to give it a try. Thanks!

Top Bottom