What's new

Elite Razor - Custom and Unique Razors and Brushes

Guys,

I just got back from a visit with Bob Quinn of Elite Razor at his facility in Georgia. Bob is a multi-dimensional intellect. To pay the bills, he is into heavy duty software -- to pay the soul, he designs and produces fabulous razor and brush handles. He also provides a full line of razors, and other basic shaving products for the convenience of one-stop shopping.

His production facility is like the workshop of a watch maker – logical, organized, and with everything in its place and a place for everything. It almost hums by itself, when you enter. His prototypes and “conceptual pieces” (both technical and graphic) are right there, to provide inspiration and thought on a consistent basis. [[I was particularly fascinated with the burl and resin combination – a fusion of artistic and functional elements from two distinct, but now conceptually relevant, Universes.]] Bob presents a scientific understanding of the product(s), together with an aggressive artistic appreciation.

His workmanship is super-superb – honestly, you will never see this in a mass-production product. In fact, you may never see it anywhere else.

I bought the partridge feather handle (one of the neatest things that I have seen in years), the ubiquitous “barber pole” handle, and the harlequin. I am really thinking, too, about the iron wood brush and handle – gorgeous.

Just show that Bob is one of the true Renaissance men of our time, we had an impromptu discussion of current world events, and on the economic and social problems that we face as a Nation -- all fair-minded, analytical and insightful. As we know, this is tough to do in today’s World.

I have to tell you that Bob Quinn is one of the rarest of the rare – and, of perhaps greatest interest to our group, an artist without peer.

Bob Ward

A few more new additions to the line-up.

These brushes and others are listed on my site at http://www.eliterazor.com

If you happen to see something in this thread that is no longer listed on my site, that is because it has been sold. Please PM me and I will be happy to build a piece for you.

Lignum Vitae 24mm brush - 96mm overall height with a 49mm loft.

I mounted this block on my lathe and just began turning with no particular idea how it would end up. Overall, I was very pleased with the result and I hope you like it also.

proxy.php

Peroba Rosa 24mm brush - 110 mm overall height with a 50mm loft.

This is a new wood for me and one with a great story. Peroba Rosa is a South American hardwood and this particular piece was reclaimed from the demolition of a house in Brazil that was built circa 1850. It was the lintel over the front door and has now been "re-purposed" into a shaving brush. The grain almost gives the appearance of flames running up the side of the brush.

proxy.php

As always, thanks for looking.

Bob

My dad ordered and received a handle and he absolutely loves it. I still can't decide how I want to do it since my Merkur 34C is my daily driver and my travel razor I don't think I want to travel with one of these gorgeous handles and risk damaging it. On the other hand I have a Muhle R41 that I haven't quite tamed yet. Then there's the whole narrowing it down to one with some many choices.

I've been kind of stuck in "brush mode" for the past several weeks and I have a couple more that were just finished today. These two are really some of the best of the best and are listed on my site at http://www.eliterazor.com

I hope to get back to building some new razor handles soon. Until then, I hope you like the brush handles.

Mokume-Gane fusion of Carbon and Silver - 24mm knot set at a 50mm loft. The brush is overall 110mm in height. - SOLD 9/9/14

proxy.php

Alternate Ivory and Damascus Steel - 24mm knot set at a 50mm loft. The brush is overall 110mm in height.

I don't do these combination brushes as often as I should and I expect to have a few more varieties in the coming weeks.

proxy.php

Bob

Last edited:
I was pleased with the way the Alternate Ivory and Damascus Steel turned out, so I built a couple of brushes with stone caps on black resin.

These brushes are listed and available on my site at http://www.eliterazor.com

Gold Laced Quartz - 110mm overall with a 50mm loft

Gold Laced Quartz may be found in mountainous areas throughout the United States, such as Dahlonega, Georgia, which was home to a significant gold rush period in American History. Dahlonega was a rough patch of ground in northern Georgia back in the early 1800's and was also home to the Cherokees. Settlers found their way there and the discovery of Gold brought in waves of panners and miners, leading to the founding of the town of Dahlonega and later the Dahlonega Mint. The town of Dahlonega prospered for a short period but was soon overshadowed by the newer discovery of Gold in California which pulled away many of its miner inhabitants. The Federal mint in Dahlonega continued to operate up until the Civil War but never reopened afterwards.

proxy.php

Imperial Jade - 114mm overall with a 50mm loft

Jade (pronounced "Yu" in Chinese - meaning "the most beautiful stone") has been considered a royal gem in China from the earliest dynasties up until present times, and is inextricably woven into ancient and modern Chinese culture. The use of Jade in China dates back some 8,000 to 12,000 years, and was an integral part of commercial, religious and ceremonial life. In ancient China, Jade was held in higher esteem than materials such as gold or silver. There is an ancient Chinese proverb that says: "Gold is estimable, but jade is priceless.”

proxy.php

Bob

Love your work!! So I was thinking how about another Snake Scale Razor Handle....but one that would fit the King Cobra???? and then maybe a matching brush?

I had the pleasure of finishing the set shown below to be presented as a gift to the Best Man at an upcoming wedding.

The handles and stand post are made of a Mokume-Gane fusion of Carbon and Copper.

proxy.php

Bob

I finally got back to building some new razor handles.

These, and others, are listed on my site at http://www.eliterazor.com

Malachite
proxy.php

Tourmaline laced Quartz
proxy.php

I've recently had a couple of requests to build some thinner handles. Below are two pieces in the Chatsworth style in Mother of Pearl and Honduran Rosewood Burl. They are shown with an Edwin Jagger head attached to give a better perspective.

proxy.php
proxy.php

I also completed a Peroba Rosa 24mm brush in the EveryReady style.

proxy.php

Bob

I have just completed the brush shown below and it is listed and available on my site at http://www.eliterazor.com.

The material is Persian Turquoise. Many think that Persian Turquoise is the best Turquoise available. It is more blue than the Turquoise generally found in America. The turquoise beads of a bracelet found on the wrist of Egyptian Queen Zer within her tomb in the early 20th century were dated back to 5500 BC. Turquoise beads were hugely popular in Egyptian jewelry making. Turquoise beaded pieces carved with Islamic and Persian proverbs have been discovered throughout the Mideast. The turquoise stone itself was sacred and revered, and is still the national gemstone of Iran today.

The brush is 110mm in overall height with a 50mm loft.

proxy.php

As always, thanks for looking,

Bob

I've been covered up with some custom orders, but have had the opportunity to build a couple of pieces to add to inventory. They are listed and availabel on my site athttp://www.eliterazor.com

Coffee Burl Razor Handle - I get this wood very rarely, and then only in small pieces, but it finishes beautifully.
proxy.php

2 children of the same Mother.

The two brushes shown below came from the same block of Desert Ironwood.
proxy.php

Bob

Life seemed to get really busy the past couple of weeks and I haven't been able to get much shop time. I was able to complete a couple of new brushes, as shown below.

These and many others are now available at http://www.eliterazor.com

24mm "Disco" brush - 50mm loft
proxy.php

24mm Copper Laced Quartz - 50mm loft
proxy.php

If there are any FSU fans out there, I am only offering this brush for B&B members. The cost is $75. It is a 24mm Silvertip set at a 50mm loft. If you are interested, please PM me.

$9935.jpg

Bob

I received mybrush and razorfrom Elite last week. First let me say Robert is the real deal. Not only did he make me an absolutely beautiful set, he ordered the knot I wanted from Shavemac, and answered my numerous stupid questions. This was my first swing in the big leagues, so I may have been a tad bit overzealous. He gave me spot on advice, and the mokume material he uses is just ridiculous . I had no idea what I needed to order brush wise, I just knew what I wanted it to do and feel like, so Bob helped me there too. I cannot say enough about the quality of the set, or his service. He even had no problem with me paying in 3 separate PayPal transactions, in order to paint the illusion to my better half that I hadn't spent the total amount on a razor. Good Vendor, Good Man

As I have noted on my website, I am currently out of stock on the components for the 3-piece razor handles. I am hopeful to be re-stocked in the next 2 weeks. I apologize for the inconvenience.

In the meantime, I have been working on filling out my brush inventory. Below are a few of the newest additions that are listed and available on my site -http://www.eliterazor.com

Alternate Ivory with a Mokume-Gane Carbon and Copper knot cup. This 24mm brush is a total of 111mm in height with a 51mm loft.
proxy.php

As Halloween is approaching, I thought a Black and Orange brush might be appropriate. This 24mm brush is 110mm in overall height with a 50mm loft.
proxy.php

I had the opportunity to build another of my "Watch" handles. This piece has watch parts "floating" in the handle of clear acrylic. The acrylic is poured in layers with parts inserted at each depth to give the appearance of floating.

This brush is shown with a 24mm knot, but has enough sidewall depth to easily accommodate a 26mm knot. The overall height is 113mm with a 49mm loft. - SOLD
proxy.php

Bob

Last edited:
I have recently completed a few new pieces which are listed and available on my site at http://www.eliterazor.com

Buckeye Burl and Blue/Green resin brush - This brush is shown with a 24mm Silvertip knot, but can be adjusted to accept up to a 28mm knot
proxy.php

Carbon Fiber 3-piece razor handle

The handle is made from a poured acrylic resin surrounding Carbon Fiber, which is a material consisting of fibers composed mostly of carbon atoms. The properties of carbon fibers, such as high tensile strength, low weight, high chemical resistance, high temperature tolerance and low thermal expansion, make them very popular in aerospace, civil engineering, military, and motorsports, along with other competition sports. The first commercial use of carbon fiber began in 1879. Thomas Edison baked cotton threads or bamboo slivers at high temperatures, carbonizing them into an all-carbon fiber filament which was used in the first incandescent light bulb to be heated by electricity.
proxy.php

Barber Pole -

This razor handle is handcrafted by Robert Quinn from separate pieces of dyed Box Elder and natural American Holly and arranged to depict the traditional Barber’s Pole. These individual pieces were laser-cut to exacting tolerances then assembled by hand in order to create this piece.The modern Barber’s Pole originated in the day when blood-letting was one of the principal duties of the barbering trade. The two spiral ribbons painted around the pole represented two long bandages, one twisted around the arm before bleeding (to make the vein stand out), and the other used to bind it afterwards. The first European poles contained only red and white stripes and some historians credit the blue stripe on the American poles as having been transported from blue and white bands on English poles of the 1700’s. Other authorities say that American barbers added the blue stripe to their red and white poles as a patriotic gesture.
proxy.php

As always, thanks for looking

Bob

I have had my Amboyna Burl E7 for about a month now. Bob does outstanding work and offers exceptional service!
24mmx50mm Grade A Silvertip

Thanks Bob!

Today's Shave

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom