What's new

Elite Razor - Custom and Unique Razors and Brushes

After building quite a few razor handles, I've gotten back into the brush world. The brushes shown below are listed on my site (www.eliterazor.com) and available for sale.

The handle shown below is Desert Ironwood with just a bit of sapwood to show contrast. I wanted to revisit one of the classic styles. The overall height is 98mm with a 50mm loft on this 24mm knot.

$9882a.jpg

This brush is made from a Gallery Grade piece of Black Ash burl. The knot is 24mm and the overall height is 110mm with a 50mm loft.

$9883.jpg

Lastly, is an Amboyna burl beehive. This 24mm brush is 101mm in total height with a 50mm loft.

$9884c.jpg

As always, thanks for looking,

Bob

I recently had the opportunity to build a new handle for a Gillette Tech whose handle had cracked. Using the original head and tail components, I turned a handle of Desert Ironwood. The resulting piece is of the same dimensions as the original razor in both length and weight. It was a pleasure to bring this old beauty back to life.

$Ted2.jpg

I also still turn the occasional pen. The pen below is a rollerball featuring a hand-cast engraved inset on the cap surrounded by a sea of brilliant Rhodium. The blend of colored insets and accent band combined with Rhodium plated components make this a distinctive pen of unrivaled beauty.

The barrel of the pen is made from Amedeo Italian acrylic resin. A beautiful deep blue color, interspersed with undulating brushstrokes of white. This is the same resin that was used by the oldest pen manufacturer in Italy for their high end pens in their Creative Genius series, honoring one of Italy’s great modern day painters Amedeo Modigliani.

$4059c.jpg

The brush shown below is a 24mm Silvertip made of Spalted Tamarind, which is native to tropical Africa, the tree grows wild throughout the Sudan and was so long ago introduced into India that it is often reported as indigenous there. The excellent wood is known for its dramatic and unpredictable figuring and black-line spalting. The colors include tan, rose and light yellow accented by the darker brown and black spalting lines. Finished products are quite dramatic. To certain Burmese, the tree represents the dwelling-place of the rain god and some hold the belief that the tree raises the temperature in its immediate vicinity. Hindus may marry a Tamarind tree to a Mango tree before eating the fruits of the latter. In Nyasaland, Tamarind bark soaked with corn is given to domestic fowl in the belief that, if they stray or are stolen, it will cause them to return home. In Malaysia, a little Tamarind and coconut milk is placed in the mouth of an infant at birth, and the bark and fruit are given to elephants to make them wise.

$9885.jpg

Bob

The same Stainless Steel components I use to build my custom 3-piece handles are now available as kits. Each kits contains the head piece (threaded 0.8mm-5), the ball tail piece and your choice of a long or short tube. Bushings are also available to insure your finished piece is a perfect fit.

These items are listed on my site in the Handles and Razors section.

$Handle-Kit.jpg$bushings.jpg

I also had some shop time to finish up a couple brushes and a handle.

24mm Bloody Basin Jasper brush - 110mm overall / 50mm loft

The handle is made from Bloody Basin Jasper, which is associated with the Zodiac sign of Taurus. Red Jasper was a much sought after gem in the very ancient times and today it is used for aesthetic as well as industrial purposes. It belongs to the family of quartz. The name is Greek in origin, meaning “spotted or speckled stone”. The color of Jasper ranges from red to shades of brown due to the presence of ferric oxide. But with the combination of other minerals it gets a colorful, banded appearance. In mythology, Jasper is said to have powers to keep evil and fatal insect or reptile bites at bay. This particularly handsome Bloody Basin Jasper stone is named for the mine in which it is found. It is native to Arizona and is prized for its' deep crimson tone with jet black veins.

$9886.jpg

24mm Tourmaline Laced Quartz brush - 110mm overall / 50mm loft

Tourmaline Laced Quartz may be found in mountainous areas throughout the United States, but predominately in the northern Sierra Nevada area. Quartz is the second most abundant mineral in the Earth's crust, after Feldspar. Quartz can appear in many colors from bright purple to milky white to absolutely clear. Roman naturalist Pliny the Elder, believed Quartz to be water ice, permanently frozen after great lengths of time. (The word "crystal" comes from the Greek word for purity.) He supported this idea by saying that Quartz is found near glaciers in the Alps, but not on volcanic mountains.

$9887.jpg

Azurite Razor Handle

Azurite is an intense deep blue color and often occurs with Malachite. Different sources claim the name is derived from the Persian word lazhward or from the Arabic word azul, both of which mean blue. Azurite is found in Australia, Chile, France, Mexico, Morocco, Nambia, the southwestern USA, and Zaire. For thousands of years this stone has been used in jewelry and ornamental objects. During the Middle Ages and Renaissance it was ground into pigment for use in paint and eye shadow. It is not known widely as a birthstone, but several references indicate it may have been used as a birthstone for the sign of Taurus. Azurite was sacred to the Egyptians who believed it was an aid to spiritual communication. Many believe that this stone helps to reduce anger and to increase psychic awareness. It is also thought to reduce abnormal cell growth, promote wisdom, and is used as an aid to relieve the pain of rheumatism

$1781b.jpg

As always, thanks for looking, Bob

A couple of new pieces completed over the weekend:

This handle is made from Copper Laced Quartz, which may be found in mountainous areas throughout the United States. Quartz is the second most abundant mineral in the Earth’s crust, after Feldspar. Quartz can appear in many colors from bright purple to milky white to absolutely clear and may be combined with several minerals including Copper, Gold and Tourmaline. Roman naturalist Pliny the Elder, believed Quartz to be water ice, permanently frozen after great lengths of time. (The word “crystal” comes from the Greek word for purity.) He supported this idea by saying that Quartz is found near glaciers in the Alps, but not on volcanic mountains.
This razor handle is 3.875 inches long and weighs 1.8 ounces.
$1785b.jpg

This handle is made from Gold Laced Quartz, which may be found in mountainous areas throughout the United States, such as Dahlonega, Georgia, which was home to a significant gold rush period in American History. Dahlonega was a rough patch of ground in northern Georgia back in the early 1800′s and was also home to the Cherokees. Settlers found their way there and the discovery of Gold brought in waves of panners and miners, leading to the founding of the town of Dahlonega and later the Dahlonega Mint. The town of Dahlonega prospered for a short period but was soon overshadowed by the newer discovery of Gold in California which pulled away many of its miner inhabitants. The Federal mint in Dahlonega continued to operate up until the Civil War but never reopened afterwards.
This razor handle is 3.875 inches long and weighs 1.8 ounces.
$1787b.jpg

The handle is made from a poured acrylic resin surrounding the feathers of a Lady Amherst’s Pheasant. The Lady Amherst’s pheasant is named after Lady Sarah Amherst, husband of William Pitt Amherst (Governor-General of India from 1823 to 1828), who first introduced the species to Britain in the early 1800s. Pheasants are part of the Galliformes family, made up of domestic, ground-feeding birds that do not typically fly. These birds use their bright colors and visually stunning feathers for courtship, communication, running, and fighting rather than for flying (like most birds).

This unique handle was cast by John Underhill, an award winning feather artist and resin caster. Each feather is painstakingly placed prior to casting in crystal clear acrylic resin. This is truly a “one of a kind” piece as, just like snowflakes, each feather has a different pattern, color shade and character.

This razor handle is 3.875 inches long and weighs 1.6 ounces.

Please note that all the feathers in this handle were acquired from domestic, pen-raised birds and are 100% legal. All the required tags and permits have been obtained.
$1790b.jpg

This 22mm Badger brush features a handcrafted handle by Robert Quinn from Sassafras, which is native to North America and can grow to 60 feet in height. Oil distilled from the root-bark or the fruit is used to make tea and as a fragrance in perfumes and soaps. The shoots are used to make root beer, which owes its characteristic odor to the sassafras extract. The leaves are dried and ground and known as filé powder, a spice used in dishes such as Cajun filé gumbo. Sir Walter Raleigh took sassafras back to England from Virginia. In what were called the Great Sassafras Hunts from 1602-1603, ships were sent from England to collect the roots. Sassafras roots then were converted into a tonic that smelled like root beer and supposedly kept its drinkers youthful and healthy.
Brush Dimensions:
Handle – 60mm
Brush Loft – 50mm
Overall – 110mm
$9888.jpg

These are just a few of the stone and feather handles I have recently added to my inventory. They can all be found at www.eliterazor.com

Bob

I was lucky enough to meet the man, Bob Quinn, during a trip to the Atlanta area this weekend for a music jam a friend of mine throws every year, and this beauty left with me.

$photo 2.jpg
$photo 1.jpg
$photo 3.jpg

I also got to see the other quartz handles he posted above, and let me tell you gents, they are even more gorgeous in person!

I recently received a shipment of various acrylic and resin rods from Europe and have just completed the brush shown below. I am reminded of a visit I made to the Painted Desert in Arizona almost 50 years ago and how I was struck by the way all the seemingly contrasting colors all worked together.

The Brush is 110mm in height with a 50mm loft and is shown with a 24mm Silvertip knot. The handle can be adjusted to accommodate a 26mm knot also. ​This piece has been sold.

$9889a.jpg

I have a few different color combinations that I will be working with that I believe will be just as striking. Stay tuned....

Thanks, Bob

Last edited:
I love the length and heft of it. I had to "dig in" a bit with the ball end handle to get as close a shave as I wanted, and it was easy to go overboard and end up with irritation. Not with this handle though! It is the perfect weight to just let glide over my skin. I love it more each time I use it.

As promised, below are a couple of new pieces. The Black/Gold and Silver combination kind of works. Depending on how your turn the brush, the presentation changes significantly. The pictures below are of the same brush. The depth of Silver and Gold in this piece is just amazing and unfortunately, the pictures just don't do it justice.

The multi-color brush truly looks like candy, so I guess it's appropriate to say it is "Sweeeeet!"

Both brushes are 110mm in height with a 50mm loft and is shown with a 24mm Silvertip knot. The handle can be adjusted to accommodate a 26mm knot also.

Wow, both brushes were spoken for in the past 3 hours. Thank you.

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

I still have a few more coming. so stay tuned....

Thanks, Bob

Last edited:
The brush shown below just came out of the shop. It is made of an imported acrylic resin known as "Disco". I also expect to have this same material in my shop in the next few weeks in the size necessary to build matching razor handles.

$9893a.jpg

I've also completed a few new handles. These are all in the longer length, comparable to a Merkur 38C.

Burnt Copper
$1805b.jpg

Arctic Fern
$1806b.jpg

Alternate Horn
$1807b.jpg

Bob

I have received the parts for the Barber's Pole handles and have begun work on them this weekend. I expect the finishing process to be completed and cured in about a week to 10 days.

The handle is made from separate pieces of dyed Box Elder and natural American Holly and arranged to depict the traditional Barber’s Pole. These individual pieces were laser-cut to exacting tolerances then assembled by hand in order to create this piece. The modern Barber’s Pole originated in the day when blood-letting was one of the principal duties of the barbering trade. The two spiral ribbons painted around the pole represented two long bandages, one twisted around the arm before bleeding (to make the vein stand out), and the other used to bind it afterwards. The first European poles contained only red and white stripes and some historians credit the blue stripe on the American poles as having been transported from blue and white bands on English poles of the 1700’s. Other authorities say that American barbers added the blue stripe to their red and white poles as a patriotic gesture.

proxy.php

The 3-piece handle will be $60. It is available with an Edwin Jagger, Muhle R41 or R89 head. The handle is also designed so that it may be set up as a Merkur 38 or 39 HD razor.

The brush shown below was built for a gentleman who had retired from the Marines and wanted to commemorate his time in the Corps. The goal was to replicate the Marine Corps colors as closely as possible and embed a medal in the base in clear acrylic.

I was honored to be given the opportunity to build this brush and am very pleased and proud of the results.

proxy.php

As always, thanks for looking.

Bob

Sometimes you get surprised when turning a piece and you see what's inside that was not visible initially. I was turning the handle below from a piece of material that looked just like every other one I had turned. As the layers fell away, I began to see a shift in the pattern that had a M. C. Escher-like quality to it. It is most visible in the picture, although the handle is completely smooth. It's a pretty cool visual effect.

This brush is listed and available on my site.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Thanks for looking, Bob

Top Bottom