What's new

I Love Wyoming But It's The Black Hole of Shaving.Maybe

Okay, before anyone from Wyoming gets a bit heated over the title of this thread, let me explain. I love Wyoming. It is one of the few states I would consider moving to. Mostly because of the dry mountain air and the great weather. Yeah, you heard that right you heat worshiping Floridians! I love the mountain west. But something needs to be done...ahem, about the shaving situation.

We just spent the last week or so on holiday at Grand Teton and Yellowstone parks and surrounding areas. God's country comes immediately to mind. And I can say with all earnestness that comment is not meant in the slightest way to be sacrilegious. I hadn't visited there in about twenty-five years or so and it was high time to go back. In my haste to pack for our trip I forgot to include a shave soap. Oh no! We stopped over in Cheyenne for one evening and I immediately realised when we got to the hotel for the evening I had no lather for the morning shave. I frantically started searching the internet for anything shave related in Cheyenne. And came away with nothing. We were on the edge of town at the junction of I-80 and I-25 and it was late so exploring around for something was out. So I shaved with a cake of QED shampoo soap! Certainly not the best option but it saved the morning shave from complete disaster.

Okay, I thought I would find something at Jackson when when we got there the next day. Wrong. I first looked up barbershops in Jackson and came away with what I thought was a possible lead at a local shop. No dice. They closed at 2:00PM and we missed it by a couple hours since we had already headed to our lodgings to get settled in for a few days. It was the Memorial Day weekend after all. So I tried Kmart. Not so much as a cake of Williams. Thankfully a local drugstore was open on Memorial Day and I grabbed the one and only cake of Williams they had. What gives? This is a resort town with a lot of overpriced shops and other quirky stuff. I was sure I would run into something usable. Williams is still not my thing by a LONG shot but it saved they day, after a fashion.

I will say that on the last day we were there we wondered into Pearl Street, a local shop. They have Musgo Classic aftershave and balm! They also have a small assortment of Claus Porto bathing soaps on a roap. I grabbed a cake of the Oak Moss soap. So it was not total defeat. I do however have an idea about a possible retirement business in cowboy country:001_smile. So you Wyomingites work on this issue in the meantime. BTW, Bridger and Shoshone National Forests are two of the most ruggedly beautiful places you will ever visit.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:
You plan a trip and forget to take your shaving supplies? :blink: Would you forget your underwear? You get stuck in Wyoming without your underwear you had better be prepared to make some out of roadkill. For that matter, aren't you aware that certain fats and oils from roadkill also make good face prep?

If you live in Wyoming the internet is your friend. When you visit Wyoming you come prepared, or roadkill is your friend.:001_smile

I only missed the shave lather but other than a razor it's about the most important thing. Usually I have a debate with myself for a few days about which lather and other toiletries to take along. So yeah, the Boy Scout principal certainly applies here. I was just a bit surprised that some little out of the way shop in Jackson didn't have at least one or two options. And I still love Wyoming. I came back to Cowtown(Kansas City, really a suburb of K.C.) and immediately realised why I detest summers here. Amazon and USPS are definitely your friends in these western states. And btw, if the roadkill is elk or mule deer I'm all in. Mmm, elk steaks.

Cheers, Todd

Same situation in my part of Tennessee. The only thing you will find local is van der hagen at walmart and williams at cvs. That is it nothing else.

Art of Shaving shows no locations in Wyoming.

During my google search I did find a great rattlesnake whip place in Cody.

Tony, that was my first thought. Usually there is an AoS retailer somewhere within driving distance and one of their travel sizes would have been perfect. I won't be forgetting the soap next time.

Cheers, Todd

You have to keep in mind that there are more antelope in Wy than people. There used to be a sign on the outskirts of Cheyenne that said "Welcome to Wy, turn your clocks back 30 yrs". They were forced to remove it for fear that visitors would feel they were not aware of current events. I have driven through Co sweating in my truck only to delve into a 9 hr prayer for my life due to ice and snow on I-80 from Cheyenne to Ut. I was stationed at F.E. Warren for 3 yrs and most of that time was spent trying to find ways to get orders out of there. It takes a certain midset to learn to enjoy any of the benefits of living there. I have done some business with a few guys there and in Green River and the only way they can get any shave related goodies is through the good ole interweb and the BST.

There are a few Walgreen's and CVS pharmacies in Cheyenne that sell Cremo Cream, Van der Hagen, and SheaButter Black Soap Shave Cream that should bail you out in a pinch.

In an ironic twist... I actually bought several razors from a seller in Gillette Wyoming. I suspect you might have an easier time finding straight razors than DEs. I have nothing to support that basis other than my own picking experiences in smaller cities/states.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Same situation in my part of Tennessee. The only thing you will find local is van der hagen at walmart and williams at cvs. That is it nothing else.
Where bouts in TN if I may? Some Ulta's carry AOS, Jack Black, and other high end men's lines. And you can order AOS from any Sephora (JCPenney) with free shipping. There is also an AOS in Franklin, Nashville and coming soon to Knoxville.

I haven't found anything else. I'm in the Nashville area

"Welcome to Wy, turn your clocks back 30 yrs".
Maybe true. As I stated in my introduction I've never even used a modern cartridge and didn't even know that so few people were still using DEs and Schick Injector razors like I used all my life, until I saw that ad on TV which made me wonder what was going on in the rest of the world. So maybe I really am 30 years behind. The only modern thing I use is the canned stuff which seems to make me even that much more of a misfit, but at least I can find it without going out of state, but I've been using it for over 30 years too.

Wyoming:
$Civilization.jpg

In fact: it's really all the civilization I want! :001_smile

You think Wyoming is bucolic? A few years ago Dairy Queen opened a restaurant in Anchorage. For weeks before the grand opening both the newspaper and th TV channels were abuzz about it. People waxed nostalgic telling their excited children how when they were young they'd load up the car with a bunch of people and spend a couple of hours driving over to Soldotna where they HAD a Dairy Queen! !

The night it opened it was the lead story on all the local and Statewide TV newscasts as well as being on all the newspapers front page in a BIG font.

And it was on every radio and TV news program for well over a week.

Wyoming is like London or Tokyo compared to Los Anchorage.

Last edited:
Wyoming is like London or Tokyo compared to Los Anchorage.
Isn't the population of Anchorage around 100,000? There is no city in Wyoming near that. I don't even know where a Dairy Queen is. However I can get to a McDonald's in an hour and a half or so at highway speeds. Walmart is also that far away.

(Wyoming is a state, not a city.)

Where bouts in TN if I may? Some Ulta's carry AOS, Jack Black, and other high end men's lines. And you can order AOS from any Sephora (JCPenney) with free shipping. There is also an AOS in Franklin, Nashville and coming soon to Knoxville.

I haven't found anything else. I'm in the Nashville area
Nashville is high on my list of possible relocation sites when I flee Alaska and the onset of Winter in a couple 9 months. Great music, women, food, medical facilities, and a significantly lower cost of living. Does it snow there? Are there Fireflies in the Summer?

U
Isn't the population of Anchorage around 100,000? There is no city in Wyoming near that. I don't even know where a Dairy Queen is. However I can get to a McDonald's in an hour and a half or so at highway speeds. Walmart is also that far away.

(Wyoming is a state, not a city.)

Currently this GIGANTIC STATE has a population of just over 700,000 souls. Just under fifty percent of the entire GIGANTIC STATE population live in the Anchorage Bowl.

Apropos of nothing in particular, you cannot drive to Alaska's stunningly beautiful Capital City, Juneau.

There is no road to it. You either fly in or sail in regardless if you are the elected Governmental Officials preparing for the session of the States Legislature, or a fisherman coming home to reacquaint his wife to marital bliss.

Last edited:
I can tell you where to get competition level chili. Town called Chugwater. The product is called Chugwater Chili. A few miles north of Cheyenne. Their building looks like a temp const trailor. I think all the roads were gravel or sand. Best dang chili mix I have ever found.

U

Currently this GIGANTIC STATE has a population of just over 700,000 souls. Just under fifty percent of the entire GIGANTIC STATE population live in the Anchorage Bowl.

Apropos of nothing in particular, you cannot drive to Alaska's stunningly beautiful Capital City, Juneau.

There is no road to it. You either fly in or sail in regardless if you are the elected Governmental Officials preparing for the session of the States Legislature, or a fisherman coming home to reacquaint his wife to marital bliss.
OK, so you live in a very densely populated area of a very sparsely populated GIGANTIC STATE. Gotcha.:001_smile

Top Bottom