What's new

What is the one razor you haven't used in a long time.

Why? What's been sitting there getting neglected?
In my modest collection of twelve or so razors it has to be the Anodized gold aluminum anniversary rocket.(That's a mouth full) Ever since finding the Barbasol razor I've been trying out the perfect followup compwanion to it. You see the "problem" and it's a stinker is the Barbasol gives such a close shave some 24 hrs later I barely have anything worth shaving. So having cycled through my various razors I hit on a perfect combo. The rocket weighs in at about nothing and provided a super smooth shave as it just glided across the skin just enough to get the fuzz off my face. This razor really is meant for light whiskered or 16 year old with peach fuzz. Anyway, it's been a good three months since pulling this one out and it felt good. :thumbup1:

So tomorrow make a commitment to take out the one you haven't used in awhile. Tell us your honest opinion of it.
Pics! Please:)

Attachments

• $IMG_20140515_201016_893.jpg
    $IMG_20140515_201016_893.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 170
I have a Travalong that I rarely use. It is spectacular from a product design perspective (which is why I bought it) and actually gives a pretty great shave. However, its compact, collapsible design also means the "handle" is awkward to use, always taking a couple of careful strokes to get reacquainted with the proper angles.

I will try to remember to use it in the morning and come back and add a pic, post-shave.

Update:

As promised, I used the Travalong this morning. I immediately remembered why I don't use it that often: In addition to the awkward handle, the shave is actually fairly aggressive. While the razor did give a nice, close shave, there was a noticeable increase in burn when I applied some post-shave superhazel compared to the more predominant minty cooling effect that I sense when I use my low set Mergress or Tech. I suppose I should retract my initial "great shave" comment and replace it with "acceptable shave" - though, I'm sure if I used the razor every day, the results would improve significantly.

So, while I still enjoy the Travalong from a design perspective, I plan to keep it with my backpacking gear.

Pics:
$IMG_0579.jpg
$IMG_0580.jpg
$IMG_0581.jpg

Last edited:
I did not use my Gillette Rocket for a long time, because it was too agressive for me, and because I like lighter long handled razors.

I gave it away, and do not regret that. I also sold my flare tip Superspeed, because I did not like it. My two remaining DE razors get very regular use.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Own and use:

Gillette 7 O'Clock Stirling
Gillette Knack
GEM Push Button
Dovo Bismarck
Sanguine R5
Vintage Gillette Trac II

Own and haven't used in a long time:

1940's Style Superspeed
Black Handle Flair Tip Superspeed
Pre War Fat Handle Tech
Merkur 33C
GEM Clog-Pruf MM
GEM Open Comb MM
Vintage Boker 5/8
Vintage Solingen 5/8

Last edited:
I feel really bad about this one.

I have two British Techs in near mint condition. One thin handle and one fat handle. I have even ordered a fancy aftermarket handle for them so I would be able to get them to the rotation.

Then I have this one for travel duty:

$British NEW 4.jpg

$British NEW.jpg

As you can see it's a British NEW. No LC or SC, just NEW. The Brits only made one version - it's that humble.

Since it's also a distinct user grade razor (as it should be for travel duty) it doesn't get or demand much attention to itself. But it comes from a proud line of razors and should not be frown upon by it's fancier successors, my mint Techs.

$British NEW 2.jpg

As you can see she has the flat and thick bottom plate and the hollow ball handle. This results in a balance that is very much different from that of the US cousins. She's markedly head heavy and distinct.

$British NEW 3.jpg

I promise to take my humble British darling for a spin tomorrow. I even consider replating her just to show the Techs who's the Queen in the den, but Dave at Restoredrazors is on a hiatus and it would make her too nice for travel duty.

Tomorrow, my dear darling!

Last edited:
Gillette travel tech. I think I have only used it once after I bought it and got it all cleaned up and shiny. I just dont like the small handle. Maybe I will give it another chance though......Great thread idea!

I have 5 Gems (1912, Jr. Bar, MMOC, Featherweigt, Bullet Tip) that are gathering dust. I need to explore some other blades, but I just default to my Gillettes for ease of shaving.

Like others have said, my Fatboy and Slim are on the far margin of use..... I seem to enjoy my shaves from my Gillette New Bostonian, New LC, Prewar Tech, Red Tip, & 40's Super Speed(in order of most use). The Fatboy, Slim, Gem's, blue tip, Old Type, Single Ring, and numerous straights rarely get any play...

I have a birth year/quarter (T2) black handle SS that I rarely use. It's too light for me - I prefer a heavier razor - and too mild. I've been debating whether I want to keep it for a travel razor or PIF it.

Top Bottom