What's new

Found a pocket knife!

strop

Now half as wise
I was doing some organizing and cleaning in the garage last weekend. The previou owner had put up lots of pegboard, and I was on a step ladder to place some hoops high up on th wall. He had put up 1X4 strapping to space it from the wall. On the little shelf formed at the top, I found a pocket knife.

Keen Kutter Kattle Knife. Appears to have ivory scales. I'm guessing it dates from the 50's or early 60's. Gonna take a little clean up. Any tips,suggestions, things to avoid, etc.?

$uploadfromtaptalk1400107175764.jpg

Can you have knives? :001_huh: Even these little ones? Wouldn't want you to run afoul of the fuzz! (See, I read the Team Forum!:lol:)
The law is very strict in regards to knives over here.
The knife has to be a folding, non-locking knife, with a blade of 3in or less. It also cannot be on the banned list.
https://www.gov.uk/find-out-if-i-can-buy-or-carry-a-knife

I carry a pocket knife pretty much always, however I once had it out at the gym while I was repacking my bag. One gym member asked me what I need that for, and if I want to stab someone. One of the gym staff tried to tell me it is illegal what I am doing.
Ultimately I quoted the law to them word by word, and told them I carry it because it is my right to do so. That was the end of it.

still a nice knife, clean it up and you can sit on the porch whittle a piece of wood and tell every one about the day you found that knife, then about your shave that morning.

Hmmm, a "Kattle Knife". Big blade for cutting bailing twine and a little one for making steers. Nice find. You can probably knock any rust off with a bit of kerosene and some very fine, 0000, steel wool lightly applied. A drop or two of 3-in-1 oil on the spring ends with the blade opened and closed until the oil works in and then a wipe down wouldn't hurt either. Sweep out the insides with a q-tip and some light solvent or kero. Then spend some time with a good stone and she'll be right as rain.

Don't take the patina off the blade. Thy would kill any value it might have to a collector and heck, it's earned that look!

I can't imagine anyone in the Southern states asking another man "Why do you need a knife!?" But I've heard more than one British person ask just that around here.

I can't imagine anyone in the Southern states asking another man "Why do you need a knife!?" But I've heard more than one British person ask just that around here.

No, we're way more likely to ask you, "Well, where's your knife? Why do you need mine?" That's if we're polite. The guys who are a little rough around the edges would say, "This is *MY* knife. Get your own!"

When I was about 7 or 8 - probably second grade - my dad made it clear that I should always have a knife, a comb, and a wallet in my pockets. Now, I admit my brother and I did not bury dad with those items. But that's not because it didn't occur to us. (But we did bury him with a cue stick and a pack of Rider Back cards.)

When I got home from work this afternoon I put my knife, my pocket comb, and my wallet in the tray by the door. And if I go anywhere - besides maybe the dumpsters or the mailbox - I'll take them with me. I dare say there's at least 500 others guys living within five miles of me who do something very, very similar.

To the OP, great find. Carry it with pride!

Last edited:
No, we're way more likely to ask you, "Well, where's your knife? Why do you need mine?" That's if we're polite. The guys who are a little rough around the edges would say, "This is *MY* knife. Get your own!"

When I was about 7 or 8 - probably second grade - my dad made it clear that I should always have a knife, a comb, and a wallet in my pockets. Now, I admit my brother and I did not bury dad with those items. But that's not because it didn't occur to us. (But we did bury him with a cue stick and a pack of Rider Back cards.)

When I got home from work this afternoon I put my knife, my pocket comb, and my wallet in the tray by the door. And if I go anywhere - besides maybe the dumpsters or the mailbox - I'll take them with me. I dare say there's at least 500 others guys living within five miles of me who do something very, very similar.

To the OP, great find. Carry it with pride!

If I'm carrying certain favorite knives there's no chance anyone will get to borrow them. My 10 year old son asked me to pass him my knife when we were last camping and I had scold him for leaving his at home. Two of my knives have my name engraved on them and I already told the kids they can use them when I die and not a day sooner.

My 10 year old son asked me to pass him my knife when we were last camping and I had scold him for leaving his at home.

After the last post I started thinking about the day and time we live in compared to when I was a kid.

At the schools we now have "zero tolerance" policies, and I swear I believe if you think about a knife you'll get thrown out. But in grades 1-12, no K, we probably had 300 students, and probably a hundred boys with pocket knives.

I don't remember a single stabbing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom