What's new

How and with what do you wipe your razor during shaving?

Rinse under hot water, edge down, toe down. If needed wipe with a single piece of toilet paper pinched between two fingers. 2 years at this and still haven't cut myself.

I just use a dry, small white dish/barbers towel (I have 6 of them). When I am done, I turn the dirty side in, pitch it in the hamper, and they get washed with the whites (using some bleach).

I rinse under water and wipe with toilet paper carefully avoiding the edge for obvious reasons. I like to strop after I shave to help dry the blade and avoid and excess moisture staying on before I put it away. I have such a large (not that large maybe 20 razor rotation) that if I don't thuroughly dry it I may wind up with some rust near the pivot next time I go to use. That really chaps my ***.
right on, exactly what I do

I also strongly agree with the excellant scag315 post above.

I rinse toe and edge down under hot running water. If the lather is slow to come off the blade, it may be too dry and need rehydration and remixing. Don't hit the razor edge against anything or get water between the scales and in the pivot. I wipe with bathroom tissue or a dry towel after use, air dry, strop, and wipe carbon steel with an oily patch before storage.

Wiping lather off on a sponge or folded towel using a stropping edge trailing stroke is also popular.

Never put away a razor that may have gotten water between the scales before 1st being certain that the water is all gone and oiling the carbon steel. Stains and rust are heart breaking, especially on a new or high value razor.

HTH

Last edited:
Rinse with the water in the sink that's keeping my lather warm. When finished I rinse under running water. never had a problem...

I never wipe the blade off. Simply run it under hot water and that should be enough to move away the soap/stubble build up

Hot water, then small towel one the side of the sink to wipe the water off the razor, then continue with the shave....

Bar towel here, draped over my off-hand. Edge cleaned using a light lateral pass on the slightly raised middle finger with a slight stropping motion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom