What's new

How and with what do you wipe your razor during shaving?

Stupid question perhaps but I just wonder what do you use to wipe the mix of hair and lather that sticks to your blade while you shave! I know that some folks palm strop during shaving to wipe off the goo. I use a small towel that I also use to wipe my face at the end. You?

Quick rinse under running water for me. Somehow I am always afraid it will hurt the edge if I accidentally cut through a towel/sponge wiping off the lather. Its probably all in my head but for this reason I only wipe the razor clean at the very end of the shave, and at that time I do it very very carefully in a stropping fashion.

I use a wash cloth. Usually I dampen it first, but sometimes I just use it dry. I usually fold it over the spine the way you would dry a blade.

I'm of the big sponge variety that is kept in the sink with some water. I bring the sponge up to the razor, so it minimizes the risk of the sink monster biting my edge.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I used my palm for a week until I cut myself from the junction of the thumb and side of the hand where my index finger is to the middle of the wrist. It wasn't deep, but there was a lot of blood.

I always wet a sponge (cheap coloured square sponge) I wet the sponge well, squeeze any excess water and "strop" the razor on the sponge. If I cut it, it's a sponge but I've been using the same since 2010.

Quick rinse under running water for me. Somehow I am always afraid it will hurt the edge if I accidentally cut through a towel/sponge wiping off the lather. Its probably all in my head but for this reason I only wipe the razor clean at the very end of the shave, and at that time I do it very very carefully in a stropping fashion.
Rinsing only just don't washes away the goo that accumulates on my edges. That stuff is really sticky unless I do a very runny lather. I had the same concerns as you. Reason why I always wipe in a stropping move on the folded frotté towel lying on my sink.

I rinse with hot water during shave.
I dry with microfiber cloth when I am finished. Not only does it remove moisture it also easily removes soap scum from blade, razor, brush handle, lather bowl, sink and counter top. And it vworks miracle on my eye glasses.
Mickey

Rinsing only just don't washes away the goo that accumulates on my edges. That stuff is really sticky unless I do a very runny lather. I had the same concerns as you. Reason why I always wipe in a stropping move on the folded frotté towel lying on my sink.

Very interesting, it means we definitely don't use the same type of lather! Mine washes off very easily, even sometime drops from the blade if I accumulate too much in one pass.

edit: Do you guys rinse the razor under hot water before first putting it to your face? I noticed that ONCE I forgot to do that and was surprised at how cold the steel felt against my face!

Rinse under running water. I like to do this not only to clean the blade, but it also gives me an idea about my lather quality. I expect my lather should rinse easily from the edge. If running water has difficulty doing this, it's an indicator my lather can tolerate more water.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
Rinse under running water, wipe on a towel - there is a little art to that towel wiping without hitting the edge. But you'll know if you do it wrong.

Afterwards, I clean the blade with a little wipe that has JNat slurry on it from wiping my lapped hones off. I moisten it with a spritz of water and it removes all soap scum/residue. Then I give it a stropping.

Cheers, Steve

I rinse under water and wipe with toilet paper carefully avoiding the edge for obvious reasons. I like to strop after I shave to help dry the blade and avoid and excess moisture staying on before I put it away. I have such a large (not that large maybe 20 razor rotation) that if I don't thuroughly dry it I may wind up with some rust near the pivot next time I go to use. That really chaps my ***.

Top Bottom