What's new

First Semogue boar

Happy to get my first Semogue Brush, an SOC boar in Cherry. :)

Been using an Omega boars for the past few months (48, 49, and a smaller one from Shoppers), and am curious to experience the difference between Omegas and Semogues.

Any tips? What should I expect?

$uploadfromtaptalk1398378221094.jpg

You will come to love it; at least I did mine. It took me about 30 shaves or so before I felt it was "broken in" so count on a break in period before you decide if you like yours or not. IMHO the SOC boar is one of the great bargains out there and excels at bowl lathering. Brushes are a YMMV thing so there will be other opinions to say the least.

I'm new to DE shaving. The Semogue boars top the charts in softness and backbone. I have the SOC but the Cerda is my favorite. If your itching for another brush. Order the Semogue Cerda from Vintage Scent. Lots of B&B members have ordered this brush and I've not read one negative review.

Congratulations. You have acquired a great brush. Omega knots stay tight, whereas your SOC will splay a lot. This splay is part of the charm of the SOC and is one of the characteristics that make it so well liked. You'll have to decide for yourself which type of boar knot you prefer. However, give the SOC ample time to break in.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
What you should expect? Simply the finest boar brush currently made. As always, my personal opinion.

Congratulations. You have acquired a great brush. Omega knots stay tight, whereas your SOC will splay a lot. This splay is part of the charm of the SOC and is one of the characteristics that make it so well liked. You'll have to decide for yourself which type of boar knot you prefer. However, give the SOC ample time to break in.

Hmm ... that splay is probably what I hate! Thanks for clarifying :thumbup:

Really, that is the most logical explanation I've read so far for the different behaviour of Omega and Semogue knots, and why Semogue and me don't get along.

I'm new to DE shaving. The Semogue boars top the charts in softness and backbone. I have the SOC but the Cerda is my favorite. If your itching for another brush. Order the Semogue Cerda from Vintage Scent. Lots of B&B members have ordered this brush and I've not read one negative review.

The cerda is my absolute favorite boar brush. It's short loft and dense knot is just amazing!

I have both a SOC and an Omega 20102 Pro-series. While the SOC is not a bad brush especially for creams and bowl lathering, I prefer the Omega.

Like the other poster I would prefer my boar brush knots stay tight so I'll be on the lookout for one of the Omegas.

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Like the other poster I would prefer my boar brush knots stay tight so I'll be on the lookout for one of the Omegas.
Dave; Look at the Omega 31064. Google "a beginner's guide to boar brushes" by Zach for a very detailed article with pics. I have one, love it, love the handle! It lathers well and gives it up well.
I don't have a Semogue yet...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments! Great insights and observations of Omegas and Semogues! I wonder what I will eventually prefer. Probably all!

Looking forward to starting to use the brush on Monday.

I have both a SOC and an Omega 20102 Pro-series. While the SOC is not a bad brush especially for creams and bowl lathering, I prefer the Omega.

The Omega 20102 is one of my favourites as well. And indeed, I think the loft is much better than the Semogue.

It's all personal preference of course. I am an Omega fan.

If you want a tight Omega, avoid their dyed/banded boars. For some reason, they are much less firm than the undyed brushes. I imagine they receive some sort of treatment in addition to the coloring.

Also, not all Semogues widely splay. There are certainly great Semogue boars with shorter/firmer lofts, like the 610 and 620.

proxy.php

If you want a tight Omega, avoid their dyed/banded boars. For some reason, they are much less firm than the undyed brushes. I imagine they receive some sort of treatment in addition to the coloring.

Also, not all Semogues widely splay. There are certainly great Semogue boars with shorter/firmer lofts, like the 610 and 620.

proxy.php

Semogue Cerda: The boar monster with backbone and softness for lathering soaps.

Top Bottom