What's new

AE Service

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I posted about a month ago about a relatively new pair of Allen Edmond shoes with a sole that was separating from the shoe. They paid to have it shipped in for repair.

They just called and decided that the shoe was less than a year old and I should not lose one of my re-crafting possibilities so soon - so they will make me a new pair.

That's pretty darn good service.

Yeah, I remember the thread. This kind of stuff is what I point to when people poo-poo their recent sales and worry the company is being stripped. They know they have to keep their image of quality, so when they put out a lemon (if yours really was a lemon, I forget exactly what happened to it) they attempt to make it right.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
$IMG_2084.jpg

I've been missing them as they are one of my most comfortable shoes. I told them the old pair had the toe box stretched in the right shoe and I would be happy to pay for that in the new pair. They said they would comp that as well.

They are putting out of a lot of crap lately. This did not happen before they were purchased in 2006. The ones I have from years ago were as good as anything out there. They have been going downhill for years now & just because they replace it does not mean they are producing a quality product. In fact it infers the opposite.

Everything I've read about the company's recent quality history suggested that a lot of the quality issues actually started to manifest themselves before the first sale in 2006. The company was struggling and it was showing in the product. Issues persisted for a bit after the sale. However, the company was slightly reorganized, had a different marketing strategy, and introduced some cheaper models to widen their market share. For the most part, everything has turned around. Perhaps it's not the same as "the good old days" but you still can't beat them in the price bracket.

As I said before, the problem isn't quality, it's quality assurance. Replacements do address that. Ideally nothing bad would get off the factory floor, but then you suffer with lower production, and lower revenue, and then the company is out of business.

A lot of their newer styles are of varied quality and design. If that's the "crap" you're talking about, that's fine. But the traditional shoes (Strands, Park Aves, McAllister, etc.) are just the same as they have been. I haven't seen them myself but I've heard good things about their Independence line (Jeffersons, etc.) that are meant to compete with Aldens. Higher price point, better leathers, etc.

I have been using these shoes since the late 60s & the park avenue & other top end from them are no where near the quality, craftsmanship that the older ones where. I have only used A&E & Alden until recently & believe me I have the shoes in my closet from the last 40+ years to prove what I say. The ones they are putting out today are not even close & yes I have purchased three pair recently. Best.

Well, regardless of quality issues or quality assurance issues, I will continue to buy and support AE. I now have 6 pair of AE's and have had zero issues with them. The fit is great, the comfort is second to none and in their price range they're a no brainer; all of this is of course IMO, which I believe we're all entitled to.

I am in Jeff's camp regarding having a very positive experience with Allen Edmond's customer service and their support after the purchase. Though I mostly have their "rough" collection shoes and have seen enough variation to know it is not all roses and daisies.

Also I very much appreciate Grayson's and others responses about the longer term A&E quality and providing a balanced perspective.

I've already voiced issues that I have had. Rapid heel wear aside, there is no way I should have holed a sole in 6 months when my daily walking in them on concrete and pavement is limited to trips to and from the car.
Giving credit, I bought a belt in Bourbon, with perforations to match my Strands.
That belt has been a daily-wear belt, often times even on my days off, for close to 2 years now and it still looks as good as the day I received it.
Every now and then a "glue booger" will appear through one of the perforations, but the finish and leather itself remain impeccable.

I happened today to talk with the only high end clothing store that continued to carry them after 2008. They are going to Alden's because he said he is having to replace at least 1 pair in 4 that they are selling. My point was you had company making shoes that if you took care of them they will last you a lifetime, now you are lucky if you get two years. I was very partial to their shoes until the change went down & I & other retailers saw what was happening. I always disliked the steel shank in Alden's. This same thing happen to Cole haan & florsheim. Bes Guys.

I would agree with Grayson and Rich.

I have a pair of Park Avenues that last for 2.5 years before needing to be recrafted. I never wore them on consecutive days and went for a long stretch of time where I only wore them once a week. 2.5 divided by 2 (every other day) is 1.25, and accounting for the stretch of time where I only wore them once a week, they probably only lasted me a year. I have had Rockports last longer. The lady from AE told me there was "significant water damage". Ya, ok :lol:

I also have a pair of Fifth Avenues that have lasted for about 2.5 years. I will be sending them in within the next week to get recrafted. The heel is peeling and the leather covering the cork is wearing away.

If the price point between Allen Edmonds and Aldens were not so large, I would just donate the Park Avenues and Fifth Avenues to Goodwill and get Aldens.

Based on the original crafting, I'm not even messing with their "recrafting" at what I would expect to be $100+

Little cobbler across the street from my office resoled my Strands for $55, would have been a 1-day turnaround if I had wanted.
My only complaint was he used brown edge dressing.

Matt, I have that Goodyear thin half sole placed on all my shoes & when it wears , I have it replaced. So out of 22 pair of A&E, Alden, I have had only one pair recrafted. Now most will come from the factory if you ask. Its not difficult to do & a cobbler will do it for 20 bucks & it impossible for them to mess up the shoe as its glued on the shoe. If you need one, I will send you to mine in Charlotte.

Oh matt, I forgot, the pair I had rec rafted lasted 10 years & they were A&E. Had I not got caught walking in a rainstorm from a flat tire, I would not have had to do that.

Matt, I have that Goodyear thin half sole placed on all my shoes & when it wears , I have it replaced. So out of 22 pair of A&E, Alden, I have had only one pair recrafted. Now most will come from the factory if you ask. Its not difficult to do & a cobbler will do it for 20 bucks & it impossible for them to mess up the shoe as its glued on the shoe. If you need one, I will send you to mine in Charlotte.

What do you mean by "that Goodyear thin half sole"?

Its a thin piece of rubber they put on the leather sole. It keeps the leather from wearing. Its so thin , you don't notice it is on the shoe. A&E, Alden put it on from the factory if you request. The general term for it is sole saver. PM me if you want the shop I use in Charlotte to do this. Best. Grayson

Its a thin piece of rubber they put on the leather sole. It keeps the leather from wearing. Its so thin , you don't notice it is on the shoe. A&E, Alden put it on from the factory if you request. The general term for it is sole saver. PM me if you want the shop I use in Charlotte to do this. Best. Grayson

Okay, so you aren't referring to the Goodyear Welt or the half-sole that is available on some AE styles.
I got the half-sole on my McAllisters after putting the hole through the Strands, but the local cobbler's replacement on the Strands has been fine, so when I finally wear out the McAllisters, I'll likely have him resole them in full leather.

Top Bottom