What's new

Thinking of Getting a Humidor

So a buddy of mine and myself are considering getting a humidor. The only problem is that we are in college, and are pretty much broke. That being said, we like to smoke a decent amount, especially the occasional cigar, or pipe, or hookah pack.
Anyways, I was just wondering if you all have any advice for selecting a humidor. We were hoping to keep the price below $60, and I don't think we could imagine putting more than, say, 25 cigars in there between the two of us.

I open to any suggestions about selecting a good humidor! Also, keep in mind I'm pretty new when it comes to cigars, I'm more knowledgeable about pipes and hookah.

proxy.php
I saw this thread title and was going to post the link to that thread. Buy now, think later! :wink: :laugh:

I bought it and it seems really nice. It's definitely a great deal.

I have a cheap suggestion for you. I have been using a cooler as a humidor for a couple of years now. You can size the humidor to meet your needs. Mine holds about 250 cigars. It is much easier to regulate the humidity. It does not need to be seasoned before use. All you need a piece of cedar on the bottom to let the air circulate around the cigars and a small jar of humidification gel. Use a good quality cigar juice, not water to maintain the proper relative humidity. Spend your money on good cigars instead. You can PM me if you have any quit ones.

Oh, and a couple more thoughts...

Cigars are a lot more expensive than supplies for your pipes and hookahs, at least the sort that you keep in a humidor are.

If you want to keep 25 cigars around, that 50-cigar humidor should be just about perfect. My 20-cigar humidor of similar design is VERY crowded with 18 cigars, a hygrometer, and some humidification stuff. Bummer that the deal expired, but another like it ought to come around...or go with a coolerdor, or a large glass food container -- Pyrex makes glass lasagna pans that are good for this with a thick rubber cover that snaps on tightly.

Last edited:
You're tellin' me! Part of the reason I got into pipes in the first place is because it was a lot cheaper than cigars!

Thanks for the suggestion, bigger seems to be the way to go then?

I have a humidor I'll give you that I never use. It will need to be re-seasoned.

I would just request that you pay shipping.

PM me and we can chat.

Edit: sorry for double post. My phone is being funny.

Last edited:
I actually have one of these that I tossed some heartfelt industry beads into and tossed some overflow cigars into. Should hold a 150+ singles cigars easily probably closer to 200ish. So far it holds rh fine, but then again I don't think ive opened it in awhile, I should probably check on it tonight when I get home. I think it ended up being like $25 shipped. I've got some spanish cedar planks that I've been meaning to cut down and line this thing with, but I've been lazy and haven't had the time.

I'll snap some pics when I get home for ya.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I'm starting to think that just about anything with an air tight seal can be used as a humidor. Simply toss some cedar in and some humidity beads/packs and you're good to go.

My 50ct humidor is getting crowded so I'll likely just hit up Wally World for some Tupperware and buy some Boveda packs.

I'm starting to think that just about anything with an air tight seal can be used as a humidor. Simply toss some cedar in and some humidity beads/packs and you're good to go.

My 50ct humidor is getting crowded so I'll likely just hit up Wally World for some Tupperware and buy some Boveda packs.

Air tight seal, no scent, good material that won't pass even the smallest molecules. Glass and metal are probably better than most plastics.

I guess having some appropriate cedar (perhaps taken from a cigar box) in there helps somehow, but apart from perhaps acting as vapor ballast for humidity control I don't know how it helps.

Top Bottom