What's new

Can you write fast with one?

On my job I take a lot of info on the phone and then transfer it to the computer. I can write faster than type(keyboarding). I use a roller ball now. Could a fountain pen write fast enough? Thanks.

I couldn't see why not. I'm still pretty new to this, but I have yet to write faster than my pen could go.

IMHO, fountain pens aren't for fast scribbling/note taking, but everyone is different. You could start off cheap and see how it works, so you aren't sunk too much if it isn't to your liking. I keep a few rollerballs around precisely for what you are doing currently.

I can probably write about as fast with a fine firm nib as I can with anything, although above a certain speed my handwriting goes downhill rapidly. I'd be a lot slower with, say, a flex nib or italic, but probably wouldn't have those at work anyway.

Still, I often use a mechanical pencil for the kind of quick note taking you describe. It's not so much that I can write faster as that I don't want to worry about damaging my writing instrument when I get in a rush, and my attention is divided. Might not be a concern for another person.

Last edited:
I also find mechanical pencils or a good rollerball pen more practical for faster writing. However, I don't do it at all, any longer. Good luck to you.

Beside g2s, I use a retro 51 ballpoint and a pilot metro rollerball for work. While I love my FPs, they were not conducive. More because the cap. I do want to trya vanishing point

IT shouldn't be a problem, secretaries did it for decades taking shorthand dictations. The problem they had was after writing a few full pages in their notebook without a stop, the collector would run dry and the feed couldn't keep up, so a few groups like Parker and later Esterbrook invented a shorthand nib/feed that was designed to keep up with fast writing. I doubt anyone today would need such a nib/feed combo.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I would think a medium nib would have no problem keeping up - mine goes faster than my handwriting prefers.

I write fast for phone note taking... my pelikan, pilot, keep up just fine, the slip cap for on my 51 make it faster then all pens ive used

I never even thought of speed as an issue as ita never been a problem for me with my pens

Any recommendations for me? Kinda of heavy handed, never liked fine points. Would rather spend a little more for a quality instrument. have looked at a few sites and get more confused every time. Don't have the time to thrift store or garage sale shop.

As someone else said, I can't outwrite my 51s.

It's pretty difficult to find those with medium or broad nibs, no?

I would recommend a Pilot Metropolitan to start out, just to keep things simple. Fountain pens might not work out for the OP, but I'd be surprised if that ended up being the case.

-Andy

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It depends.

The right ink, nib and feed ... you have no problems.

I can't out write my "51"

Yeah, but you are an old codger who's pretty slow.

Any recommendations for me? Kinda of heavy handed, never liked fine points. Would rather spend a little more for a quality instrument. have looked at a few sites and get more confused every time. Don't have the time to thrift store or garage sale shop.

How much do you want to spend?

It's pretty difficult to find those with medium or broad nibs, no?

I would recommend a Pilot Metropolitan to start out, just to keep things simple. Fountain pens might not work out for the OP, but I'd be surprised if that ended up being the case.

-Andy

I've only found one 51 with a medium nib. All the rest have been fine points.

Based on this i would go with a Lamy 2000 in medium or broad. Best bang for your buck imho.

Top Bottom