What's new

Is AOS Sandalwood That Good?

I've seen AOS Sandalwood thrown around as one of the best soaps many members have used. I'm wondering if it is really that good at $30 for a refill puck. I can get a D.R. Harris in a wooden bowl for the same price. I've used Harris, THE FAT, Tabac and Stirling; I love all of these. Is AOS worth it?

That's what I'm afraid of. My first hard soap was Harris. I experienced a nice wow factor when trying THE FAT and Tabac so I would like my next soap to be a similar experience. Especially at $30 per puck.

I like it and I love the scent. Now I have never had the pleasure of trying another sandalwood so take that into consideration.

usually i can find aos sandalwood soap pucks for under 30$, including USA shipping.
it's a couple $ more than DR Harris.
But AOS sandalwood scent is exceptional.
I also like DRH Arlington, Lavender, Almond pucks.
This is a hobby for me, not a utility cost.

strop

Now half as wise
What you get now is the new formula, so none of the "clay" smell. I am just finishing a puck in the 3017 thread, and have been very pleasantly surprised, as I am an unabashed fan of AOS Tallow and DR Harris. If you want the Sandalwood, and can pick one up on sale, I think you'll be happy.

I haven't tried anything AOS yet, so I can't testify to they're scents. But if it's sandalwood soap your after, Crabtree and Evelyn has a sandalwood soap that's pretty awesome, and the refill is only $9. Hard to beat that. Although not having tried any other sandalwood products, this stuff could be crap as I have no benchmark :001_tt2:

I received one of the pump-containers of AOS Sandalwood cream in a trade with a fellow member, and I think its a very good performer with a great scent. Honestly, Proraso Red is my favorite sandalwood scent, but AOS is pretty nice. I can't comment on the hard soap, but I think the cream is very nice. Also, I don't know what the price tag is new - so I'm not sure if I'd choose it over a tube of Proraso, but I'd choose it over a few of the other sandalwood scents I've tried.

I bought up 3 pucks when the whole tallow discontinuation scare was going around and it is a good soap but IMHO not any better than Tabac or Harris. Having gone through a puck and a half I wouldn't buy more but I will probably keep that last one around for a while just to say I have some. And as far as scent goes I would forget the soap and go with AOS sandalwood cream...that must be what heaven is going to smell like.

I have been using AoS's sandalwood (new formula) soap for a while now and I think its a great soap. The scent is very nice and has none of the clay smell of the previous version. I would say its easier to lather than DRH but might be a little more drying.

I am relatively new to the wet shaving game, but all I've used is AOS sandalwood soap and cream (much more often, the soap). To me, there is barely a scent left to my puck after a couple of months, but I have no complaints about the thick, slick lather I am able to generate every time. The cream has more scent, but I think that's because it's contained in a screw-top jar. However, I will never ever spend $30 on a puck of soap again. I think all of AOS's products are vastly overpriced.

Even as a newb realizing this wont be as cheap as I had planned, I'll NEVER pay 30 dollars for a soap! I guess that means I'll miss out on AOS stuff, but I'd rather buy 15 Stirling samples for that price.

Top Bottom