What's new

New car shopping - so many interiors are black

Been shopping for a new car and noticed that so many of the interiors are black. Ugh. The last and only black interior I owned was in a 1968 Chevrolet Chevelle. There is also a reason that was my last black interior. Hot as the dickens in the summer sun. Unbearable really.

The 2014 Toyota Corolla is probably going to be my next vehicle. Touch choice between the Sport model with the 6 speed manual transmission and the LE Plus with the CVT transmission. Both ride nicely, comfortable seats, nice styling. Just don't care for the black interior of the Sport.

I agree, interiors these days are usually black or Tan, sometimes you might find a gray one. . .

My new one is tan seats and everything else is black:(

Yes, I don't get the tan and black combination at all. Used to be the manufacturers would have brown dash trim with tan, but not anymore.

Can't get a decent manual transmission anymore either. Don't get me started on the trim packages required to get XM radio.

My first car had black vinyl seats under a Georgia sun. I had to keep a towel in the back to sit on. Those seats would burn through Levi's. Couldn't rest your arm out the window either because of the black trim.

I have owned silver cars with tan leather interiors ever since.

I agree, interiors these days are usually black or Tan, sometimes you might find a gray one. . .

Seriously. I recall when you could get just about any color you wanted. Now you have a fraction of the selection and it costs 10 times as much.

I think the "problem" is that the US manufacturers are following the Japanese model. If you purchase a certain color vehicle, it comes with a specified color interior. Cutting down on options streamlines production and cuts down on costs for the manufacturer. We can debate if any of those savings are passed down to the consumer..

Agree with your question. I don't understand why more vehicles don't come with lighter color interiors, especially colors that don't show dirt as well. I have been used car shopping and immediately turn away when I see a black interior out of personal preferences due to worries about solar heating and decor.

I have the regular LE with the black and grey two tone interior. The car also has some blue pin-striping that doe not show up in most pictures. I am not sure what you are looking for but remember despite the fact that you get a manual sport addition at the end of the day it will still be a corolla. I also did not get the LE Plus because I cannot see myself spending that kind of money for a compact commuter car. If I were to spend that I would go with the Camry but to each his own.

I have the regular LE with the black and grey two tone interior. The car also has some blue pin-striping that doe not show up in most pictures. I am not sure what you are looking for but remember despite the fact that you get a manual sport addition at the end of the day it will still be a corolla. I also did not get the LE Plus because I cannot see myself spending that kind of money for a compact commuter car. If I were to spend that I would go with the Camry but to each his own.

Thanks for info, appreciated. I have driven compact class cars for nearly 30 years. Bought a midsize 2 years ago and it it too big for my needs. I am downsizing.

Toyota madness heart cars. Mine Sienna ours on 300k without a hitch.That one bess three Camry v6. Love it. Good luck on your choice. Oh I'm soon looking to get one myself;)

I understand you want to downsize. My observation was more geared towards the fact that I will only spend so much on a compact car. It has less to do with desires as opposed to perceived value. I am a well documented cheap bastard and there is only so much I would be willing to spend on a small car. That is what drove my decision.

I understand you want to downsize. My observation was more geared towards the fact that I will only spend so much on a compact car. It has less to do with desires as opposed to perceived value. I am a well documented cheap bastard and there is only so much I would be willing to spend on a small car. That is what drove my decision.

Fully understood and I appreciate your perspective. I long for the return of a clutch, but perhaps not at the compromise of a black interior. I could care less about the body style differences, the firmer suspension or seats. Both are great choices. Probably will go with some version of the LE but will also miss the clutch. Just more fun to drive.

Is the LE your first Toyota?

I ordered my new CLS550 last fall to get the combination of colors and options I wanted. Wound up going with an Almond/Mocha leather interior with burl walnut trim. It came out great and we love the car. Well worth the 3-month wait for an ordered car.

I ordered my new CLS550 last fall to get the combination of colors and options I wanted. Wound up going with an Almond/Mocha leather interior with burl walnut trim. It came out great and we love the car. Well worth the 3-month wait for an ordered car.

Do you have to pay MSRP if you custom order a car, or is it still the same haggle process?

Do you have to pay MSRP if you custom order a car, or is it still the same haggle process?

MSRP?!? Never!! It's the same process to custom order, but I haven't haggled for a car in years. I just won't play that game.

My process: I search online for dealers within, say, 200 miles, checking their ratings and reviews. When I've winnowed the list to an acceptable subset, I check to see which of those dealers has identified an internet sales manager on their website with a posted email address. Then I write that person a very specific email, attach a pdf output from the manufacturer's configuration utility showing exactly what I want, and request their best price. I'm polite, of course, but very clear that I won't play games - I want their true, OTD best price up front. If it's acceptable, we can move forward. If not, we're done right there with no back and forth.

I got an excellent deal on my car last year entirely through email. The first time I spoke with anyone at the dealership was the day before pickup.

MSRP?!? Never!! It's the same process to custom order, but I haven't haggled for a car in years. I just won't play that game.

My process: I search online for dealers within, say, 200 miles, checking their ratings and reviews. When I've winnowed the list to an acceptable subset, I check to see which of those dealers has identified an internet sales manager on their website with a posted email address. Then I write that person a very specific email, attach a pdf output from the manufacturer's configuration utility showing exactly what I want, and request their best price. I'm polite, of course, but very clear that I won't play games - I want their true, OTD best price up front. If it's acceptable, we can move forward. If not, we're done right there with no back and forth.

I got an excellent deal on my car last year entirely through email. The first time I spoke with anyone at the dealership was the day before pickup.
I pretty much do the same thing, and have gotten some great deals. I will do a round of sub-barganing to see if I can get a better deal, meaning that if a guy is close I might offer up that the guy down the street is $50 cheaper. Can't hurt.

To the OP: Just tint your windows.

Last edited:
Top Bottom