What's new

Gillette Single Rings with British Patent Numbers

R

romsitsa

Nice, nice, nice. The diamond logo is so off in so many ways that I have to think it could be some kind of a pre-production run of the double diamond stamping? The letters "e" are huge the whole text barely fits into the diamon and the lines cross eachother, like the text and diamond were pressed seperately.

The Gillette on the barrel is also interesting.

Adam

R

romsitsa

If the box and razor are a set than K006422 should be an 1908 or 1909 manufacture? The legal notice doesn't contain the "metal box" part.

Adam

proxy.php

I just noticed this set here:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/450761702/gillette-standard-series-single-ring

Apart from the fact that, to my eyes, the 3 blade cover portraits of KCG look slightly different, it has a serial number of E311076 on the outer barrel and and a patent of [FONT=&amp]PAT.NOV.15.04.N. on the inner barrel. Also present are the double diamong logos and the G in square. T[/FONT]he serial number places it at the end of the E series in the wiki but it is out of step with all the other black E series in that it has the N patent and the G in Square.

To me, this reinforces my suspicions that the PAT.NOV.15.04.N series were PERHAPS made in the USA (or Canada), and that this razor was produced in the US after production ceased at Leicester.

I recall that, in his article in the Gillette Blade, Marshall made no mention of the Paris factory and I suspect that this may have been because the Paris operation was defunct at the time of the formation of the English Company and that thereafter, while the sales to France were under the control of the English Company, the manufacture was being supplied by Boston. So, under this, my latest speculation, in the wiki the red series with the leading zeroes and the British patent would have been produced in Paris. The remainder, both red and black, all of which bear the PAT.NOV.15.04.N and one of which has the US signature leading blank, were made in the US for the French market. I think that the same applies to the red E series razors with the PAT.NOV.15.04.N, one of which also has the leading blank serial number.

The only other example of the PAT.NOV.15.04.N is E 45623, which is in the "Others" section of the wiki. It also bears the G in square and has the US leading blank. I think this is a second E series razor dating to 1917, but with the made in the US for the French market principal still applying.

All speculation and JMO.

Cheers, George

R

romsitsa

proxy.php

Apart from the fact that, to my eyes, the 3 blade cover portraits of KCG look slightly different, it has a serial number of E311076 on the outer barrel and and a patent of [FONT=&amp]PAT.NOV.15.04.N. on the inner barrel. Also present are the double diamong logos and the G in square. T[/FONT]he serial number places it at the end of the E series in the wiki but it is out of step with all the other black E series in that it has the N patent and the G in Square.

To me, this reinforces my suspicions that the PAT.NOV.15.04.N series were PERHAPS made in the USA (or Canada), and that this razor was produced in the US after production ceased at Leicester.

I recall that, in his article in the Gillette Blade, Marshall made no mention of the Paris factory and I suspect that this may have been because the Paris operation was defunct at the time of the formation of the English Company and that thereafter, while the sales to France were under the control of the English Company, the manufacture was being supplied by Boston. So, under this, my latest speculation, in the wiki the red series with the leading zeroes and the British patent would have been produced in Paris. The remainder, both red and black, all of which bear the PAT.NOV.15.04.N and one of which has the US signature leading blank, were made in the US for the French market. I think that the same applies to the red E series razors with the PAT.NOV.15.04.N, one of which also has the leading blank serial number.

The only other example of the PAT.NOV.15.04.N is E 45623, which is in the "Others" section of the wiki. It also bears the G in square and has the US leading blank. I think this is a second E series razor dating to 1917, but with the made in the US for the French market principal still applying.

All speculation and JMO.

Cheers, George

Hello George,

blades are US made while the shipper has the British limited licence and 1 Guinea price, I'd imagine the mysterious "British made" sets advertised after Leicester closed down just could have looked like this.

Adam

R

romsitsa

Thinking over Georges theory, E and F series look to be manufactured parallel in the US and Europe. Placement of marking is also the same except for the useage of British or US patent. I don't know what to think about these just observations.

Adam

proxy.php

All speculation and JMO.

Cheers, George
But the Paris factory never had the resources to mass produce razors since it was just a make shift plant that Gillette needed in order to work the patent before the expiration date,( to offset any penalties). The courts were not fooled and didn't recognize the plant as a legit factory. Gillette may have made blades though, or a small production of razors.

But the Paris factory never had the resources to mass produce razors since it was just a make shift plant that Gillette needed in order to work the patent before the expiration date,( to offset any penalties). The courts were not fooled and didn't recognize the plant as a legit factory. Gillette may have made blades though, or a small production of razors.

Hi Alex,
I'm glad to see that you are keeping an eye on this thread. I recall your excellent post on the subject of French patents earlier in this thread, and I am entirely in agreement with your remarks both then and now. There are historical references to factories in Paris but I agree that the production of razors, as opposed to blades, was very short lived and I suspect that this is reflected in the Wiki with the (only) two examples in the red F series of razors with British patents contrasting the vast majority with the augmented US patent. While I formerly disagreed with Mike when he suggested this theory (sorry Mike), I now have difficulty in believing that the bulk of the examples in the F series in the wiki that bear the US+N patented razors were made anywhere but the USA. If they were produced in Leicester why wouldn't they bear the British patent as do the E and H series and the early F series?

Cheers, George

Hello, gentlemen. A new addition for the collection.

Serial number E 130131...
...on top baseplate
Pat. stamp on outer barrel
PAT.NOV.15.04.N
No Gillette diamond logo
G in D (baseplate, underside)
Bought from England

Leather case, cardboard blade boxes. No Patent information on the case.

Pics from seller (which is best...)

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Have a good day, gentlemen!

NOTE Can't link this post to the Wikipage. See, I can copy the link to this post, I can insert the link into the chart... but I can't make it show as "Link"... There's something wrong with me...

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

Hello,

found another ABC pocket, it's code is G003146 (the lowest number I know of), the box has the patent dates and the British patent number in the smaller square. The comb is the machined type (countersunk). The interesting part is that it has no marking on the razor except for the serial and the box has the diamond with an arrow.
My new theory is that this could be a US made ABC pocket for the British market around 1911-13.
It soaks right now, will post pictures after cleaning.

Adam

R

romsitsa

Here it is, no markings anywhere, only G003146. It's really strange that I never met an empire or scroll handle with a G serial. Found here in Hungary.

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Adam

Hi Alex,
I'm glad to see that you are keeping an eye on this thread. I recall your excellent post on the subject of French patents earlier in this thread, and I am entirely in agreement with your remarks both then and now. There are historical references to factories in Paris but I agree that the production of razors, as opposed to blades, was very short lived and I suspect that this is reflected in the Wiki with the (only) two examples in the red F series of razors with British patents contrasting the vast majority with the augmented US patent. While I formerly disagreed with Mike when he suggested this theory (sorry Mike), I now have difficulty in believing that the bulk of the examples in the F series in the wiki that bear the US+N patented razors were made anywhere but the USA. If they were produced in Leicester why wouldn't they bear the British patent as do the E and H series and the early F series?

Cheers, George
That's good question George...

R

romsitsa

Sorry guys, my theory was not good enough. On a closer inspection G003146 has the stumpy locating pins associated with double diamond stamped "English" ABC sets. Either ABC switched to machined combs and short pins at some point or there was a British batch of ABC heads without Gillette logos.
Maybe 003146 was produced before the double stamping and line logo was introduced.

Adam

Sorry guys, my theory was not good enough. On a closer inspection G003146 has the stumpy locating pins associated with double diamond stamped "English" ABC sets. Either ABC switched to machined combs and short pins at some point or there was a British batch of ABC heads without Gillette logos.
Maybe 003146 was produced before the double stamping and line logo was introduced.

Adam
What do you mean

R

romsitsa

Hello Alex,

US ABC razors have the date codes on the upper part of the comb and the comb has a stamped hole for the handle. The locating pins are more rounded than on Single rings or ball ends.
The cases have the patent dates listed.

"British" ABC razors have the date codes on the lower part of the comb (it always starts with G and have zeroes as placeholders) there is a Gillette logo with a line instead of an arrow on the lower part of the comb and cap. The locating pins are more shorter and rounded (I call this stumpy). The combed plates have a machined (countersunk hole) hole for the handle.
The cases are similar to US cases, but have a smaller rectangle with the British patent number, or have patent numbers listed.

G003146 has the date code on the upper part of the comb and a machined hole. The locaring pins are similar to British ones, the case has the patent dates, with British patent number in a small rectangle.

Here a comparison of the caps:
G003146 is the upper one, a US ABC in the middle and the lower is a double stamped British cap.
$IMG_1821.JPG

British comb on the left, on the bottom is the date code, a Gillette logo with line and a GD stamp. In the middle G003146, to the right a US ABC comb from the B series.

$IMG_1822.JPG

Hope this makes sense.

Adam

R

romsitsa

Maybe this popped up earlier, but I couldn't find any info. So there are two low number Pat.Nov....N razors, E 92062 and F 590205. There is a third listed, E 45623, but the Ebay site is gone.
Three razors are not a real sample, but maybe Pat. Nov....N razors didn't have the placeholder 0 digits in the date codes at all?
I couldn't find any examples below serial nr. 100000 from the E and F serials, but there are many starting with 00 from K, H and G series.
This would make me belive that all Pat.Nov....N razors were US manufactured.

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom