What's new

Using a brand of blade exlusively

I've been on the forum a little over a week now, and I've noticed many guys use (or at least have available for use) several brands of blades. I'm curious if anyone uses one brand exclusively. Have you used a blade and said, "Yup, that's my blade. I'm not using any others."?

I ask because I'm working my way through a blade sampler and I find myself hoping to find "the one" and just buy a bulk order and use that blade exclusively. I like the idea of building an inventory of options for soaps/creams and aftershaves, but for some reason, my brain is locked in on this idea of finding "my blade."

I think what you are doing is good. Just don't give up on a blade before you have your technique down. Many would advise sticking with the first blade which seems to work for a month or so and then trying others. I know I was surprised when I went back to a blade (Kai) I had thought was too sharp at first, and it eventually became my favorite, along with Personna labs. Remember that with blades the wet shaver's adage "YMMV" is especially true. Good luck and enjot the ride. It is truly a great journey.

To start off I'd try to find a blade that gives good results when compared to the others you've tried. Stick with that one until you get your technique down and then go back through the sample pack. As mentioned in the post above, don't completely abandon a blade because it gave less than stellar results for your first few shaves with it. Best of luck!

Last edited:
As a new wet shaver (about 3 weeks) I am doing the same thing. My technique has gotten better and have been getting better shaves, but this morning I tried Super-Max Platinum . . YES!! I've had good results with others; the "SMP" gave a nice, smooth shave, no tugging, no weepers, no irritation and, for the first time, my alum block didn't leave my entire face feeling like it had been peeled.

I am tempted to throw everything else out and buy a few hundred SMPs, but reading Shmuel's advice makes me realize that my technique should improve, along with the other factors determining a great shave. Therefore, I will continue to march through my sampler pack and try some others, too.

If I could find one blade that was clear the best blade in all the razors I like to use, I would definitely stick to that one blade. As it is, though, I use about 6 different razors on a regular basis and it seems different razors work better with different blades. i did start out with samplers and amassed over 40 different blades to try out, with about 12 of those yet to try out. I've narrowed down my top 5 or 6 overall and will hopefully be able to narrow it down from there to top 3. If I find a brand that won't cut it after several tries, I don't bother finishing the pack, I get rid of them. No sense using anything but the best, once you figure that out.

I used to change blades all the time. But now, I've decided that Astra SP, Voskhod and Feathers are my favs. I typically stick to those for all of my shaves. I have had some great shaves with English Wilkies, but I don't have a bunch of them.

Once in a while I'll try a new pack that I got in a PIF or a trade.

I've tried dozens of blades, through samplers and our own Great Blade Exchange here. What I found was that no blade gave me a better result than Super Max Platinum so now it and I are in a committed relationship.

Have you used a blade and said, "Yup, that's my blade. I'm not using any others."?

Yes, I said "Yup, that's my blade. I'm not using any others." for a couple of times, and now I have a couple of "my blade".

In other words, it is really hard to make a choice for just one blade brand, like the best one. A lot of excellent blades on the market, and it is the one of many reasons why some people do a blade rotation.

I have gone through samplers and have found 3 blades that work with me in all my razors.
Variety is the spice of my shave...I love moving through a rotation with blades as well as brushes, razors, et al...
Polsilver, Gillette Silver Blue, and Astra SP are my blades. My RBAD is in high gear....Got enough blades to wait out any Russian Embargo...if that be the case :lol: :w00t: :lol:

I've pretty well settled on Feathers, although I use others because I have a fairly substantial stock of blades of many different types that I've collected over the years. But in terms of new purchases...it is, and will be from here, all Feather. I'm not much of a variety guy...except with regard to Razors. Blades and soaps are nearly always the same (again, sans working through older stock).

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I'm a Personna Man and Personnas are my "one brand only". I love the Israeli Red, the US Medical Prep and the US Lab Blue. All three Personna blades are sharp, forgiving and VERY smooth.

I would be perfectly happy with one brand only, and that would be Gillette Platinum. However, I do keep a few others around, and use them occasionally. But I can say I use the dark Platinums 95% of the time, they are excellent in all my razors, for my face at least.

Feather guy and Persona med prep. I have many other blades too that I use, all the Gillette 7 o'clocks, derby, shark astra...A blade is a blade to me...but I love my favorites.

I've tried dozens of blades, through samplers and our own Great Blade Exchange here. What I found was that no blade gave me a better result than Super Max Platinum so now it and I are in a committed relationship.

Yup big +1 on the SuperMax Platinums! I've tried about 20 different blades before settling on the SMP's as my #1. I have DE 10 razors and they work wonderfully in about 7, the other 3 require either a Feather, or Personna Lab. I bought 100 of the SMP's last sumer and 100 of the Personnas in the fall. Should be set for at least another year.

When I started off here I was PIFd some Derbys and hated them. I found Personna blades locally and loved them. I have been using Personnas ever since. I've received several blade samplers, but have yet to try more than just a few of them out. I just love my Personnas. Although, if you've read any of my recent posts, I've also recently taken a liking to feathers.

For years I had just one razor and blade combo. EJ DE87 & Wal-Mart sourced Wilkinson Swords. Never really knew there were so many brands to choose from besides drug store Personnas (I think that's what they are) and the WS. As Wal-Mart stopped carrying my blades, I found this site and all hell broke loose. Tried a few sample packs and bought a new razor (RazoRock Jaws OC). I really feel this is where it gets hard to settle on one blade brand. Lots of folks on this forum have many razors. And from just having two, and testing the blades rather methodically, it became obvious that the same blade performed differently in each of my two razors.

I have narrowed down to three brands and have acquired bulk buys for each.
Astra SP
Personna Israeli Red
Voskhod

For the EJ DE87, the Voskhod and Personna blades perform just about equally with the edge going to the Voskhod. (They seem to last for more shaves & feel a tad sharper & smoother).

For the Jaws OC it's the Astra SPs hands down.

So, I think it's a combination of razor compatibility with XXX brand blade and your own impressions, assuming good prep and technique are in play.

Will I try others in the future? Probably. Especially if I read a glowing review here on the B&B!

When I started off here I was PIFd some Derbys and hated them. I found Personna blades locally and loved them. I have been using Personnas ever since. I've received several blade samplers, but have yet to try more than just a few of them out. I just love my Personnas. Although, if you've read any of my recent posts, I've also recently taken a liking to feathers.

Which variety of Personna do you prefer?

I'm a Personna Man and Personnas are my "one brand only". I love the Israeli Red, the US Medical Prep and the US Lab Blue. All three Personna blades are sharp, forgiving and VERY smooth.

yup. I use the Israeli Reds exclusively, and have for almost 5 years. I have a handful of blades around that I try from time to time, but ultimately, I end up back with the Reds.

Top Bottom