What's new

Have you ever got a "lemon" bulk pack of blades?

I don't mean blind buys, where you buy a bulk pack of blades you don't have much experience with.

What I'm wondering about is a situation where you have used a blade for awhile, and buy a pack of 50, 100, 200, whatever blades, and they're noticably different from your previous experiences with that blade.

Has that happened to you? If so what was the story?

It hasn't happened to me but it's something I worry about a bit.

Not as you describe, because I still have tucks from 100 packs I bought from when I started a decade ago. Which means I wouldn't have yet needed to buy a new lot of them yet.

The only blades I've doubted were a 100 pack of Voskhods, I bought very early on. My initial uses of them were not memorably bad. Then I got away from them to try other things. When I came back to them a few years later, I absolutely couldn't stand them. Very tuggy. But the way others speak so glowingly of them, it made me think I'd maybe got a bad batch.

The only blades I've doubted were a 100 pack of Voskhods, I bought very early on. My initial uses of them were not memorably bad. Then I got away from them to try other things. When I came back to them a few years later, I absolutely couldn't stand them. Very tuggy. But the way others speak so glowingly of them, it made me think I'd maybe got a bad batch.
Exact same with the 100 Voskhods I bought, a few years back.

Voskhods. In my experience wild variation. Derby Extra. They were good for years and then they weren’t anymore.

A whole brick of duds? Never.

I have found a very few individual duds in amongst a bunch of good blades. In the seven years I've been wetshaving, I could count the duds on one hand and still have a finger left over to flip at the manufacturer.

Some blades match up better with different razors. I love a Feather with a post-war BET. I would find that same Feather with an R41 to be brutal.

Going the other way, a Voskhod or a Derby Extra is ideal for the R41 but would be very inefficient in a Feather AS-D2.

Horses for courses.

Just my $0.02.

Top Bottom