What's new

Who Else Diggs the Micromatic?

Just switched up from the MMOC to try my Flying Wing. I like it! Passing the OC on now on the 'bay b/c I got these this week and just cleaned them up... $uploadfromtaptalk1396723618814.jpg

Last edited:
I just bought an MMOC from MaximeD here on the board. Thanks for a very good deal. Also have a Bullet Tip inbound. Can't wait to get them here and fire them up.

I dig the MMOC, for sure. I have two of them. I also have a Slanted Wing with Guiding Eye (a/k/a Bullet Tip), but it's a bit too mild for my taste.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice Micromatic viceguy. What I like about the open comb version is the aggressiveness, so I doubt I would like bullet tip either.

I just used my MMOC today for the first time this morning, completed a two pass DFS in about 9mins and I have to say that it was much easier and much less daunting that everyone was making it out to be, I really thought it was a pretty tame shaver in regards to ease of use and smoothness of the shave, I didn't go for broke and try to get a super smooth shave but it did a really good job in the two quick passes I managed, it didn't bite me at all really and was pretty impressive, I look forward to giving it another try soon!

I Dig the Micromatic open comb for sure!

I want to love my Micromatics..... but I get better shaves so far with my Eversharp Schick Injector G's and my Ever Ready 1912. I'd say even my GEM G-Bar is above the Micromatics for me. I need to experience them a little more..... having only shaved with them a few times each with both the Clog Pruf and the OC.

Ben

I concur.
I use my single edges for 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Pass. I use a DE for 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] pass and touch up. I get more than one shave out of the DE blades(3-4). 6-7 out of the Single.

Second attempt this morning with my Bullet Tip. Just too mild for me. Felt like it only got about 50% of my whiskers on pass 1. I switched to my 1940's Super Speed and had a quick, clean BBS.

I have a MMOC on the way from a B&B'er. It is supposed to me more aggressive, so I am looking forward to trying it out.

Second attempt this morning with my Bullet Tip. Just too mild for me. Felt like it only got about 50% of my whiskers on pass 1. I switched to my 1940's Super Speed and had a quick, clean BBS.

I have a MMOC on the way from a B&B'er. It is supposed to me more aggressive, so I am looking forward to trying it out.

Three possibilities: You have very tough whiskers, or you might try a different brand of blade, or you angle was not quite spot on.

I find the Micromatics (either open comb or Clog Pruf) to be fairly mild shavers compared to other SE's. What are your guy's thoughts on that? I get a relatively similar and close shave with my ER Streamline, ER 1912 and a G-bar.... but the Micromatics seem to be milder in comparison.

Ben
It depends on which Micromatic. For me the OCMM and Clog Pruf are pretty aggressive; the CP slightly less so than the OC. But both put quite a bit of blade on the face. The Bullet Tip, on the other hand, is definitely milder, much closer in character to the G-Bar, with which it shares a quite similar head geometry. I haven't tried a Streamline, but to me the aggression hierarchy among the Gems I have tried goes (from most to least): OCMM, Clog Pruf, 1912, Bullet Tip, and G-Bar (along with its shared head design antecedents like the Featherweight and the Contour). There are of course several variations of the 1912, but my reference point here is the "standard" Brooklyn version.

. So what is the Clog Pruf like? Is it mild or agressive?

I consider the Clog Pruf an aggressive razor. Not quite as aggressive as the OCMM, but pretty close. For me, it's not a scary-aggressive razor, but it's not something you want to get careless or sloppy with either. With the correct angle and a good blade, it will deliver as a close a shave as I can stand, and in short order.

Top Bottom