What's new

Summer bdu trousers?

Gents,
Was hoping someone might be able to guide me on picking up some new trousers for the summer. I intend to get some more summer-oriented BDUs, since wearing fire-navy all the time is not only bland, but might draw looks in the dead of summer! haha!

So I think I am going to go with either Khaki or Coyote. Any opinion? One of the big things for me is: Which hides dirt, blood, and other goodness better? No I am not a serial killer, just an overworked volunteer FF and soon to be EMT... Ill bet thats the first time anyone has asked that one!

Also on materials: Will 60/40 cotton-poly be okay for working outdoors in the summer heat? Or would something 100% cotton be better? I never wear shorts... I shy from the cotton due to durability issues, but at the same time I same time I am not into sweltering...

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Battle Dress Uniform. Although it seems he's specifically talking about pants to use while working as an EMT/Firefighter. Not exactly the normal fashion forum stuff, it's more workwear related.

I would say that any cotton-poly blend would be better than 100% cotton. It's normally cooler in the summer, helps stay dry, and is more durable. I'd go with the lightest color you can, which I would assume to be khaki.

Yeah, its essentially the old military trousers (Battle Dress Uniform).. except not camo! They're just hard wearing 'cargo-pants' with double knees and arses, and in a rip-stop fabric! Thats why I like em, less easy to wear holes in em!

Edit: Beat me to it Logistic!
--You mean blood-and-vomit stained clothes aren't all the fashion in Milan this year?!? lol! :)

Last edited:

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Just got two pairs of [FONT=&quot]5.11 Tactical TacLite Pro Pant in khaki and navy from ChiefSupply. Very nicely made and perfect fit. They have a Teflon coating that should help with stain repelling. I saw one of my colleagues wearing them a few weeks ago [/FONT]at one of our customers and I really liked them. They are poly/cotton mix, not too light but also not too heavy to wear in the summer. Hope the material mix is a bit more resistant to chemicals than my cotton Dockers or jeans.

Just got two pairs of [FONT=&amp]5.11 Tactical TacLite Pro Pant in khaki and navy from ChiefSupply. Very nicely made and perfect fit. They have a Teflon coating that should help with stain repelling. I saw one of my colleagues wearing them a few weeks ago [/FONT]at one of our customers and I really liked them. They are poly/cotton mix, not too light but also not too heavy to wear in the summer. Hope the material mix is a bit more resistant to chemicals than my cotton Dockers or jeans.

The ones I generally get are the knock-offs of those... they're half the price-- when I come in contact with particularly nasty stuff I just chuck em... or go to the laundrymat-- nothing like a little Hepatitis sharing among strangers, eh? lol The only bad part is I am on the lower end of the ' large' size... so I have to cynch em down tight with a belt... or sag em! :blush:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Battle Dress Uniform. Although it seems he's specifically talking about pants to use while working as an EMT/Firefighter. Not exactly the normal fashion forum stuff, it's more workwear related.

Aaaaaaahhh ... now I understand.

Please discuss ... if you need to know what pocket square to wear with them, ask me. Otherwise, I will just stand over here and practice my lines for the local amateur comedy players' production of the stage play version of Hogan's Heroes.

... I play Sgt. Schultz.

Aaaaaaahhh ... now I understand.

Please discuss ... if you need to know what pocket square to wear with them, ask me. Otherwise, I will just stand over here and practice my lines for the local amateur comedy players' production of the stage play version of Hogan's Heroes.

... I play Sgt. Schultz.

Hahaha! That was good.

Now a pocket square with a duty uniform... that could prove interesting... maybe one of those lapel flowers.... lol

For what you are talking about using them for, I would recommend the old US Navy DCU (Desert Combat Uniform) The trousers are not double fronted on the knees, they are made of a ripstop like material, they breathe excellent, hide stains well (including blood) and they aren't sixty buck a pair like 5.11 tac. or any other tactical supplier's version. I would try an army/navy store or do some good old Google searching. Good luck!

Trust me, it'll be a cold day in hell before I pay $60 a pair for pants.!!! That said, I am trying to avoid Camo... don't wanna look too wankerish walking around campus! Lol My workwear is also my daywear! (doesn't make sense for me to change while driving to a call!)

I appreciate the advice though!

Gunney, my apologies on the camo..I must have missed that detail. I do have another cost effective yet functional recommendation. Search for a tactical pant made by Propper. I have a pair of these that I wear for just working in my yard, getting firewood, or hiking. I don't know what your budget range is but I picked up a pair of the khaki color at my local sportsmen's warehouse for $29.99. They aren't double fronted on the knees and they breathe very nicely. In addition, they are made with a DuPont Teflon fabric so stains and liquids are easily repelled. Plus, they look very appealing. Good luck Gunney.

Gunney, my apologies on the camo..I must have missed that detail. I do have another cost effective yet functional recommendation. Search for a tactical pant made by Propper. I have a pair of these that I wear for just working in my yard, getting firewood, or hiking. I don't know what your budget range is but I picked up a pair of the khaki color at my local sportsmen's warehouse for $29.99. They aren't double fronted on the knees and they breathe very nicely. In addition, they are made with a DuPont Teflon fabric so stains and liquids are easily repelled. Plus, they look very appealing. Good luck Gunney.

Thanks again!

Thanks again!

Ordered 2 pairs of Khaki ones, from the same place I ordered last time lapg-- I kind of liked them, for the price, except for the shoddy sewing on the buttons.. and at 12 of them its a PITA!.

Only question: How much do you reckon it would cost to have a couple pieces of velcro sewn on by someone? Or would an iron on type work better? I am thinking about putting velcro on the cargo pockets, to both alleviate the sewing, and to make getting in and out of the pockets a little nicer. I am leaning towards iron because I doubt a seemstress would take on such a small job... atleast at a reasonable rate!!!

Gunney,

I have always found that sometimes the sewing will represent the price and vice versa for tactical pants such as these. You do have an excellent idea however! I can't imagine it costing more than ten bucks or so taking them to an alteration shop or the like and having them sew the velcro on. But this of course depends on your area, if your doing both pairs, and such. I am not sure how the iron on type would be, in terms of endurance, i.e., constant use, washing, etc. I have iron on patches on my flight suits and through the wear and tear, they have fallen off. Just do some recon and find out if a seamstress or alterations shop would do it for you and how much. Hope this helps!

Gunney,

I have always found that sometimes the sewing will represent the price and vice versa for tactical pants such as these. You do have an excellent idea however! I can't imagine it costing more than ten bucks or so taking them to an alteration shop or the like and having them sew the velcro on. But this of course depends on your area, if your doing both pairs, and such. I am not sure how the iron on type would be, in terms of endurance, i.e., constant use, washing, etc. I have iron on patches on my flight suits and through the wear and tear, they have fallen off. Just do some recon and find out if a seamstress or alterations shop would do it for you and how much. Hope this helps!

Thanks again! Ill just leave the iron on stuff alone then... I am a firm believer in doing something once! Not half-assed twice! Constant use and washing will prove to be very true. The water department loves me!

Top Bottom