What's new

WECK Hair Shaper used for shaving?

In the end there can be only one. (Side shaved at a time, that is...) If you're going to use the guard, you have to flip it over in order to get both sides of your face. My second favorite razor is the Sextoblade Model C (7 day set). You'll get some good shaves from the shaper as well!

Edit: I don't use a guard either. Haven't even gotten around to trying one...

Best,
Jerry

i stopped by sally's to buy the personna hair shaper blades to have them ready when the weck gets here. And i see that they have a few similar models there, oh well at least mine is vintage.

In the end there can be only one. (Side shaved at a time, that is...) If you're going to use the guard, you have to flip it over in order to get both sides of your face. My second favorite razor is the Sextoblade Model C (7 day set). You'll get some good shaves from the shaper as well!

It's a mild ergonomic challenge to shave one-sided, but not as bad as learning to shave with a shavette in the first place. I wouldn't mind scoring a second guard like mine to use on another Weck (or a whole second Weck set) so I could have one for each side but I don't mind shaving one-sided.

i stopped by sally's to buy the personna hair shaper blades to have them ready when the weck gets here. And i see that they have a few similar models there, oh well at least mine is vintage.

Yeah, they have Fromm hair shapers and possibly some other brands. Hair shapers and short Wecks don't have the same balance as full-length ones, and especially not like my Weck Medical with its all-stainless (including the scales) construction.

Did you see Fromm blades? When shaving without a guard I find them superior to Personna, which are too harsh without a guard. With my guard, Personna is just right and Fromm is a little lame.

Got it today, looks pretty good after i gave it a soak in warm soap and water.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Alright, just had my first shave with the Weck an hour ago. I took a bit extra since i've never used one, but the shave was great. A bit nervous at first and was trying to find the right angle. I can switch/use both hands when using a DE, but i couldn't with this thing. It will take some practice before i can do that, but it was great. No cuts/nicks/weepers.

I'll be using this one primarily for a while. so i can get the hang of it.

No difference whatsoever ... they take the same blades. It's the guard which is different: the Sextoblade doesn't cover the blade edge, the shaper one does. If you want to use the guard, clamp the teeth in a vice and just bend it over. That, or use it guardless, which is my preference.

Shapers tend to be a little smaller, the same size as the Bantam ... which became the Shaper, but I had a blue scaled example which was the same length as the Sextoblade, in fact identical in ever way to a red lucite scaled Sextoblade except for the words "Hair Shaper" on the blade holder.

Slow and steady, it'll become probably the best razor you have. Enjoy!
What did you mean when you said to bend the guard backwards to use as a straight guard on the shaper? I can't find any info on how to make a from shaper work as a straight With the guard for a noobie. thanks

What did you mean when you said to bend the guard backwards to use as a straight guard on the shaper?
Here's a really bad picture that will hopefully answer your question. The razor on the right is a stock Hair Shaper. Notice that the teeth curved over the blade edge. Now look at the razor in the left. I've bent the teeth flat (parallel to the blade), then bent it a little more so the teeth are pointing away from the blade.

Play with how much you bend the teeth away from the blade to dial in the shave feel you prefer.
proxy.php

Here's a really bad picture that will hopefully answer your question. The razor on the right is a stock Hair Shaper. Notice that the teeth curved over the blade edge. Now look at the razor in the left. I've bent the teeth flat (parallel to the blade), then bent it a little more so the teeth are pointing away from the blade.

Play with how much you bend the teeth away from the blade to dial in the shave feel you prefer.
proxy.php
Ok so does the teeth side of blade go between skin and blade? It's very hard to see from that pic. Thanks though!

Here’s another shot where you can clearly see both the blade and the teeth.

View attachment 982355
Since a am supposed to flatten out the bend in the teeth on a week hair shaper? I was asking because someone was nice enough to send me a sextoblade to try but I was thinking about the hair shaper from Sally's the Fromm brand and the teeth are wrong on it to shave with (the Fromm hair shaper)

I would just go guardless, I think having a decent blade makes the difference.
Personna Pathology - unless I am confused with Durham Duplex, or Ever Ready Hair blades.

I would just go guardless, I think having a decent blade makes the difference.
Personna Pathology - unless I am confused with Durham Duplex, or Ever Ready Hair blades.
I go guardless most of the time too. Shaves great.

The Personna pathology blade is for the Durham Duplex. The Weck uses Personna or Fromm Hair Shaper blades.

Top Bottom