What's new

Getting married

Congrats on the wedding. I like a traditional wedding tie - simple black (or blue) and white stripes, or something of that ilk.

Coordinating with a future in-law is also a good option, if possible.

Of course, wearing whatever she tells you to is always a good option.

Last edited:
here is an idea. Is either your or her father still around? Ask them to loan you a tie from their collection for the day. That might be a nice little family contribution, a bit like the "something old, something new..." thing the bride does.

brilliant!

Rimshot,

I can't emphasize this enough. I have been through my own and four other weddings from the inside. This is her day.

No matter what the bride says: Its still her wedding. Ask her, bug her about it. She deserves to get what she wants. If she really doesn't care, ask your mother or mother in law. Then ask Brooks Brothers.

If for some reason none of them can help you, get a solid red tie. It will go with everything, since she is accented with red. They are easy to find and you can get a quality tie that will go with your suit or other outfits after the wedding.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
On reflection, I think the "do whatever your bride wants" bit can be overdone.

Yes, it's "her day" and Yes you should be doing your best to make it a special day. But ... I'm guessing that part of "her day" being perfect is her perfect man being ... a perfect man. Not an indecisive milquetoast who can't even pick a decent tie on his own without fawning around after her asking her permission to wear a given tie ... or worse, unable to make a decision on his own and needing her to tell him what to wear.

She wants you to be a MAN and get the manly stuff "right" without being told or needing to ask permission.

IF she has designs on you wearing a tie that is "matchy-matchy" with her accent colour (God preserve us from the "matchy-matchy" couples and from women who want to take us "there"), you do so with a smile on your face.

Unless she gives you specific directions, she is expecting you to just "do the right thing" on your own. Normally, red is not a usual colour for formal occasion ties: stick with some combination of black, white, grey and silver, in solids or small and repeating patterns.

On reflection, I think the "do whatever your bride wants" bit can be overdone.

Yes, it's "her day" and Yes you should be doing your best to make it a special day. But ... I'm guessing that part of "her day" being perfect is her perfect man being ... a perfect man. Not an indecisive milquetoast who can't even pick a decent tie on his own without fawning around after her asking her permission to wear a given tie ... or worse, unable to make a decision on his own and needing her to tell him what to wear.

She wants you to be a MAN and get the manly stuff "right" without being told or needing to ask permission.

IF she has designs on you wearing a tie that is "matchy-matchy" with her accent colour (God preserve us from the "matchy-matchy" couples and from women who want to take us "there"), you do so with a smile on your face.

Unless she gives you specific directions, she is expecting you to just "do the right thing" on your own. Normally, red is not a usual colour for formal occasion ties: stick with some combination of black, white, grey and silver, in solids or small and repeating patterns.

Thank you for that. It may not be the response I wanted, but it most certainly is the response I needed.

See! This is why I come to you all with questions.

Top Bottom