What's new

Wedding suit & vest question

Long story short, my wedding is coming up next month and my bride to be asked me if I plan on wearing a vest. Yikes! I haven't even considered one. I know I will be taking off my jacket at the reception and wanted to know whether or not to get one, and if so where's a good place to get one?

My attire so far consists of a Brooks Brothers Madison suit in charcoal grey, Allen Edmonds Park Avenues in black, BB black belt and chacoal socks and a BB silk tie in silver.

If you're rocking a single breasted suit, I don't think fashion dictates that you wear a vest. However, if you were to opt for a single-breasted tux, a vest or a cumberbund is required.

Gentlemen, this is just my understanding...please correct me if I am mistaken.

You are wearing a charcoal grey suit, and this is, for all purposes, a formal event. Unless BB can provide you a vest in the IDENTICAL material as your suit, then go without the vest, and do NOT remove your jacket.

You are wearing a charcoal grey suit, and this is, for all purposes, a formal event. Unless BB can provide you a vest in the IDENTICAL material as your suit, then go without the vest, and do NOT remove your jacket.

Yes, I'd agree completely. Although I'm puzzled as to your original statement - that you will be removing your jacket, given as fact. Is there a specific reason why? I'd never remove my jacket. I did it once at a friends' wedding (it was a hot humid afternoon in July) and realized immediately that it was a mistake. I'm also not sure that removing your jacket with a vest on underneath is any different from not wearing one and simply being in shirt sleeves - you are still sans jacket, looking a little bit like either a river boat gambler (or a faro dealer) and still undressed. If something at the wedding requires less formal attire, as in ??what?? I'm not sure, perhaps a complete change of attire should be brought along. After all, it is your wedding and you should be able to set the fashion statement or "dress of the day". Well, at least for the guys! Best of luck and congratulations on your wedding, surely one of a mans' happiest days.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The easy solution is, keep your suit jacket on. :001_tt2:

I gee-run-dam-tee that you will look sharper if you keep the jacket on rather than take it off, by which time no doubt your shirttails will have come halfway out of your pants and you will look all poofy down near the 'quator. Just keep the jacket on.

That said, if you are bound and determined to take the jacket off, then wearing a vest is preferable to not. Unless (highly doubtful) BB can provide you with an absolutely identical-fabric vest ... each dye-lot of fabric can be unique, so just saying "give me charcoal" won't do; you must line the fabrics up in daylight side by side ... you need to find something "different from" the suit so at least it's clear that you are not trying to cobble together a 3-piece suit. Dove grey is, IIRC, one of the standby accepted colours in this situation.

Thanks for the responses guys! After putting some thought into it, as well as heeding your sage advice, I will be leaving my jacket on during the reception.

leaving your jacket on in Aug in GA you're a better man than most! I see no reason NOT to remove your jacket once all the silly reception events are out of the way and the dancing and drinking starts.

leaving your jacket on in Aug in GA you're a better man than most! I see no reason NOT to remove your jacket once all the silly reception events are out of the way and the dancing and drinking starts.

Thanks, but the wedding and reception will up in Michigan where I'm originally from :001_smile

If you're rocking a single breasted suit, I don't think fashion dictates that you wear a vest. However, if you were to opt for a single-breasted tux, a vest or a cumberbund is required.

Gentlemen, this is just my understanding...please correct me if I am mistaken.

You are correct, and this is so to me despite the fact that Daniel Craig in the last James Bond movie wore neither! Ian Fleming's James Bond would not have done that.

With a tux, the "vest" should really be one of those waistcoats designed to wear with a tux, which is to say cut very low in the front with with series of close together buttons coming up from the bottom. Such waistcoats are also often completely open in back, thanks to the forward thinking of the Duke of Windsor. Not a suit vest that has more widely spaced buttons coming up the front and which covers quite a bit of the chest. You see that latter type of vest with tuxs these days sometimes, but I would not consider them "appropriate."

There is no "rule of dress" whatsoever that I have ever heard of that would require a vest with a regular suit.

I like what the groom plans on wearing, a lot!

I like what the groom plans on wearing, a lot!

Thank you! I bought everything seperately and when it was on-sale, so I saved a lot of money while allowing me purchase pieces that were versatile and high quality.

The wedding really gave me the perfect excuse to buy a BB suit :wink2:

Thank you! I bought everything seperately and when it was on-sale, so I saved a lot of money while allowing me purchase pieces that were versatile and high quality.

The wedding really gave me the perfect excuse to buy a BB suit :wink2:

Very cool! I like the way you think, and warmest congratulations re your wedding! Lucky girl!

Weddings where the groom isn't wearing a tux often conform to the "Morning Dress" standard. See the father-of-the-bride in the royal wedding, or what most of the men of the royal wedding wore to the reception.

Basics: Solid jacket, pinstripe pants, light grey (or tan!) waistcoat. A classic and fetching look, in my opinion.

Also, congratulations on the wedding, it'll be good to have another B&Ber in Michigan (even if only for awhile :p).

I would only remove my jacket for dancing and that stuff only if you have on a vest, as in a tux or 3 pc suit. Wearing just a shirt and tie will make you look like the guests. You only get married once... or in my cousins case, 3 times...

Being from the South, and this time of year my take is if reception is indoors leave jacket on. If outdoors by all means take it off, everyone else will be doing the same or will probably follow your lead!!

Top Bottom