What's new

Getting married

So I'm tying the knot at the end of May.

I'm 46 years old, 6'1", 265 lbs, 42/44 waist, 52L

I'm having a suit made through Brooks Bros and just picked up my first pair of Allen Edmonds, the Park Avenues (in a 10.5 EEEE, yikes! even my feet are fat!)

The suit is a mid-grey herringbone and the bride-to-be will be accented in red. Any suggestions for a tie? (links would be great!).

You should know that I'm color-blind, which is why I'm counting on you all.

Congratulations on getting married. Marrying my wife was the best decision I ever made.

Having three daughters and a son tying the knot, as well as my own, I can only give you one piece of advice on this. To guys weddings are big events we prepare for when we know we going to do it. But weddings to a woman is something they prepare for their whole life. So ask her which ties and colors she likes. That's the best way. I have found women generally have good taste in men's ties. Also ask where you bought your suit, they usually will suggest something good.

As far as ties go. Get a tie made of 100% silk. Silk looks, knots and fit the best. I'm sure the guys here know good places to buy good ties. But don't go for any type of novelty tie, like Bugs Bunny or Superman on it. I'd even avoid symbols, like crosses or angels on it. Just look for quality materials, your bride to be thoughts about it, and you'll be fine.

Last edited:
Since you are color blind, figure out what color shirt you are wearing and then let either your bride or a salesman at Brooks do the picking with the suit or a sample of the fabric in hand.

First, congratulations on your upcoming nuptials. A nice, solid red tie that matches your future bride's accented accessories would be a nice touch.

Congrats on getting married.

Let her pick the tie. As an earlier poster said, this is the biggest day of her life.

Also, good practice for future decision making!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding.

I'm surprised she's even giving you a choice!

I've seen a lot of grooms wearing white ties recently. I did in mine.

Idea,,,, $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395350002.056778.jpg

Since you are color blind, figure out what color shirt you are wearing and then let either your bride or a salesman at Brooks do the picking with the suit or a sample of the fabric in hand.

+1 on this one.. I've had great experiences with Brooks and their advise. Sold me as a customer.

First, congratulations on your upcoming nuptials. A nice, solid red tie that matches your future bride's accented accessories would be a nice touch.

This was my first thought but didn't know if a solid red tie for a wedding was acceptable.

Congratulations from me too.

I am close to you in age, and getting married in early June. Colourblind too! Still have to shop for a suit, so you are a step ahead of me.

Given what you said in your last post, I would definitely agree with the advice to ask the salesperson. This is what they do, and they can likely give you a few great options to choose from.

I would mention the accent colour she has chosen, and if possible take a swatch of it with you. I wouldn't be too stuck on matching her choice though. Just make sure you look fabulous!

Legion

Staff member
Here is an idea. Is either your or her father still around? Ask them to loan you a tie from their collection for the day. That might be a nice little family contribution, a bit like the "something old, something new..." thing the bride does.

Top Bottom