What's new

Noxema, I Think I Love You.

If you're using the Noxzema every day, probably like your mother did, and you're getting small drops of water in the jar but covering it, then it softens noticeably. (This without glycerin.)

When I open a new jar I usually return the lid daily. But as I get water in it - I'm doing this in the morning shower - I start using the lid and storage position as a control mechanism for the cream. When it's too soft for me I store the jar upside down on my wire rack with the lid off until the next morning. After a while it becomes subconscious.

The only caveat is that if you let a jar dry out and get crunchy I find it impossible to rehydrate properly. It's a goner.

This makes sense. If it was too "runny" in the first place and then water slowly got added to the container from using it, it might reach a consistency in the jar that folks wouldn't like.

It does dissipate/melt/soften/whatever really quickly upon contact with water. I thought perhaps it would gunk up my razor but it never has. In fact, it seems to leave less residue on the blade than any of the other creams/sticks I've been using. Due to our water here, I have to take my razor apart after every shave and throughly rinse and dry both the razor and especially the blade. Usually when I remove the blade right after shaving, it has a slight white film on it. When I take it apart after using the Noxzema, it's still shiny.

This supports my hypothesis (based not on personal experience, just what I've read here in this thread, so honestly not worth much) that the Noxzema layer prevents the lather from reaching the skin or really doing anything, and you're actually shaving with Noxzema.

I shaved with a Mach 3 and nothing but Noxzema for I don't know how many years. I never had trouble with carts the way some guys do. But since discovering that a ten cent blade can be as smooth and comfy as a $3.50 cartridge I'm on board big time.

This supports my hypothesis (based not on personal experience, just what I've read here in this thread, so honestly not worth much) that the Noxzema layer prevents the lather from reaching the skin or really doing anything, and you're actually shaving with Noxzema.
Hmmmm....not sure....I know when I apply my soap over the Noxzema, I'm pretty sure the two get mixed together fairly well. I probably lather for a good couple minutes, exfoliating my face...perhaps the two (soap and Noxzema) blend to form the slick experience most are having..??? I don't doubt a great shave with only the Noxzema, just wondering about the two blending. Just a thought....

I don't consciously try to use Noxema or its equivalent sparingly but I don't slather it on either. I wet my face, put a little Noxema on my fingertips and rub it in like I would a lotion. If you were to look at my face once it's applied, it would just look like my face was wet, perhaps slightly milky in some spots where it's not rubbed in thoroughly. Some here may not think that that would be enough of the product but I would disagree. If I were to apply it as described above and then rinsed off my face, I can see little oil slicks running into the drain. It's the oils and the skin-soothing elements of Noxema which make it such a desirable pre-shave product. Applied as described above, it's too thin to act as a barrier to any of the elements of the shave cream. I think it acts as an addition to the elements of the cream.

I don't consciously try to use Noxema or its equivalent sparingly but I don't slather it on either. I wet my face, put a little Noxema on my fingertips and rub it in like I would a lotion. If you were to look at my face once it's applied, it would just look like my face was wet, perhaps slightly milky in some spots where it's not rubbed in thoroughly. Some here may not think that that would be enough of the product but I would disagree. If I were to apply it as described above and then rinsed off my face, I can see little oil slicks running into the drain. It's the oils and the skin-soothing elements of Noxema which make it such a desirable pre-shave product. Applied as described above, it's too thin to act as a barrier to any of the elements of the shave cream. I think it acts as an addition to the elements of the cream.

Excellent Description of how best to apply the Noxzema. A little goes a long way. "Less is More"

I was using much more than this. I may try this tomorrow and see how I like it.

Thanks for this advice. I decided to go with the Noxzema "light glaze" rather than my usual rather liberal application. Same great shave, less product, less time. Worked great!

Well after reading this thread form start to finish I decided to give the Noxzema a go. I really didn't find the scent too over powering and still was able to pick up the scent of the AOS sandalwood cream I used. All in all i think it helped some. I did a 3 pass shave with a few touch ups while applying Noxzema between passes. I really noticed a difference on my face but not so much on my neck. I am not sure I applied it just right so I will give it the rest of the week before I make my final decision. Maybe I had to much or too little.or maybe too much water. I will experiment with a different viscosity each day and see if I can find just the right combination.

I can notice a hint of the scent still but is seems to be really working for me. I finished off with unscented W/H and then original Clubman and everything seems to be working well together. Clubman is my daily AS so I will be enjoying this aroma the rest of the week.

I've experimented with the Straight Noxzema Cream and have come to the conclusion that like many other variables in shaving, some things work together and some combos don't work quite as well.

Using Noxzema only, I've found I get the best shaves using my Merkur 1904 safety bar. I tried the Little Bastone open comb yesterday and it did okay, but even a light glaze of Noxzema quickly gunked up the comb teeth, I had to rinse the razor a lot more and didn't get quite as good a shave as with the 1904.

I used my Merkur slant today and found the Noxzema didn't seem as slick as it did with the other razors. I got a good shave, but it took a lot longer since the "glide" wasn't as good as the days before and I had to slow things down.

So, I don't know. I applied the Noxzema in the same manner/quantity/water ratio each day, at least it seemed the same to me. If there was any variance in my application, it would have been so slight that duplicating the same mixture on a daily basis would be impossible to determine.

I'm wondering if maybe the mild Merkur slant bar traps more water between the bar and blade when I rinse it and then kind of "carries" the water to my face, resulting in a more thinned-down mixture of the Noxzema when the razor is applied to my face?

I used the same blades, first-time-use Astra SP's in all 3 razors.

There wasn't a huge difference in the quality of the shaves. The biggest difference was between the "glide" of the 1904 and the Slant. The open-comb had a good glide, but I think maybe the shave suffered because even the thin layer of Noxzema clung to the teeth like glue.

I experimented with Noxzema (Classic Clean Original Deep Cleansing Cream) for the first time during my shave.

I started by using it as a pre shave cream in the shower 2x's.

Post shower, I hydrated my face and neck and applied a very thin coat of Noxzema with my fingertips creating a skim milk like coating on the areas I wanted to shave. I proceeded to lather my VDH Scented Luxury Soap on the puck in the mug with my Semogue 830 Boar Brush. I lathered over the thin layer of Noxema.

I repeated the hydration and thin layer of Noxzema for each of my three passes.

I achieved a BBS shave result and it was in the top tier of shave results I have had since I started this wet shaving journey. My hope is that this is the missing piece to consistent great shave results.

I’ll provide updates in my posted journal.

Last edited:
Awhile back on a whim, I grabbed a $5 Burma Shave brush I saw on the shelf at the grocery store. I've been using it to apply my Noxzema. It works quite well. I use Noxzema only: no shaving cream on top of it.

It's endlessly interesting how YMMV plays in so many ways.
I am a fan of the proraso pre-shave, and I read all the laudatory views on B&B that Noxzema was every bit as good, or perhaps even better, at a fraction of the price. So I started building that urge to buy that we all succumb to (dilating pupils, salivation etc.etc.). :001_cool:

I came across it in a drugstore and of course first thing I had to smell it. WOW - I couldn't believe how terrible it smelled. The initial wave is very pleasant, like Proraso, but it's followed by what I can only define as a tar-like scent underneath that I simply couldn't take. I felt slightly queasy actually, and had to close it up immediately.
OK, I perhaps found the wrong one. Or I was in a bad mood. Time to walk away, take a deep breath, and revisit later.
So I came across it at another place, and tried again. Exactly the same. I will never use this stuff with a smell like that.
Yet I am a fan of Arko and find it clean, uncomplicated and somehow exotic. And I cannot understand how *most* people here immediately reject it on smell, especially since it's a really great lathering soap.
And no doubt Noxzema fans reading this are thinking the same about me.
As we all say, YMMV. To each his own. etc.etc.

I will never use this stuff with a smell like that.
Yet I am a fan of Arko and find it clean, uncomplicated and somehow exotic. And I cannot understand how *most* people here immediately reject it on smell, especially since it's a really great lathering soap.

Frankly Noxzema smells like my grandmother's bathroom. But it doesn't stick on you like cologne. It's overpowered as soon as I start to lather a soap on top.

While it may not be the most appealing scent... I just don't seem to mind it all that much... just like the witch hazel that used to repel me...I actually kind of like it now...go figure.

I've experimented with the Straight Noxzema Cream and have come to the conclusion that like many other variables in shaving, some things work together and some combos don't work quite as well.

Using Noxzema only, I've found I get the best shaves using my Merkur 1904 safety bar. I tried the Little Bastone open comb yesterday and it did okay, but even a light glaze of Noxzema quickly gunked up the comb teeth, I had to rinse the razor a lot more and didn't get quite as good a shave as with the 1904.

I used my Merkur slant today and found the Noxzema didn't seem as slick as it did with the other razors. I got a good shave, but it took a lot longer since the "glide" wasn't as good as the days before and I had to slow things down.

So, I don't know. I applied the Noxzema in the same manner/quantity/water ratio each day, at least it seemed the same to me. If there was any variance in my application, it would have been so slight that duplicating the same mixture on a daily basis would be impossible to determine.

I'm wondering if maybe the mild Merkur slant bar traps more water between the bar and blade when I rinse it and then kind of "carries" the water to my face, resulting in a more thinned-down mixture of the Noxzema when the razor is applied to my face?

I used the same blades, first-time-use Astra SP's in all 3 razors.

There wasn't a huge difference in the quality of the shaves. The biggest difference was between the "glide" of the 1904 and the Slant. The open-comb had a good glide, but I think maybe the shave suffered because even the thin layer of Noxzema clung to the teeth like glue.

Different razors exist because they work better for some than others. If you get the desired results with the 1904, I'd go with that one.

I just picked up 2 jars of the Noxzema Classic since my Proraso is running low.
2 oz jar of Noxzema $1.65 vs 3 oz Proraso at $13.00 .........hum......new addition to the routine.
I do like the stronger scent of the Proraso, but not the price.
Good Product...available at the grocery store, no shipping charge ++

Wow! The grocery? That's pretty good. Usually have to go somewhere with a decent women's cosmetic section here. Either a drug store or a Walmart.

It's endlessly interesting how YMMV plays in so many ways.
I am a fan of the proraso pre-shave, and I read all the laudatory views on B&B that Noxzema was every bit as good, or perhaps even better, at a fraction of the price. So I started building that urge to buy that we all succumb to (dilating pupils, salivation etc.etc.). :001_cool:

I came across it in a drugstore and of course first thing I had to smell it. WOW - I couldn't believe how terrible it smelled. The initial wave is very pleasant, like Proraso, but it's followed by what I can only define as a tar-like scent underneath that I simply couldn't take. I felt slightly queasy actually, and had to close it up immediately.
OK, I perhaps found the wrong one. Or I was in a bad mood. Time to walk away, take a deep breath, and revisit later.
So I came across it at another place, and tried again. Exactly the same. I will never use this stuff with a smell like that.

Since becoming a Noxzema disciple I've discovered African Black Shaving Soap. I use it as a pre-shave lubricant just like Noxzema. It doesn't have the strong eucalyptus smell and provides a wonderful smooth glide plane for a razor. I've read some B&B members are finding it on clearance at their local Walmarts for 2.00. If your fortunate enough to find it at that price buy it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom