What's new

Noxema, I Think I Love You.

SWMBO was giving me a hard time because I'm usually the one choosing generic or off-brand products, but when I learned she was planning on going to Target the other day and said she'd pick me up a tub, I insisted on "name brand Noxzema" and "not the store brand stuff."

This morning I tried another approach with the Noxzema that didn't work out so well.

I had a hankering to use an Arko stick today so I used the Noxzema as kind of a facial cleanser/pre-shave in the shower, rinsing it off thoroughly just before I got out.

I noticed that once I had rinsed it off my face in the shower, my face had a waxy feel to it. I left my face wet until I did the usual Arko application with face-lathering and could feel that waxy, kind of "grabbing" sensation when rubbing the stick over my face.

I usually get a really good shave with Arko, but this morning's wasn't quite as good, so I don't think I'll try this again. I found it unusual because I've heard a lot of you guys mention using Noxzema as a pre-shave but then rinsing it off before applying lather. At no point after rinsing off the Noxzema in the shower did I left my face get dry before I hit it with the Arko stick.

Now, applying the Noxzema post-shower, leaving it on the face and then going right over the top of it with my Proraso lather? I'm digging that and had a great shave yesterday with that approach. I think it will be back to the Noxzema/Proraso combo tomorrow morning and when I get a hankering to shave with Arko, I'll skip using the Noxzema before doing so.

Today I massaged noxzema into my face then lit it sit there while I loaded my brush for about a minute. Then I rinsed it off, put on pre shave oil and built my lather in a scuttle. Very comfortable shave.

I posted earlier that many years ago Noxzema made a brushless shave cream in a tube. It's been a long time since I've used it, but I think the deep cleansing cream is very similar.

Absolutely. There was both a brushless and a lather version; long gone now.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

But the original cleansing cream will always have a place on my shelf. :thumbup1:

proxy.php

I picked up some Noxema last week and didn't really notice anything different. Although, it was not a total bust because this stuff is actually a really nice facial cleanser and super cheap @ $3.xx.

Has anybody had any problems with this clogging up their sink trap? I've noticed when it interacts with water it leaves what almost looks like a greasy film. I've been making it a point to run a generous amount of hot water down the drain as the final part of my sink cleanup since I started using it.

I read this a week ago and went out and bought a tub right away. I rinsed out my small Proaso jar and spooned in the Noxema then added glycerin until it was thinned out to easily spread.

I've been using it all week to give it a fair shot as a pre shave and in between passes. Must say this is a game changer! Closer shaves, more comfy and I've also noticed that it eliminates any burn from the aftershave. I guess this is good as it proves there's less irritation. I kinda like the burn tho, wakes me up.

Has anybody had any problems with this clogging up their sink trap? I've noticed when it interacts with water it leaves what almost looks like a greasy film. I've been making it a point to run a generous amount of hot water down the drain as the final part of my sink cleanup since I started using it.

Thanks for the heads up. The drains in my house clog easily. I love Barbasol Brushless but if I use it often I end up needing a plumber.

For those who don't like the smell of Noxema (or the tingle).......I use Kiss My Face shave cream as a pre shave just like the OP uses the Noxema, then lather in a bowl and paint on. Works wonders, slick,slick,slick, and smells great too.

I tried that, but KMF started lathering the moment I tried to apply it to my face. It ended up just being more lather. How do you avoid making it lather?

Noxzema Experiment: Phase Three. Tonight, with a day and a half growth, I decided to try using the Noxzema as a stand-alone brushless shaving cream. I wet my face for each pass then applied enough Noxzema to form a decent but not-too-thick layer on my face. I was quite impressed with the results: an outstanding and irritation-free shave every bit as easy and as good as when I used Proraso Green Cream over the top of the Noxzema.

Aside from enjoying the smell of Proraso Green so much, I'm now wondering if it's worth the extra time and trouble to whip up a bowl of it. If nothing else, it's nice to know that if I'm in a pinch for time, I can just slap on some Noxzema and go to town. It's even faster than using a stick.

Noxzema Experiment: Phase Three. Tonight, with a day and a half growth, I decided to try using the Noxzema as a stand-alone brushless shaving cream. I wet my face for each pass then applied enough Noxzema to form a decent but not-too-thick layer on my face. I was quite impressed with the results: an outstanding and irritation-free shave every bit as easy and as good as when I used Proraso Green Cream over the top of the Noxzema.

Aside from enjoying the smell of Proraso Green so much, I'm now wondering if it's worth the extra time and trouble to whip up a bowl of it. If nothing else, it's nice to know that if I'm in a pinch for time, I can just slap on some Noxzema and go to town. It's even faster than using a stick.

That's for the post: The Noxzema is the great equalizer.

Since reading this thread, I've purchased and have tried it several times. I can't say it's bad but I don't notice a big difference, so not sure it is worth it to me. BUT, this morning in the shower I was looking at the container. I thought wow that could be repurposed for another shaving soap puck or grind to fit. So I wondered how easy or difficult the Noxema label would come off. Well it was quite easily removed without leaving any gummy glue residue. Yay now I have a nice plastic container, when empty, for storing other shaving soaps.

Btw, is the Noxema cream pretty firm? Mine even had kind of a top crust layer on top. I remember using some as a HS freshman to remove lipstick, no no no not what your thinking! It was a traditional hazing by the upper classmen to write on freshmen faces with lipstick. Anyway, as I remember I used some of my mother's Noxema to remove it. And I recall it being very creamy and soft, unlike my current container is. Maybe it was an old item from walmart or just the very dry very low humidity we have here in Colorado.

I've been using pure coconut oil as a pre-shave for awhile now with very good results, but I'll have to give the Noxema a try. Thanks for sharing your insight on this.

Eric

Since reading this thread, I've purchased and have tried it several times. I can't say it's bad but I don't notice a big difference, so not sure it is worth it to me. BUT, this morning in the shower I was looking at the container. I thought wow that could be repurposed for another shaving soap puck or grind to fit. So I wondered how easy or difficult the Noxema label would come off. Well it was quite easily removed without leaving any gummy glue residue. Yay now I have a nice plastic container, when empty, for storing other shaving soaps.

Btw, is the Noxema cream pretty firm? Mine even had kind of a top crust layer on top. I remember using some as a HS freshman to remove lipstick, no no no not what your thinking! It was a traditional hazing by the upper classmen to write on freshmen faces with lipstick. Anyway, as I remember I used some of my mother's Noxema to remove it. And I recall it being very creamy and soft, unlike my current container is. Maybe it was an old item from walmart or just the very dry very low humidity we have here in Colorado.

Mine is thick like you're describing too with a crust on top.

My container was the same way. I hadn't seen any of the stuff for probably 40 years and remembered it being softer, but don't really know if it was or not. I found that if I kind of dug into mine with my fingers, I would pull out large chunks of it. They dissolved quickly when rubbed on my wet face so no big deal, but I've found that's the only efficient way to get the stuff on your face. If I just rubbed wet fingers on it, it took forever to get enough of the stuff applied to shave with.

When my jar gets about half-empty, I'm going to try adding some glycerine to it as others noted earlier in this thread and working it into a smoother substance.

My container was the same way. I hadn't seen any of the stuff for probably 40 years and remembered it being softer, but don't really know if it was or not. I found that if I kind of dug into mine with my fingers, I would pull out large chunks of it. They dissolved quickly when rubbed on my wet face so no big deal, but I've found that's the only efficient way to get the stuff on your face. If I just rubbed wet fingers on it, it took forever to get enough of the stuff applied to shave with.

When my jar gets about half-empty, I'm going to try adding some glycerine to it as others noted earlier in this thread and working it into a smoother substance.
That's exactly how I do it...dig a small chunk out, rub my hands together a few times, and apply it on a wet face. The residual water thins it out pretty well; never had an issue with it being too thick.

Btw, is the Noxema cream pretty firm? Mine even had kind of a top crust layer on top.

If you're using the Noxzema every day, probably like your mother did, and you're getting small drops of water in the jar but covering it, then it softens noticeably. (This without glycerin.)

When I open a new jar I usually return the lid daily. But as I get water in it - I'm doing this in the morning shower - I start using the lid and storage position as a control mechanism for the cream. When it's too soft for me I store the jar upside down on my wire rack with the lid off until the next morning. After a while it becomes subconscious.

The only caveat is that if you let a jar dry out and get crunchy I find it impossible to rehydrate properly. It's a goner.

Last edited:

This supports my hypothesis (based not on personal experience, just what I've read here in this thread, so honestly not worth much) that the Noxzema layer prevents the lather from reaching the skin or really doing anything, and you're actually shaving with Noxzema.

This supports my hypothesis (based not on personal experience, just what I've read here in this thread, so honestly not worth much) that the Noxzema layer prevents the lather from reaching the skin or really doing anything, and you're actually shaving with Noxzema.

It's hard to say, but I see your point. I've been using my hands to rub the Noxzema on my face but it's hard to describe how much of a layer I've been putting down. It's certainly thin enough to see through. When I apply Proraso, I paint it on with an Omega Pro 49 brush which is very long, floppy and soft. It's hard to say with any certainty how much the Noxzema and Proraso mix together when I do this but I would guess "not much."

At least with my technique when I use Proraso on top, I would say at the base skin/hair/blade level, it's all Noxzema and the Proraso on top just provides some added fragrance and the psychological effect of seeing the nice white lather on your face that you're used to.

Last edited:
Top Bottom