What's new

Got an Ever Ready 1924

I bought an Ever Ready 1924 off Etsy last week. The razor arrived yesterday, and I have to say, it's in really good condition -- a very nice little razor. The plating is nearly perfect, and it looks like it was hardly used at all. The razor had an "Ever Ready" blade loaded in it. It came in an Ever Ready clamshell box with a blade bank. The blade bank has a double-edge blade marked "Barbasol" in it, seems pretty old.

I looked around the various drug stores and dollar stores in my area, and no one carries single edge blades. So I've ordered a couple of packs from Walgreens (GEM blades). Once those arrive, I'll give the razor a swing. Looking forward to it!

$ever_ready.jpg $ever_ready2.jpg

Ha--wasn't that on ebay, not etsy? Looks like the one that I forgot to bid on. 1924's are nice--you'll like it. If you don't, you know where I'm at. (Actually, good luck with it)

Nice painting of Cranmer in your avatar as well...

Thanks! That probably provides a substantial clue about where I'm a deacon. :biggrin1:

I'll write here once I get the blades and give it a try or two. Do you guys find that you prefer different soaps/creams when using a SE vs a DE? My current faves are Palmolive and Speick shave sticks (grated into pucks). I also use Cade shave soap, and QCS, RSC Moisturising, and AoS lavender shave creams.

I also have Mystic Water Windjammer (Old Spice) and AoS Sandalwood, but I haven't really dialed those in yet.

Kool set. If I am not mistaken those 1924 Razors with that style head are referred as the Shovel Head, From what I understand the are more aggressive thenthe 1914 or 1912 heads.

Thanks for the pics :eek:)

Thanks! That probably provides a substantial clue about where I'm a deacon. :biggrin1:

I'll write here once I get the blades and give it a try or two. Do you guys find that you prefer different soaps/creams when using a SE vs a DE? My current faves are Palmolive and Speick shave sticks (grated into pucks). I also use Cade shave soap, and QCS, RSC Moisturising, and AoS lavender shave creams.

I also have Mystic Water Windjammer (Old Spice) and AoS Sandalwood, but I haven't really dialed those in yet.

Yep, that gave me a hint alright--well kind of, I can think of two possibilities actually. Anyway, I use the same soaps and creams no matter what.

Kool set. If I am not mistaken those 1924 Razors with that style head are referred as the Shovel Head, From what I understand the are more aggressive thenthe 1914 or 1912 heads.

Thanks for the pics :eek:)

I haven't used my new 1924 enough to say when compared to the other two, but I was surprised at the uber-BBS shave I got the first time I used a 1924. I think the design, looks-wise, is the best of the three as well (although the 100th anniversary of the 1914 will be here soon enough).

So I received the GEM SS blades from Walgreens this past Monday. I've shaved with the Ever Ready 1924 twice now. It is really a great razor, it provides a lot more feedback than any of my DE razors. I'm still getting used to it, but both shaves were great. Definitely a keeper!

Great score, nice photo, and good shave report. I just got my first SE (Gem featherweight) and can't wait to try it tomorrow morning.

So I received the GEM SS blades from Walgreens this past Monday. I've shaved with the Ever Ready 1924 twice now. It is really a great razor, it provides a lot more feedback than any of my DE razors. I'm still getting used to it, but both shaves were great. Definitely a keeper!

Glad you are enjoying it. I like mine as well.

First of all- WHAT A GREAT SET Deacon Frank!!
As for the 1924 in general I was longing myself to try one out. Got one eventually from a great member here. The verdict?
Well after four shaves I have found that I nick myself a lot of times (got to be careful- ouch)- but more importantly- my normal 12h lasting shaves from a SE- well- they are not there.
The angle seems odd somehow.

I think I am going back into the cave with my other SEs if no furher tips show up.
Still- I like the looks of them 1924s A LOT.

Top Bottom