What's new

I have noticed on eBay the prices of vintage GEM and Ever Ready SE razors are increasing. Are they still worth purchasing?

I only use SE vintage razors, particularly the 1924 ER Shovel head.

I have used many GEMS and Ever Ready’s.

All provide smooth, comfortable shaves with various efficiency ranges and are easy to use (IMHO).

I started off purchasing lower quality vintage razors to see if I liked them. Once I realized I liked them, I then purchased better quality versions.

I began wet shaving about 2 years ago. Back then Shovel heads, depending on quality ranged $7 to about $20 with and without the cases, not including shipping.

Today on eBay depending on quality, Shovel heads with or without the cases, averaged about $20 to $60. Some are higher priced.

Are those fair prices in today’s marketplace? Think about the vintage razor type you enjoy.

What would you say are fair prices today, for your favorite GEM, Ever Ready or other types of SE vintage razors? With or without a case?

Have a good next shave 🪒.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Here in the UK the Ever Ready is commonly found. Typically an unboxed 1912 would sell for £5 while a one in an unusual case might fetch £20. An nice condition uncased Ever Ready Chromium Razor might fetch £40, while in a Jewel case it could reach £80, or even higher depending on the exact model. To my mind the 1912 seems a real bargain with the Jewel a bit overpriced; that said, I have a Jewel and I love it.

Here in the UK the Ever Ready is commonly found. Typically an unboxed 1912 would sell for £5 while a one in an unusual case might fetch £20. A nice condition uncased Ever Ready Chromium Razor might fetch £40, while in a Jewel case it could reach £80, or even higher depending on the exact model. To my mind the 1912 seems a real bargain with the Jewel a bit overpriced; that said, I have a Jewel and I love it.
Are GEMS and Ever Ready’s popular and widely used and enjoyed in the UK?

Thank you for your response. Have a good shave.

Think some sellers once-bay are unrealistic, or looking for a FISH to hook with high prices. Love sellers who say make offer, you make offer, they never comeback to you with counter offer.
That has happened to me a few times. Frustrating. Maybe the seller’s knowledge is very limited. Maybe they think vintage. They think. Maybe I can charge more. Maybe some sellers don’t understand the true value of what they have?

EclipseRedRing

Are GEMS and Ever Ready’s popular and widely used and enjoyed in the UK?

Thank you for your response. Have a good shave.
I would say GEM and Ever Ready usage in the UK is far less than DE usage, which in itself is not common. Sadly I do not personally know anyone who uses anything other than disposable razors. I have only one Ever Ready and here it is.

1679035985349.png

I have a small collection of vintage GEMs. ERs are widely available over here but Micromatics are less common. Cased Ambassadors can go for as low as £40 but I've seen them go for $200+ in the states. Think I paid £30 for a NOS ER Natural Angle and maybe the same for my golden De-luxe version.

Think some sellers once-bay are unrealistic, or looking for a FISH to hook with high prices. Love sellers who say make offer, you make offer, they never comeback to you with counter offer.
You say that but a few weeks back a guy had a stream liner set in its case just missing the strop for £25 inc post decent condition too. He had it on twice and no bids

I only use SE vintage razors, particularly the 1924 ER Shovel head.

I have used many GEMS and Ever Ready’s.

All provide smooth, comfortable shaves with various efficiency ranges and are easy to use (IMHO).

I started off purchasing lower quality vintage razors to see if I liked them. Once I realized I liked them, I then purchased better quality versions.

I began wet shaving about 2 years ago. Back then Shovel heads, depending on quality ranged $7 to about $20 with and without the cases, not including shipping.

Today on eBay depending on quality, Shovel heads with or without the cases, averaged about $20 to $60. Some are higher priced.

Are those fair prices in today’s marketplace? Think about the vintage razor type you enjoy.

What would you say are fair prices today, for your favorite GEM, Ever Ready or other types of SE vintage razors? With or without a case?

Have a good next shave 🪒.
Facebook Marketplace is a place to occasionally find buys: a few months ago I bought a GEM G-bar in fantastic condition for $5 plus $4 shipping.

+1

unrealistic? I would say they have a small idea that if they word it right some clown might pay up? but I love the no ideas, just because there is a blade wrapper in the box doesn't mean the razor is that brand!
To me make an offer is the same as ONO [or near offer] which I say is less than I'm asking but if you are close enough, ok. To others it is what's your silly price offer above and beyond my asking price? Yes on occasion if I think I want it and the price is low I ''may'' offer a little more just to sway their mind to accept it.

That has happened to me a few times. Frustrating. Maybe the seller’s knowledge is very limited. Maybe they think vintage. They think. Maybe I can charge more. Maybe some sellers don’t understand the true value of what they have?
Some sellers, definately don't understand the values, shagged items that are literally shagged just because you are not into the scene and not seen one before, does not mean they are rare like a Toyota in Japan rare.

There was a laughable one[gem?] dug up by a metal detectorist that was not even worth scrap brass value it was so shagged, yet it was allegedly worth lots of Dinars.
I would say GEM and Ever Ready usage in the UK is far less than DE usage, which in itself is not common. Sadly I do not personally know anyone who uses anything other than disposable razors. I have only one Ever Ready and here it is.

View attachment 1652417

Is this one the 'Jewel' handle? memory is failing on some of the model names.
You say that but a few weeks back a guy had a stream liner set in its case just missing the strop for £25 inc post decent condition too. He had it on twice and no bids
It's odd isn't it, some ugly ones get the bids, some nice ones attract no bid. Currently there is a nice complete 'jewel' set up for sale, no bids, razor stropper instructions and outer box. I think sometimes search tags categories etc listing in obscure category means they are missed and not sold.
My hard part is the exchange rate, I must double the GBP so a price in GBP doubled becomes not so attractive to me.

I collect playing cards on and off, probably more off than on lately, but came by an Ever Ready Christmas set that had been in a cupboard for years, took a punt, then after wondered if there were actually 52 cards in it, the picture just showed the card box outer. :001_07:

What a surprise ....... totally sealed :w00t:

IMG_2011_01_03_3505EVER READY.JPG

To me, and only my personal opinion, the guy that cracked a darky and the started GEM, then sold it started Ever Ready, and there was a third company he started, then bought back GEM and Ever Ready made millions of razors all the same style under each brand name that were basically the same, so no they don't command a premium price or desirability unless it it not very common or very complete. :a17:

Attachments

• IMG_2011_01_03_3506EVER READY.JPG
    IMG_2011_01_03_3506EVER READY.JPG
    964 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_2011_01_03_3507EVER READY.JPG
    IMG_2011_01_03_3507EVER READY.JPG
    856.5 KB · Views: 13

EclipseRedRing

Is this one the 'Jewel' handle? memory is failing on some of the model names.
I am no expert here but I believe the correct nomenclature is to describe all such razors as an 'Ever Ready Chromium Razor' and there are two distinct types - first and second generation, of which my example is a second generation. As with many Gillette razors, it is the box or packaging that makes the set and defines the set name. Some describe them all with the generic name 'Streamline', but an actual Streamline is a Chromium Razor in a specific tapered ivory coloured clamshell case. The same razor in a different case could be an Ambassador, or a first or second generation Strop Set. The Jewel name specifically refers to the Ever Ready Chromium Razor in the silver metal case.

I am no expert here but I believe the correct nomenclature is to describe all such razors as an 'Ever Ready Chromium Razor' and there are two distinct types - first and second generation, of which my example is a second generation. As with many Gillette razors, it is the box or packaging that makes the set and defines the set name. Some describe them all with the generic name 'Streamline', but an actual Streamline is a Chromium Razor in a specific tapered ivory coloured clamshell case. The same razor in a different case could be an Ambassador, or a first or second generation Strop Set. The Jewel name specifically refers to the Ever Ready Chromium Razor in the silver metal case.
AH yes now the memory gets a firing neuron ... It would be that Streamline shape often described in stropper sets with that handle I was trying to remember, thank you, I will forget again tomorrow, but I will remember to not ask again.

Facebook Marketplace is a place to occasionally find buys: a few months ago I bought a GEM G-bar in fantastic condition for $5 plus $4 shipping.
I don’t know much about Facebook. I don’t have an account.

Do you think you were lucky to get that great deal? Or was that what you expected to pay more or less.

G-bars are one of the GEMS I have yet to try. Do they provide very smooth shaves? Where are they on the aggressiveness/efficiency scale? Easy to find the right angle for a comfortable shave?

Will this be an everyday razor or part of a rotation? I only use vintage SE’s.

Good for you. Enjoy your shaves with the new razor.

I just looked At eBay prices for G-bars.

Was between $8 - $50. Average looked to be $25-$35. Most were without a case and looked to be in good condition. Shipping varied.

Would you pay those prices? Do they seem fair/reasonable?

Sounds like you really did get a great deal, plus only $4 for shipping.

Have a great day.

Looked around on the bay, dont do facebook, and they are a bit pricier than when l was picking them up a few years ago. Whats worse, the quality wasnt what it shoud be, especially for the asking prices. A couple Gems on BST now.

Last edited:
Thank you for explaining BST.

To you, is that a fair price.

Will it be a daily driver or part of your rotation?

Have a great evening.

Enjoy your new razor.

Top Bottom