What's new

Stirling Syndicate

How are you guys having luck just lathering on the puck? I keep picking up to much soap. I have had better luck in a bowl.

I'm using a puck of anise pressed into the bottom of a mug, and lathering on the puck.

My routine is a soaked boar brush, shaken dry. I dip the tips in water and then lather on the puck for a minute. I then continue on my face for a minute. I usually need to dip the tips of the brush again.

This gives more than enough lather for 3 passes.

I found after I had a couple of pro-barber shaves, I should not skimp in the time taken to work the lather over my face, and this seemed to really help my lather technique no matter what cream/soap I'm using.

I had my first go with Stirling soap today, Lime. Lathering, it's difficult to match the consistency I'm accustomed to, but the performance is great. Very slick and my face is smooth and happy! I do like that lime scent.

I didnt feel like shaving last night. But I still wanted to break in my new boar brush I bought from Stirling. Some thoughts on the brush:
Its smaller than my omega pro.
I dont think it needs much in the way of breaking in to de-scent it. I'm not smelling anything like the omega had. I threw a bunch of water in with my sample of MITA and just went to town. I was essentially messing around. Holy cow! I made this amazing yogurt like lather. So I had to test with my other boar bush AND my 2 badgers. I made the lather in a ziploc plastic container and killed my sample. :) 2 samples down 10 to go!
We'll see how I feel about it in a years time. But for 6 bucks its an excellent brush. Once I break it in I think it will be great for my travel kit. Now I need to find something to protect the bristles while traveling. I normally use an empty tp roll by taping one end around the handle. It works for when I drive to visit family\friends but for airline travel I'd need something better.

I'm testing their brut AS balm. I'm not a brut guy, but man I love the balm. 10 hours later and my face still felt great. This was a night shave and after 6 hours of pillow time. They intend to lessen the scent. Which as it is currently, could replace my morning cologne and to change the consistency from a thick creme to something lighter.

I'd need a custom scent made if I were to use it as it is currently. Because I'd want it to replace my spray cologne.

Can any one describe Stirling soaps sharp dressed man?

It doesn't describe the scent on the website and could do with a little insight.

Been offered some too.

Can any one describe Stirling soaps sharp dressed man?

It doesn't describe the scent on the website and could do with a little insight.

Been offered some too.

I wish I could. But I cannot. It's very hard to describe...

What I can tell you is that it has a very mild scent. Very delicate. And when I first got it, I wasn't impressed. But I put it in the rotation, even though "I didn't like it". Now, it's still in my rotation, and even though "I don't like it" I keep it in the rotation, and strangely look forward to the morning when it's SDM's turn.

And I recently went on a work trip, and took one soap with me. Guess what I chose?

So, it's something that I tried not to like. I really did. But I'll be damned if I didn't fall in love with that freaking soap. And I don't even know why!

Sometimes I got a little mint in there but very faint. It is something I'd describe as a soft scent, not intensity, but it isn't sharp like a citrus at all to me.

I agree it is a very good scent, I didn't love it until I used it a couple times either.

I got my soaps today!

I can't believe how generous the sample puck is! I got Rose and it is huge for a sample.

I picked up Texas on Fire and Coniferous.

Texas on Fire is very intriguing—I really can smell the leather and smoke.

Coniferous is amazing. I absolutely love smelling it. I feel like I am in the woods.

Really looking forward to trying them out. I have a feeling I'll be adding more Stirling soaps in the near future :)

Here's a fairly dumb question: how do you folks attach the name of your soap to the top of your tin? I cut the round labels off my pucks and taped them to the tins with big pieces of clear packing tape. It's far from elegant, and there must be a better way. I wish Rod would send sticky labels with his pucks that would easily stick onto the tins.

How are you guys having luck just lathering on the puck? I keep picking up to much soap. I have had better luck in a bowl.

I swirl on the puck (pressing hard into the soap) for 10-30 seconds. Then I add a little water, and swirl in the bowl (and on top of the puck) lightly and quickly. No more than another 30 seconds. The key is not to press into the puck when you are whipping up the lather. Just add water a sprinkle at a time until it's just right. If you added too much, just dig into the puck more. I always end up with a lot of extra lather, and I simply put the lid on the bowl and save it for later. That lather will dry on top of the puck, and makes it even easier next time. If your lather isn't getting thick enough, just spend more time whipping it up.

I've had decent luck with a boar or horse brush, but I find my synthetic (Muhle HJM black fibre) works the best. It makes a beautiful creamy lather every time.

Top Bottom