What's new

Stirling Syndicate

Here's a fairly dumb question: how do you folks attach the name of your soap to the top of your tin? I cut the round labels off my pucks and taped them to the tins with big pieces of clear packing tape. It's far from elegant, and there must be a better way. I wish Rod would send sticky labels with his pucks that would easily stick onto the tins.

I did the exact same thing before using a label maker.

....how do you folks attach the name of your soap to the top of your tin?

Sometimes you can gently remove the label from the puck wrapper and there is enough glue left to put it on a tin. Sometimes you can't. I would also like to get an "extra" label option.

Rod, aka "Larry", any chance? It may just be too big a pain.

I usually print my own waterproof labels.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Sometimes you can gently remove the label from the puck wrapper and there is enough glue left to put it on a tin. Sometimes you can't. I would also like to get an "extra" label option.

Rod, aka "Larry", any chance? It may just be too big a pain.

I usually print my own waterproof labels.

+1

I also trim off the wrapper to the label and use packing tape when it can't be removed.

Just got a bunch of Stirling! MITA, Texas on fire and Barbershop pucks and samples of Bay Rum and Grapefruit........any suggestions on what to try first? I. Going to rotate two for a couple weeks. MITA and something else.

Oh yeah do I qualify as part of the syndicate?

Last edited:
Just got a bunch of Stirling! MITA, Texas on fire and Barbershop pucks and samples of Bay Rum and Grapefruit........any suggestions on what to try first? I. Going to rotate two for a couple weeks. MITA and something else.

Oh yeah do I qualify as part of the syndicate?

Barbershop or MITA would be my 1st choice.

Annndddd.. If you love Stirling soaps jump on board!

I picked up some Almond Crème because it's on sale and also some Black Cumin Orange. Haven't tried the BCO yet, but tried the Almond Crème last night. The scent in the tin is a bit sweet for my taste (it smells to me like some sweet black cherry/almond liqueur that ladies would drink), but once it's lathered up most of the sweetness disappears and the scent is mild and pleasant. I find Scots Pine easy to lather, but I think the Almond whips up an even creamier froth. Sometimes if I don't get the water level just right the SP lather starts thinning soon after I get it on my face, but the almond lather just sits there as thick as whipped cream until I shave it off. It's very slippery and nice. I hope the fact that it's on sale doesn't mean that Rod is planning to discontinue it.

Also picked up some more Scots Pine bath soap while I was at it and two more of the little boar brushes. They're pretty nice for the money, and the one I bought a month or so ago shows no inclination to shed.

Good work, Rod. Now give us some labels for our tins! :w00t:

I purchased a puck of Bay Rum, and samples of Barbershop and Sharp Dressed Man...they are just awesome. Rod also threw in a free sample of the Clubman, but I have not used it yet.

Just purchased the following samples from stirling! Sandlewood, Glacial Wintergreen, Iced Coffee, orange chill, margaritas in the arctic, almond creme, lemongrass capejut, and vanilla tangerine. Excited to join the club.

Can anyone here tell me the difference between the Black Ice and Glacial Obsidian soaps? Which is better?

Not better so much as "different levels". They are both anise/menthol soaps, and I have both.
The Glacial-Obsidian has much more menthol (to the point where some cannot stand it, but I love it), and twice the anise oil. I find it has a deeper, richer licorice scent with a hint of wintergreen from the copious amounts of menthol. The amount of menthol means that the lather tends to be just a touch thinner, which actually works well if you use a straight. I'm saving it for the blazing hot summer months.
Black Ice, on the other hand, is lower in menthol, so you don't smell it. The chill is much milder, but still noticeable; on par with MITA, if you have used that. The licorice scent is still very pronounced and rich. My favorite soap, I use it year-round.
Like I said, I have both, and love both. It's just a matter of how cold you like your soaps to be.

Holy crap the Glacial Wintergreen is intense. My face still feels crazy. Can't decide if its on fire or freezing. It definitely was slick and cushiony for a great shave but I don't know if I'll buy more after my sample. I received a few other samples today that I'll be trying out soon.

I tried my Sharp Dressed Man soap today, with a Sterling badger brush. Mostly, I could smell the brush...kinda sun-aged road kill odor that overwhelmed the soap. That faded quickly, however, and the soap had a REALLY complex scent. I didn't love it or hate it, but kept my nose busy for about an hour afterward. It's growing on me...

Not better so much as "different levels". They are both anise/menthol soaps, and I have both.
The Glacial-Obsidian has much more menthol (to the point where some cannot stand it, but I love it), and twice the anise oil. I find it has a deeper, richer licorice scent with a hint of wintergreen from the copious amounts of menthol. The amount of menthol means that the lather tends to be just a touch thinner, which actually works well if you use a straight. I'm saving it for the blazing hot summer months.
Black Ice, on the other hand, is lower in menthol, so you don't smell it. The chill is much milder, but still noticeable; on par with MITA, if you have used that. The licorice scent is still very pronounced and rich. My favorite soap, I use it year-round.
Like I said, I have both, and love both. It's just a matter of how cold you like your soaps to be.

Thanks so much for your very helpful information. The Black Ice to me is very cold, but not uncomfortable. I find the MITA even colder but still very pleasant. The Glacial which I have is the original which is so intense that I can feel the menthol effect for almost a half hour after my shave. I find the Black Ice's scent quite strong, but it does get milder during the shave.

I've been using a sample of Sharp Dressed Man this week. It was one of my favorite scents from the five samples I ordered, but I don't think my face is agreeing with it. I feel a slight burning sensation while it's on my face. On the bright side, I haven't seen any redness like other reports on here.

Top Bottom