What's new

How long to age?

I've smoked 3 year old gowrie and full Virginia flake and both were out of this world. From my research it seems that straight Virginias have an indefinite aging potential. I haven't smoked my pipes in a while (I'm more of a cigar guy) and have some tobaccos that are approaching the 4 year mark and I cant wait to revisit them!

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
For aged tobacco, House of Calabash blends some of the oldest tobacco I know of. Some of Steve Books's blends there include 40 and even 60 year old tobacco. These ancient blends are truly divine.

I also have a tin of 30-40 year old MacBaren's Roll Cake which is superb. I'm putting blends down for the long haul in my cellar.

I've never aged anything that long, but I've got some stuff with a good 5-10 years on it now. The one (at least of the ones I regularly smoked) that changed the most over time was Haddo's Delight. When it was new, couldn't stand it. Around 18 months, something happened and it tipped to awesome.

I am smoking my retirement tobacco, even though I am not retired. I think I am down to just over 100 pounds of tobacco right now. When I got out of the hospital back in 2012 my doctor told me that I could not smoke again (silly doctor), so I sold most of my pipes at a loss and gave away many pounds of tobacco. I began smoking again when my dad died and it has not caused any ill effects, but I sorely miss that tobacco that was given away and I had many hand made pipes that I dearly loved that can never be replaced. Over 40 years of collecting sold at about $10 a year. Anyway, my cellar is not what it once was.

Sorry you gave away so much stuff but glad you still have plenty of well-aged tobacco to enjoy.

I avoid doctors whenever possible.

I also have a tin of 30-40 year old MacBaren's Roll Cake which is superb. I'm putting blends down for the long haul in my cellar.

I have a few unopened MacBaren tins from the days when it was distributed by Switzer, but I don't know how long ago that was. I'm guessing at least 20 years?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have opened jars of 2015 and the flakes almost glisten in the light. Those jars are few and far between, but the tobacco in those jars is beyond compare. The tobacco almost look like it has been covered in tiny diamonds.
Just keep it up. I plan on returning to Ohio this autumn- since moving to Texas I haven't seen autumn (I moved here in 92). I have an uncle in Stupidville (Steubenville, OH) and one in Pittsburgh. I may have to knock on your door :biggrin:

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I have a few unopened MacBaren tins from the days when it was distributed by Switzer, but I don't know how long ago that was. I'm guessing at least 20 years?

I believe Swisher distributed MacBaren in the 90s up until 1998.

Old thread bump! Not quite thread necromancy, it's not THAT old.

Well, I finally got around to jarring my 2.75lbs of P&C Best Of The Rest. Since I wanted to make sure I have no excuses I went ahead and did it without heating/sterilizing the jars. I packed it in nice and tight, using a novelty oversized shotglass as a piston to compress it into Ball pint/16oz jars, and got what I'm guessing is 250-300 grams into each, about 9-11 ounces.

You must be using a hydraulic press to get it all in there.

Considering my results, I'm going to have to agree. I was afraid I'd break my improvised glass piston or the jar if I pushed any harder, and anyway after a certain amount of pushing it didn't seem to compress noticeably further.

Bump again. I packed 9 pounds of bulk into 18 jars. For the last 4 pounds I switched to a hammer with a wooden handle, holding the head and using the handle end as the piston, allowing me to push harder with confidence. I didn't end up packing any more in but it went faster. I covered both ends of the hammer with plastic bags like condoms to prevent its germs from getting involved.

Also, on the last pound I realized I could get it done even faster by doing it inside a bag large enough to work in. That last pound was in a sufficiently large bag that I started by scooping the tobacco directly with the jar amd realized it's faster than grabbing fistfuls and placing them on paper then funneling it into the jar.

I'm going to wait a while to see if the caps pop down, then dip the tops in paraffin as a backup seal.

One other note: Someone posted a link to a study showing that people trying to sterilize their jars at home make them worse instead of better, that they're as sterile as they'll be the first time you open them. I feel better about not messing with it.

Bump again. I packed 9 pounds of bulk into 18 jars. For the last 4 pounds I switched to a hammer with a wooden handle, holding the head and using the handle end as the piston, allowing me to push harder with confidence. I didn't end up packing any more in but it went faster. I covered both ends of the hammer with plastic bags like condoms to prevent its germs from getting involved.

Also, on the last pound I realized I could get it done even faster by doing it inside a bag large enough to work in. That last pound was in a sufficiently large bag that I started by scooping the tobacco directly with the jar amd realized it's faster than grabbing fistfuls and placing them on paper then funneling it into the jar.

I'm going to wait a while to see if the caps pop down, then dip the tops in paraffin as a backup seal.

One other note: Someone posted a link to a study showing that people trying to sterilize their jars at home make them worse instead of better, that they're as sterile as they'll be the first time you open them. I feel better about not messing with it.

That is about the same compression rate I'm getting. 16 oz of tobacco taking two pint jars.

Was it this thread where someone mentioned the lids popping on jars that were jarred at room temperature instead of food-style canned? I jarred mine when room temperature was similar to basement temperature and after a week in the basement they weren't popped, but it's been two weeks and I just opened one that was popped.

Top Bottom