What's new

Beanies...anyone else wear them?

So I'm out in Seattle for the weekend with my friends and it's colder than I'm used too.

I passed by a goorin bros store and decided I needed a hat to keep my head warm. But I ended up with this 100% cashmere beanie. Head is nice and warm and super comfortable.

Any of u guys like beanies?

Here's a selfie of myself in my new beanie...the SO here decided to photo bomb me though

$uploadfromtaptalk1393729175804.jpg

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Whenever someone says "beanie" I think of this:

proxy.php

2Q==

Whenever someone wants a woolen knit hat to cover head and ears in winter, I recommend a touque.

proxy.php

Knit cap- standard wear in the western NY snow belt. Probably had a dozen or more stashed in vehicles, office, home, etc.

I wear one in winter, I have one that was issued to me by the State Emergency Service that I only wear during training or call-outs, plus a nice grey one. Not any kind of fashion statement, just good for keeping my near bald head warm.

Seems like they are a form of function over form...I'm loving mine....but is this something that would go in the fashion sin thread? Cuz I'm loving my nice cozy head right now lol

I think they are deliberately unfashionable attire, if you are wearing one because it's cold, it's fine, if you are wearing one because you think it looks cool, I think you are missing the point.

I have a shaved head, and I live in a very cold area, so I wear them a lot. Usually Land's End or one I have from Headblade. It's a must have item here...

I think they are deliberately unfashionable attire, if you are wearing one because it's cold, it's fine, if you are wearing one because you think it looks cool, I think you are missing the point.

Yes, exactly! I grew up in Minnesota and you'd wear a knit cap when you'd go out sledding, skating, snowmobiling or whatever cold weather activity that required warmth. When they started becoming a fashion thing I couldn't believe it when I'd see the hipsters or "cool" celebrities wearing them out in L.A. I couldn't help but wonder why those idiots were wearing knit caps when it was 70 or 80 degrees outside.

I wear a surplus AirForce watch cap most of the time around the house to keep warm and conserve electric bills. It is comfortable and practical and stuffs away in my coat pocket when I don't need it, like when I go out shopping at the mall.

Under no circumstances will I ever wear a hat (or any other article of clothing) that advertises a sports team, a rock band, a city, a car company, or anything else. Its strictly solid colors for me, except for pin-stripe Oxford shirts and an occasional tie with some bright colors or other flair.

About that beanie cap with the propeller ... we had one customer at a store where I worked, and he was always coming in with different hats, mostly baseball-style caps. We'd make comments about his collection, and he tried to impress us each time with a new one. One day on a really hot day in summer, he wore one of those with the propeller on it, battery operated so it would actually turn and create a breeze ... that one really took the cake.

Wear 'em all Winter, myself, and like already mentioned above, I probably have a half dozen or more stashed in my truck, coat pockets, etc. Some for work that will fit under my hard hat, some for running, and others for miscellaneous wear.

When my hair grows out on the sides, it is probably equivalent to a #1 or #2 guard; freshly cut it is to the skin, so a beanie/watch cap is very functional headwear for me.

Is it cold and your head isn't too comfy? Wear a hat, beanies are warm.

Is it the middle of summer? Don't wear a beanie, you just look silly.

LOVE wearing beanies, although I prefer the slouched beanie look. No I'm not a hipster, for some reason I look like a criminal if I wear anything like the military style beanie mentioned above.

$Slouchy Beanie.jpg
LINK

Goorin's is my favorite. I bought an ivy cap at that same store. I wear it every day. Keeps the Seattle rain off my noggin.

I carry an orange Carhardt knit in my suitcase. When I was a kid, we called knit caps tobaggans.

$IMG_20140303_003315.jpg

Top Bottom