What's new

Beanies...anyone else wear them?

I have a fleece lined wool knit cap that I've had for ten years or so. It is starting to show signs of being old but it has seen a lot of outdoor use.

LOVE wearing beanies, although I prefer the slouched beanie look. No I'm not a hipster, for some reason I look like a criminal if I wear anything like the military style beanie mentioned above.

LOL> We certainly had some 'salty' nicknames for our 'issued' beanies.

Given I'm bald, the beanie is a pretty regular part of the wardrobe when it's cold out. I have a Turtlefur one that works really well.
I've always heard them referred to as beanies...toque is a new one on me. Looked it up, seems to cover quite a range of head wear from the "beanie" to chef's hats...

Given I'm bald, the beanie is a pretty regular part of the wardrobe when it's cold out. I have a Turtlefur one that works really well.
I've always heard them referred to as beanies...toque is a new one on me. Looked it up, seems to cover quite a range of head wear from the "beanie" to chef's hats...

I'm inclined to think that anyone calling a chef's hat a toque is either pulling your leg or lives somewhere where 'toque' isn't normally used.

In canada, at least, a toque is any soft, vaguely conical winterhat that covers the brow and back of the head. Typically they are made of either a knit fabric or synthetic fleecy material, and they often (but by no means always) have a pom-pom on the peak.

I'm inclined to think that anyone calling a chef's hat a toque is either pulling your leg or lives somewhere where 'toque' isn't normally used.

In canada, at least, a toque is any soft, vaguely conical winterhat that covers the brow and back of the head. Typically they are made of either a knit fabric or synthetic fleecy material, and they often (but by no means always) have a pom-pom on the peak.

Merriam Webster told me. chef's hat referred to as toque blanche. First definition is that of a close fitting brimless woman's hat.
I guess I live where "toque" isn't tossed about in the everyday vernacular. Learn something new everyday.:thumbup:

Merriam Webster told me. chef's hat referred to as toque blanche. First definition is that of a close fitting brimless woman's hat.
I guess I live where "toque" isn't tossed about in the everyday vernacular. Learn something new everyday.:thumbup:

I was curious and googled it a bit - apparently "toque" as a winter hat is a specifically Canadian term, generally unknown beyond our frosty borders. :scared:

My apologies!

I was curious and googled it a bit - apparently "toque" as a winter hat is a specifically Canadian term, generally unknown beyond our frosty borders. :scared:

My apologies!
At least one of them did make it south of the border around 1971. Brewer and Shipley sang about the event in "One Toque Over The Line."

Last edited:

My apologies!

None necessary! I am surprised that I haven't run into the term where I now call home, which is ~15 miles south of the Canadian border (B.C.). As for milk in bags, haven't seen that, but what I have seen is an entire room at the local Costco devoted to dairy products which are purchased at alarming rates by our Canadian neighbors. I've seen carts coming out of there with no less than 20 gallons of milk...then it's off to the gas station with 5 or 6 or more fuel containers.

Fun Fact: Milk in Bags(tm) is an Ontario and eastern Canada thing. The prairies and the western provinces are every bit as puzzled by it as you are.

I'd have to disagree with that. I have distinct childhood memories of growing up in Alberta and pouring my milk from a bag.

I'd have to disagree with that. I have distinct childhood memories of growing up in Alberta and pouring my milk from a bag.

I can't refute your own memories, but I recently spent two years in Calgary and people delighted in making fun of me for coming from "that place where they put milk in bags". I think there were some Edmontonians who made the same crack, so I'm going to assume that either your hometown was an anomaly or that things have changed since you were there.

Back on topic: I think it's easier to find a beanie/toque that fits a milk bag than it is to find one that fits over the whole jug.

Discuss.

Top Bottom