What's new

Polo shirts or button down shirts for work

I bought the slimmest fitting v necks I could. First i bought regular shirts, then hanes undershirts, then the slim fit vnecks. Still uncomfortable as hell.... I'm just not an undershirt guy...

Ribbed Tees: http://ribbedtee.com/store/product/classic-fit-white-v-neck-undershirt/

Yes, they are worth it and will likely change your mind about whether you are an undershirt guy. I bought 8 in Nov-2011 (just checked the website) and only one of those originals has started to develop a small hole by the "V" in the neck.

Thanks Tim. I'll give those a shot too. I wear slim fit dress shirts so maybe that's why the undershirt thing annoys me so much??

Same. I wear slim fit button down shirts to work every day. I quit on undershirts because they just bunch up. The only ones I ever found that I like were a very strechy cotton that was basically skin tight like the ones in that link.

Something about polos tucked into slacks doesn't look good on me so I have rarely worn polos to any office I have worked in. Sometimes on the fiftieth day of 100+ heat I give in and wear a polo. Nobody thinks the office building should have as much AC as I would prefer. My current building is outright hot all the time. It's three law firms and a real estate investor. You'd think we could afford to turn the AC down a few degrees.

Same. I wear slim fit button down shirts to work every day. I quit on undershirts because they just bunch up. The only ones I ever found that I like were a very strechy cotton that was basically skin tight like the ones in that link.

Yep the bunching and the extra bulk drives me nuts. If I had regular fit dress shirts it might be a different story who knows. Plus my pants are quite fitted as well. Tucking in two shirts just adds to the uncomfortable-ness

It depends on how lazy I am. If I feel like ironing a button down, other wise a polo. Also if clients are coming through the building will definitely be wearing a button down.

I wear a mix of both.
For Polo shirts, I go with Banana Republic. They have XL-T's, which I need.

For button downs, I normally find a brand that fits well and then just buy all the colors of it I like.
Like I do with most things. I have 8 solid colored BR polo shirts. My closet looks like a rainbow.

My office is a pretty even mix of button down vs polos. I mostly wear polos in the warmer months, as I own a lot from also playing golf. In the cooler months I'll wear a button down and perhaps a sweater depending on the actual temp. I've been interested in looking at some seersucker type shirts to wear in warmer months as well.

As for brand, a lot of my polos are from various sporting good brands. They'll sport a team I support. For button down shirts, I really like the ones I have from Eddie Bauer and LL Bean. These are more casual button downs (not worn with a suit), but are very comfortable.

I've been issues polo shirts with my agency badge on them as class B shirts and I left them in the bag. I prefer to wear a shirt and tie every single day the way my dad, uncles and grandfather did when they worked for the government. Polos and BDUs or academy pants are fine for the range but I can't figure out why so many officers wear them all the time.

Polo shirt doesn't really cut it for me - I guess it just feels casual?

Also I'm sensitive to temperature changes so I like to have sleeves that I can roll up or down as needed.

A button down is the most casual look I ever wear to work, even on Friday's when it's jeans days. I used to feel ok with a button down paired with a sport coat, but I've had a shift of thinking. I really only like them now with slacks sans jacket, so I'm moving towards dress shirts with point collars only when wearing sport coat or suit.

Most people I work with look like the slept in their "nice, dress polo shirts", and don't even get me started on matching colors and/or textures. Today was green undressed Dockers with a maroon striped polo from one of our more refined employees. Some days I can hardly look.

Either or for me. I work at a small mfg co and really could wear decent jeans and a polo every day, but I'm in management and always prefer to dress a bit better. I like button down shirts for the most part as I find it more business-like (and it's too cool here in New England except for June-Sept), but I do spend time in the Engineering lab and out in the shop so I do opt may opt for a polo shirt then. I'm a golfer, albeit a bad one, so I have some nicer golf shirts that I'll wear to the office.

Top Bottom